Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post

I have had 2 front entry membranes (Seaskin & Otter). You definitely need the telescopic body for front entry.
    If you're going for made to measure in neoprene they do not need to be telescopic. I've had northern diver front entry neoprene suits which were mtm and they were not telescopic all that's required is a small degree of contortion to pull the neck seal over your head and same on taking it off which isn't difficult to do. Can't see the O3 suits being any different. The zips, especially if fitted with a zipper guard, will last longer than the telescopic ones as they aren't folded over where the suit material is folded - a DUI front entry I once owned needed the zip replaced more often than the northern diver ones.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks to everyone for their advice... This is also my first time considering Kubi Dry Gloves... does anyone have any experience with them? For reference I currently wear Northern Diver 5mm gloves in the summer / autumn and in the winter / spring I wear 7mm Othree gloves. I am typically the first person to get cold after a dive. The added dexterity over having 7mm gloves in the winter seems like a good idea. Having said that, I do think I would be the only person in my club with them if I did opt for them so that puts me off them I must confess.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I went for fitted Kubi rings on my suit a couple of years ago. I never got ‘cold hands’ specifically using 5mm neoprene gloves, but was starting to feel the cold in general having lost ~20kg body weight (hence the new suit!)

Definitely feel warmer overall - and I find I have more dexterity with those and thin under gloves than I had with 5mm neoprene gloves, if that’s a concern!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Had kubis a couple of years and love them. Do it.

TDF Member
    a city about as far form the sea as you can get in the UK
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I did a few dives late last year and after a dive in Wrasybury were I found my neoprene glove had a hole a finger tip I went to the kubis, and the experience was great and I am still using the Kubis (although with no liners) in the water at the moment.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    So folks, bit of an update..

Othree shipped out a Ri-2100 for measure as part of their fitting from home service, and I've got the opportunity to try it on. I am very impressed with the quality, however there's one problem that's preventing me from going through with the purchase.

I've been trying out different motions in the suit, and something that struck me as very difficult is that attempting to reach behind my back, e.g. if I were attempting to reach for a valve on a twinset. There is a lot of restriction here, which I believe is because of the rear zip.

How do you Ri-2100 / Othree suit divers manage that? I am well aware that the Ri-2100 is popular with plenty of UK technical divers, I am sure they are capable of reaching their pillar valves and that there's something I am missing here or something is at fault.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    If you are struggling to reach the valve, then perhaps the suit is too tight. You can get them to add extras to the flank to allow extra movement.

HTH
    JJ wanker

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I’ve got an Ri2 , to be honest the majority of my diving in it has been ccr but I originally I dived twins in it and occasionally use a twin set and can do valve stuff. If they do some sort of zoom or photos I’m sure they’ll see what’s needed where. I have just got a new O3 , 1.8 mm neo front entry and it seems awesome so far.(MTM)

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    O3 will alter the suit as required - that is part of the process (you are effectively getting a MTM but with trying it at home instead of in the shop). Simply let them know what the issue is during the consultation process (it is done by video I think) and they will attend to it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I had a look at a front entry OThree and they couldn't really do it properly.

To get a front zip suit over your head, you need some extra body length. If you look at a membrane they fold over at the waist, something easy to do with thin material.

With the OThree, the neoprene can't do this as it's too stiff and you end up with a thick spare tyre round your waist. So the only way this can be done is with a comedy baggy crotch that hangs down. So that really put me off- try climbing a ladder with your knees tied together...!

The only manufacturer to successfully do this is DUI with their CF200, as they make the suit 20% bigger from 3mm neoprene then compress it in a pressure pot of water overnight to squish the material so it's really thin, sort of a halfway house between neoprene and membrane. The internal braces are critical to pull the waist up to the right place so you can then fold the excess over.

There are some membrane manufacturers who don't let in quite enough material so you see divers really struggling to get in their suits, and also stressing the zip ends in a worrying manner. They also use the cheaper back length zip instead of an extra long, compounding the problem massively.

I currently dive a rear zip Ri2-100 and it's great.
    Last edited by Woz; 18-09-2020 at 09:44 AM.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast