Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yeah well I hate going to London, Ok the last time was to Grovenor Square owing to the illogical thinking of them over the Atlantic but hey Even when occasionally the attractions of London, and I admit there are many, suck me in I don't feel comfortable. I don't feel comfortable in Sharm or Hurgarda either inspite of the welcoming from those whose living depends on tourists, which is great. So I think Hurgada wins for me the attractions outweigh the discomfort unlike London.
    Thanks for a great report getting up to date with security in Sharm.
    But I still have reservations, the world has not solved the terrorism problem, or the number of guns in the US, and it behoves everyone to undertake their personal risk assessment where ever they are going. 30 years ago Indonesia was still "unstable" now for diving it is probably one of the safer dive destinations.
    But then it is difficult for any normally informed (ie via media and government) to really assess travel risks. It will be thirty years next year since Lockerbie and no one on that flight gave the slightest thought to terrorism on a flight from one developed country to another. Security systems and there application have evolved hugely since then, but so has the threat. There are remarkably few get through and those appear to be where application not systems are inadequate.

PS Like the turtle!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Tim Digger; 19-04-2017 at 06:32 PM.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Our son went to Paris about 4 years ago with his then girlfriend and hated it. He didn't feel safe in the neighbourhood of his hotel and felt positively at threat whilst on public transport a couple of times. He won't ever go back.
    He's currently a project engineer in the nuclear industry and as such feels his future lies outside of the UK. He's got a huge hankering for South Korea which currently has one of the world's most dangerous lunatics breathing down it's neck. He's unphased by any perceived threat. His mother on the other hand....

Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Exactly, all about personal choice. I really, really love turtles and was very happy to see a few this trip, they never fail to make me smile
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Established TDF Member turnerjd's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have reservations too.

While I would happily go if I was single and didn't have a diving mini-me, Egypt is a no-no given that mini-me would want to come too.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerjd View Post
    I have reservations too.

While I would happily go if I was single and didn't have a diving mini-me, Egypt is a no-no given that mini-me would want to come too.
    That's fair enough . There was a little lad doing a discover scuba off the boat and as I was the only customer going in for the third dive, his parents asked if I could take some photos for them before we headed off on the dive. He was so excited and so happy underwater, it must be lovely diving with your daughter
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yes, much fun is had diving with daughter.

It is also the cause of many domestic problems as mum isn't a diver, get stressed already when dad goes diving, so I leave you to imagine her state when both of us go diving.....

Last week of May, father and daughter are off (without mum) to the south of Corsica with our club...... organising that was almost divorce inducing....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    FCO advice is still green for Sharm, terrorism threat is still high for Egypt, and severe for UK. I know where I would rather be today...

I do wish everyone would just chill out and go diving. Less killing and more chilling. Ho hum.

Time to plan more holidays

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by smileydiver View Post
    FCO advice is still green for Sharm, terrorism threat is still high for Egypt, and severe for UK. I know where I would rather be today...

I do wish everyone would just chill out and go diving. Less killing and more chilling. Ho hum.

Time to plan more holidays
    Agree wholeheartedly.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    Agree wholeheartedly.
    +1

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Definitely agree to these comments. Smiley with you 100%, just booked Shagra for a week in august and a resort up the road to chill for a week, can't wait. Plenty of space ! And cheap as chips

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast