Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_6301 View Post
    I think it's a house brand?

Generically, I've been through a LOT of cheap cordless drills and never really been happy with them until my latest purchase, which was the DeWalt 10.8V drill and driver combo set that Screwfix occasionally have on offer.

For jobs such as boarding out a loft or other carpentry stuff, the pair of devices is awesome. Add an all-in-one drill bit that does pilot, shank clearance and countersink to the drill, a decent quality set of Wera bits to the driver and it makes things quick, easy, repeatable. Using one device, you are forever changing things.

Look at battery availability and speed of charging too. Ideally, you want a minimum of n+1 batteries, where n is the number of tools and maybe n-1 chargers. This way, if it's a job that's on fot several hours and is quite intensive on the tools, you have say 2 tools with batteries in use and one on charge at all times. Ideally, you'd buy one more battery and one more charger, but we're not made of money and there's dive kit to buy too!

Look at the rated max power of the tool and the battery rating. In this case, it's a 18v, 1.5Ah battery and a 6o min charge time. Carefully, they don't tell you what the tool runs at, but if we assume 200W at 18v, then the current draw is 11A. From a 1.5Ah battery, that's about 8 minutes run time at max tilt boogie. Duty cycle of say 25% and you're talking 32 mins run time on one battery. 2 batteries included, 30 mins charge time... yeah, that's kinda ok.

DeWalt ones here: http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dck...win-pack/3292t for 120.

These have 1.3Ah batteries, run 10.8v and have a 30 min charger included. 200ish watts, 10.8v, With 3 batteries, is 18.5A, so in theory only 4.2 mins full tilt or 16 mins at 25% duty cycle. In reality, that's about right in the case of the impact driver, but the drill lasts way longer. They're about OK in terms of duty cycle. If I was doing it professionally, I'd go for the 18V deal with 3 batteries at 250, because of the longer battery life.

I'd go for one or two extra batteries on the 10.8v set at 24.99 each but the chargers are heinously expensive, like 105 each, FFS. Hence for the same money as the 10.8v set, 2 extra batteries (total 4) and an extra charger (total 2) at approx. 250 all in, you are better going for the 18v version, which has 2.0Ah batteries (200w, 18v, 11.1A, 11 mins at full tilt, nearly 45 mins at 25% duty cycle, so you don't need a 4th battery or second charger).

Entirely depends on how hard you'll work them and how long for in one sitting.

For drilling in to anything other than wood or aluminium (maybe thin gauge mild steel) you'll be wanting a corded hammer drill. Depending on what the construction of your house is like and how hardcore you want to go, I would definitely consider something with both SDSPlus and normal chucks, plus a chisel/drill/hammer selector. This will give you options.

In terms of customer service, screwfix are ACE. I had a 1.3Ah battery pack that would not charge. Took it in, they looked me up (I had binned the receipt), found the purchase, replaced it there and then with a 1.5Ah pack as the 1.3s were out of stock. Result.

In general, if you want to know about the good, bad and ugly of consumer / "Pro-Sumer" grade tools, check out a YouTube channel run by a guy called AvE. Search for BOLTR (Bored of Lame Tool Reviews).
    considering you have a corded drill for heavier work these would be very useful, and they are a lot smaller. Don't be put off by the 10.8 volts..... I use the bosch 10.8 range all the time in Studios, fantastic bits of kit.
    Happiness cannot be travelled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude.

Denis Waitley

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Cordless drills? Cordless......pfft, unlikely! Perhaps the drill bit really stays still and someone turns the universe?

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finless View Post
    Cordless drills? Cordless......pfft, unlikely! Perhaps the drill bit really stays still and someone turns the universe?
    The world already revolves around me so if you are correct and I use a cordless drill, will the earth stop?
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    don't buy it. it's cheap junk. get a makita even the cheap makita cordless drills last forever. good power tools are a pleasure to use and I've never regretted buying quality power tools but every single time I've bought cheap ones I've regretted it. I'd rather buy second hand quality power tools than a new piece of cheap junk.

my power tool go to brands would be

cordless drills - makita
    circular saws - Dewalt / makita
    multitool - Fein
    jigsaw - Bosch the blue ones (and if anything else use bosch blades)
    angle grinders - makita
    compound mitre saws makita/dewalt
    soldering irons - weller
    multimeter - fluke

I have an 30 year old metabo drill that is bulletproof but the newer stuff doesn't look as good.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_6301 View Post
    In general, if you want to know about the good, bad and ugly of consumer / "Pro-Sumer" grade tools, check out a YouTube channel run by a guy called AvE. Search for BOLTR (Bored of Lame Tool Reviews).
    As the proud owner of 'skookum as frig' and 'release the shmoo' t-shirts I endorse this view. Best youtube tool channel there is.

Buy an impact driver. You won't regret it. 100% more fun than a drill/driver.
    The worlds most boring man.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Personally I have Ryobi 18V drill/driver set - with 2 1.3Ah batteries and 1 charger. For my use (DIY) they are perfect.

Assuming I was pushing hard I would get another battery so that I would have one working, one spare and one charging. If I assume (based on Ian's calc's) about 20-25 minutes of life per battery, that means I work the first for 20, charge it and use the second for 20, and then switch to the third. By the time I have 3 flattened batteries its lunchtime (or time for a brew ) and time for them catch up on charging. Unless you are doing something like plasterboard or flooring where you are only screwing with no cutting etc, I doubt you will run out of charge. If you are doing that much screwing, better hire an autofeed screwdriver.

The other beauty of the system is that all their tools use the same batteries so I have a palm sander and circular saw that use the same batteries.

Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    As the proud owner of 'skookum as frig' and 'release the shmoo' t-shirts I endorse this view. Best youtube tool channel there is.

Buy an impact driver. You won't regret it. 100% more fun than a drill/driver.
    That's the cock for dolly!
    DISCLAIMER: If you don't understand this shit, ask a grown up, preferably someone with deep pockets, who your widow/kids can sue. Don't trust people on the internet with your life, your credit card details or your naked selfies! This advice may contain, or indeed be written by someone who is (clinically), nuts.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    The world already revolves around me so if you are correct and I use a cordless drill, will the earth stop?
    Yes but only if Brexit succeeds or fails. Otherwise, it will go around twice as fast.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    Personally I have Ryobi 18V drill/driver set - with 2 1.3Ah batteries and 1 charger. For my use (DIY) they are perfect.

The other beauty of the system is that all their tools use the same batteries so I have a palm sander and circular saw that use the same batteries.

I've got the same (now 84 from B&Q). It manages for me for a day of DIY screwing down floorboards or plasterboarding ceilings.

As Neil says, the great thing about sharing batteries is that I also have a right angle drill and multitool using the same battery. The only problem with that is that I'm starting to think I could really do with a third battery!

Actually, at 84 it's almost worth buying another one to have 2 extra batteries!
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    don't buy it. it's cheap junk. get a makita even the cheap makita cordless drills last forever. good power tools are a pleasure to use and I've never regretted buying quality power tools but every single time I've bought cheap ones I've regretted it. I'd rather buy second hand quality power tools than a new piece of cheap junk.

my power tool go to brands would be

cordless drills - makita
    circular saws - Dewalt / makita
    multitool - Fein
    jigsaw - Bosch the blue ones (and if anything else use bosch blades)
    angle grinders - makita
    compound mitre saws makita/dewalt
    soldering irons - weller
    multimeter - fluke

I have an 30 year old metabo drill that is bulletproof but the newer stuff doesn't look as good.
    FFS why not tell him to buy the rebreather of all fooking cordless drills..............

The Kitchen fitter special from Festool.

https://www.toucantools.co.uk/festoo...DTsaAsAk8P8HAQ

He could probably buy a street in Towcester with that sort of money !!
    Happiness cannot be travelled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude.

Denis Waitley

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast