Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1w View Post
    Well Buhlmann is comparable to the Level 2 tables. Just he didn't go further and do tables just for lower latitudes which Hennessy did. I doubt either of them were designed for significant deco.
    Exactly.

For any doubters out there, the standard Buhlman tables which give 3mins @ 6m and 14mins @3m are valid from 0-700m. That's level 2 territory (and level 3 on a bad day). I've done some digging as my Bulhman's aren't to hand, but there's a copy here:

http://www.cmas.co.za/Documentation/...ble.0-700m.pdf

Look at the bottom right and you'll see the altitude range they're valid from and to.

A table that is valid up to 700m (the Buhlman table Axeman quoted) is always going to be more conservative than one that is a sea-level table (BSAC Level-1). To make a fair comparison you need to compare the tables that are valid at the same altitude - ie BSAC level 2s.

Janos
    Last edited by Janos; 10-05-2017 at 04:33 PM.
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't climb a ladder with a large bell in both hands - Vic Reeves
    Hellfins - a friendly London dive club
    My music video: Dive the UK, cos that's the way it is. Huh!

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Saw this today and thought of this thread - http://scubadiverlife.com/in-defense-of-dive-tables/

I tend to still plan on tables just to get a rough ball park. Don't know why, probably because I was trained on them and like the visual simplicity. At the end of the day, any theory is a guide, and you can dive the perfect profile and still get bent. The old '88's are simple to use (so long as you don't do level transfers...) and for simple dives, they'll give you a starting point for expected run times and deco.

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
    Saw this today and thought of this thread - http://scubadiverlife.com/in-defense-of-dive-tables/

I tend to still plan on tables just to get a rough ball park. Don't know why, probably because I was trained on them and like the visual simplicity. At the end of the day, any theory is a guide, and you can dive the perfect profile and still get bent. The old '88's are simple to use (so long as you don't do level transfers...) and for simple dives, they'll give you a starting point for expected run times and deco.
    That article makes no sense whatsoever. It uses the same logic Bible apologists do.

If a computer has a particular level of unreliability then a dive timer shares that unreliability, too. I've never had a software failure on a mainstream, recreational dive computer since I started diving in the 90's. If anything is going to fail, it is something physical. Battery, depth sensor, lost computer when the strap breaks, etc. These are universal. Or maybe you are using one of those super reliable, highly accurate mechanical, slat wall depth gauges made in China by the Bing Bong Dong International Sporting Goods Company...

Dive tables are universal? Are they? Which one is that? Because I've got half a dozen slates in the bottom of my kit box, each with different numbers from different models on.

If you track your dives then you can resort to tables if your computer fails? How so? A decent length, no deco midrange dive on a computer will need deco if you put the numbers in a table. Which you didn't do. Which invalidates your table.

Dive tables teach you how to do advanced diving? The only time most gas divers ever use a table is to answer the exam questions. I cannot think of a time when I used a physical table to plan a gas dive. Ever. In twenty years of trimix diving. Not once.

Iíve observed many divers logging their dives, and itís not until they do so that the reality of nitrogen load really sinks in.
    The hubris in that statement alone was enough for me. I wish he'd put it at the start and I could've stopped reading there and then.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post
    Dive tables teach you how to do advanced diving? The only time most gas divers ever use a table is to answer the exam questions. I cannot think of a time when I used a physical table to plan a gas dive. Ever. In twenty years of trimix diving. Not once.
    I have to confess I have home cut ccr tables with bailouts on the back. I use these for planning ocean diving for anything shallow than 80m, since its a quick look to see what sort of bottom times i can reasonably bailout from with the volumes Im carrying.

As to the computers/d-timers reliablity difference, yup. all the failures I've seen of either have fallen into 3 categories, failed depth sensor, failled battery or flood (usually related to a battery change). I am of course ignoring anything hammerhead related, those buggers fail just so your buddies can laugh at you for buying one

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ebt View Post
    I have to confess I have home cut ccr tables with bailouts on the back. I use these for planning ocean diving for anything shallow than 80m, since its a quick look to see what sort of bottom times i can reasonably bailout from with the volumes Im carrying.
    You plan dives?

As to the computers/d-timers reliablity difference, yup. all the failures I've seen of either have fallen into 3 categories, failed depth sensor, failled battery or flood (usually related to a battery change). I am of course ignoring anything hammerhead related, those buggers fail just so your buddies can laugh at you for buying one
    I'd say diving a Hammerhead gives you a far better awareness of where your deco is at any moment in time than tables do. You need to know because it's liable to switch itself off just when you really need it

I always enjoy the 1min at 3m stop that lasts about an hour.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Part time bubble-free.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post
    The hubris in that statement alone was enough for me. I wish he'd put it at the start and I could've stopped reading there and then.
    Similar to the "battlefield calcs" then?!! That's what rea advanced divers use apparently.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617