X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spirit of Guernsey
    Established WTF Member
    • Dec 2012

Diving With Contact Lenses

A rare infection left Irenie Ekkeshis blind in one eye - and it seems she may have caught it simply by handling her contact lenses with wet fingers.
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine – French critic and historian (1828-93)
  • MadUKDiver
    TDF Member
    • Aug 2014

DON'T: Use your lenses for swimming, hot tubs or water sports, unless wearing goggles
    Pfew! Wearing contacts has transformed my diving enjoyment
    “We cannot banish dangers, but we can banish fears. We must not demean life by standing in awe of death” -- David Sarnoff

Comment

• Spinal
      TDF Member
      • May 2016

I too dive with lenses - fresh and saltwater. My optician freaked a little when I told him, he gave me this advice:
      - after diving with lenses, take them out and throw them away (I'm on dailies)
      - put a few drops of an antiseptic eye drop in each eye, and don't wear lenses for 30-60 minutes (apparently the amoebas need time to burrow into your cornea, and blinking helps not get them stuck... when you don't have lenses that is)

so far... so good..

M.

Comment

• Allan Carr
        Established TDF Member
        • Dec 2012

I dived with contact lenses for many years, as did my wife. I used monthly disposables and my wife gas-permeable hard lenses. Fortunately, neither of us had any problems.

Comment

• notdeadyet
          Nicotine, valium, vicodin...
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Spinal
          I too dive with lenses - fresh and saltwater. My optician freaked a little when I told him, he gave me this advice:
          - put a few drops of an antiseptic eye drop in each eye, and don't wear lenses for 30-60 minutes (apparently the amoebas need time to burrow into your cornea, and blinking helps not get them stuck... when you don't have lenses that is)

so far... so good..

M.
          What antiseptic do you use? Doesn't it hurt like fook?

I tend to chuck my lenses after I've been diving. I always carry a few pairs with me on a boat.

I can't think of anything less appealing than getting in a hot tub. It's just a big vat of piss and arse crumb soup.
          Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Comment

• gpj
            Octopus Ink Team
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Spinal

so far... so good..

M.
            My optician said much the same, only use one use lenses, take them as soon as you can if they get wet, flush eyes with optrex or similar. Common sense really, clean dry fingers to put them in and take them out. Also not recommended is where there's potential contamination with "bodily fluids" etc. My optician wears daily disposables when she's surfing.
            Find us on FB - Casnewydd Scuba.

Comment

• Dave1w
              Established TDF Member
              • Jan 2013

Never thought about it, but since moving to contact lenses, I don't flood my mask with my eyes open any more and just throw them away when I go to bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Spinal
                TDF Member
                • May 2016

Originally posted by notdeadyet
                What antiseptic do you use? Doesn't it hurt like fook?
                optrex infection - doesn't burn

Comment

• thetrickster
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Dec 2012

10yrs+ of diving with contacts (daily disposables) including plenty of in pool and in sea mask removal and replacements for students...

Gee, does make you think thou

Comment

Working...