Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    Yes but I bet it was on 1 bar O2 on a rebreather not OC 32% which may be "less effective". Be interested in the ref.
    More likely 70% than 1 bar O2, Tim. But the point is the same. Not seen many go onto O2 unless they feel bent. Personally I stop on the 70% ~5 mins after surfacing - just the pick-up, get out and doff time.

Matt.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonG View Post
    I am returning to diving after a long lay off, in short I dived on and off from 5 yrs old (with my dad!) through to the age of 28 when a PFO bent me a couple of times, skin and neurological (visual disturbance). At the time we were doing air at around 50m with deco on 50%.

Naturally I gave up, but several years later got the PFO closed and have done a handful of dives since without issue.

Now though I have booked a trip to the Red Sea, a week long live aboard, 3 day dives and 1 night dive. I will be using nitrox on a nitrox computer and pretty much diving NDL and just weighing up whether to also book a deco stage to improve off gassing given the multi dive/multi day profiles.

Will be hydrating well, not drinking and resting up in between but obviously don't want to create any additional risk and happy to pay for a rich mix, but not sure if it would be necessary given the profiles (circa 30-40m max).

I stay on top of fitness and weight and am researching latest theory like the NEDU/deep stop stuff but just want to be safe.
    Hi JonG

I had my PFO fixed in early in 2014 after similar skin bends and visual disturbances, I have completed over 150 dives since then around the world with no recurrences whatsoever. However, for my own piece of mind I do the following:
    - use nitrox 32% whenever possible
    - hydrate well, all day and evening
    - have an afternoon off in a week of diving and a day off if doing 10 days (I.e. Two live aboards back to back)
    - set my Suunto to P1 I.e slightly more conservative
    - have nice long stops and very slow ascents to the surface (very important to me)

Generally I don't deco dive and I don't think you will be allowed in Egypt on a recreational dive trip.

The only issue I've had since my PFO fixed has been an ear infection from our check dive in Maldives near Male when I forgot the ear spray.

Enjoy your dives, monitor your own diving, stay within the limits you are happy with, listen to what your body tells you and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123