Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCheeky Monkey View Post
    Last week
    That's very unfair and inconsistent. Interesting that it was the Duracel and not the recharcheables that were taken. The guy must have had a need for them! Perhaps if you had said they were used and you were taking them home to dispose of safely?
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    Interesting that it was the Duracel and not the recharcheables that were taken.

The guy must have had a need for them!
    That was my take on it

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Just a quick update
    The security although extremely excessive is quick and efficient.
    Just back yesterday and there are four points of security checks each check seems to get more involved and personal.
    The most intense was the last check at the gate itself.
    They keep our British flights separate from other nations and we undergo extra security including bomb residue swabs being taken.
    The flight I was on must have included at least 25% divers and their kit.
    Nobody that I heard of had any issue with batteries.

So although extreme the security was efficient and not a problem from my experience yesterday.

Regards taz

Last edited by taz; 27-04-2019 at 04:37 PM.

I used to be Cheeky UnCheeky Monkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    update - passed through again on 7 May 2019

passport check to enter the airport
    baggage check of all luggage, and walk through a detector on entering, separate queues for men and women (not really enforced)
    after check in, passport control, and then the main check area for cabin bags and body frisk - again separate queues (enforced), bags through a scanner, and typical shoes and belt off type stuff with a hands on pat down
    then finally a UK only 'empty your bag' type rummage check (again separate queues) and swabs by the bomb squad

none of it unpleasant or OTT in my view, I left my duracell batteries in the hold this time though !

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The Female "Ruse" is actually not a ruse but politeness to women. Throughout Arabic nations you'll see lots of female only line, queuing areas etc - it's not because of religious separation just being polite towards women - normally these queues go much faster.

Hurghada International has always been a CF especially for the "fines" which are pocketed. If you arrive at the domestic side (havign flown via Cairo for instance) it's a dream - also you don't' have to deal with the screaming kids and the UK "ASBO parents"

I used to be Cheeky UnCheeky Monkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diving Dubai View Post
    The Female "Ruse" is actually not a ruse but politeness to women. Throughout Arabic nations you'll see lots of female only line, queuing areas etc - it's not because of religious separation just being polite towards women - normally these queues go much faster.
    I think it had more to do with the close nature of the search (at all but the first check)- it wasn't faster

I did nearly get in a female only carriage once though - through first timer ignorance !

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Just went through Hurghada security. Took less than 15 minutes to get through all 5 checks including a bomb swap.
    Had regs, computer, analyzer, light and loads of spare batts in my hand luggage.

Everything was very smooth...

/Jakob

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Went through Hurghada on Friday 21st June. Security was excessive and inconsistent. We spoke to an agent of a dive travel company who goes through there every few weeks and said it was never the same twice - it all depends on what security team is on duty on a particular day.

We had our bags x-rayed before getting in to the airport. Had our bags labelled and had to have them all x-rayed again before the checked baggage was taken away. Further x-ray of hand baggage at security, walk through electronic arch having removed anything metal followed by pat down. Some agents did a far more thorough pat down than others. I was given a very personal check with particular attention between my legs! My wife always needs a wheelchair at airports because she cannot walk long distances. She was made to get out of the wheelchair well before security and her stick was taken away. Having to walk 50 yards without her stick was an extremely painful process, especially when she was ordered to hurry up.

UK passengers were then subjected to a further and even more rigorous security check. Cabin bags were x-rayed, yet again and then had to be completely emptied and all items swabbed for explosives. No problem at all with batteries or electronic equipment. What got the security guy really annoyed at the UK check was that my wife had a small canister of hairspray (75ml) in her handbaggage in the specified clear plastic bag. He grabbed this, put his face, with foul smelling tobacco breath about three inches from my face - I thought he was going to stuff it up my nostril and snarled 'not allowed'. This was confiscated along with our alcohol hand gel. Why this was only unacceptable at the UK only security, I don't know.

The other crazy thing was the obsession with checking passports - no fewer than NINE times. The most pointless one was emerging from the border control where our passports had been inspected and checked electronically, another man was checking them again no more than five feet way! What was the point?

Another point to watch is that the price of food and drinks at the stall in the UK security area is higher than the prices at the stalls in the other parts of the airport.

It seems is is somewhat pot-luck as to the reception you will get on the day.
    Last edited by Allan Carr; 25-06-2019 at 07:10 PM.

Established TDF Member Eddie Clamp's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Just returned from Hurghada after a week on BO2 Blue Fin . Have to say the airport is a quantum leap better than it was. No buses, NO BUSES! On arrival, a walk through the terminal off the aircraft. Usual melee through visa and security but not too bad.

Departure - better access through first scan, although it was the usual remove belt, shoes etc. Through to check in - Tui appear to be training more staff - so good! Through the next scan with male, female individual queues. No real problems. Through into departures where there is more room. Finally to the gate and the last check. Very well carried out with officials at desk, very polite but efficient, checking all my hand baggage, lifting out laptop and looking at my regs (stowed all batteries in my hold baggage to be safe). Again NO BUSES and straight on the a/c although there was no call forward by seat numbers, so was a little chaotic.

Overall - no complaints :
    Last edited by Eddie Clamp; 21-12-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Batteries in the hold (if they are lithium) still goes against the international wisdom that everyone else works to. Still, their airport, their rules, you can't argue with them.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast