Banner Ad

Anyone using an inflator nozzle for SMB/Liftbags? Which One?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian_6301
    Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
    • Jan 2013

Hence using suit inflate hose. by this point you are neutrally buoyant and on the way up anyway. You don't need to inflate your suit again unless you have a wing failure and even then you have the DSMB as buoyancy...

But in reality, a top hat gizmo makes it pretty simple to get the hose back on again.
    Strategy without Tactics is the slowest route to Victory. Tactics without Strategy is the sound before defeat.

Comment

• Alby R
      Established TDF Member
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by dwhitlow
      I had one of the button variety fall apart underwater (a lot of bubbles) and have seen another do the same (not pretty either).

The bendy ones seem to just work and are what I poke into any lift bags I need to send up.

dave

i'm with you on this one been using the bendy ones for donkeys years no problems,

alby

Comment

• braun
        Cancelled Account
        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Alby R
        [/B]

dave

i'm with you on this one been using the bendy ones for donkeys years no problems,

alby
        Bendy ones?

Comment

• dwhitlow
          Coastal Member
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Ian_6301
          Hence using suit inflate hose. by this point you are neutrally buoyant and on the way up anyway. You don't need to inflate your suit again unless you have a wing failure and even then you have the DSMB as buoyancy...
          That might be fine in a quarry but in the sea, where than can be a lot of swell, it makes sense at the surface to close the suit valve and add buoyancy (also less wasteful of trimix diluent).

Comment

• turnerjd
            Established TDF Member
            • Jan 2014

Which brings us back full circle to my much maligned comment earlier to just send it up using the octopus, or if that is being used, the primary.
            My Club (in French)
            My research group
            My work

Comment

• dwhitlow
              Coastal Member
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by turnerjd
              Which brings us back full circle to my much maligned comment earlier to just send it up using the octopus, or if that is being used, the primary.
              Not everyone has one and there are better solutions.

Comment

• Ian_6301
                Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by dwhitlow
                That might be fine in a quarry but in the sea, where than can be a lot of swell, it makes sense at the surface to close the suit valve and add buoyancy (also less wasteful of trimix diluent).
                You know very well that I am a salt water diver, having met me in the shop previously known as Scimitar last year...

Yes. Agree that getting the suit inflate reconnected is a good idea, but with little else to do on the 6m stop for many minutes, if you've not fixed it before, you can have a go then!
                Strategy without Tactics is the slowest route to Victory. Tactics without Strategy is the sound before defeat.

Comment

• Timw
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Dec 2012

One of the old style AP inflate buttons from an ablj with 6" of garden hose on the outlet so you can stay a bit clear of the rigging when it takes off. The inflate buttons are still available...
                  Mine is nearly 30 years old and still going with just an annual (ish) strip & grease.
                  Tea Boy

Comment

• GaleForceEight
                    TDF Member
                    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by turnerjd
                    I think is much better to practice, practice, and practice some more using your octopus to fill the bag.
                    This was my initial thought to the OP

Originally posted by Spirit of Guernsey
                    What do you do if your buddy is breathing off your octopus?
                    If your buddy is needing an alternate source you are not concerned with lift bags, you are getting to the surface safely!

Comment

• Spirit of Guernsey
                      Established WTF Member
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by GaleForceEight
                      This was my initial thought to the OP

If your buddy is needing an alternate source you are not concerned with lift bags, you are getting to the surface safely!
                      You might need an SMB to get up there safely.
                      There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
                      Hippolyte Taine – French critic and historian (1828-93)

Comment

• BcDiver
                        TDF Member
                        • Jan 2013

Northern diver used to supply brass Schrader blowguns with their suits which are excellent for filling bags/smbs, they changed to plastic ones which weren't bad but not as robust as the brass ones. The brass ones sometimes come up on eBay. I also have one of the bendy rubber ones and they work pretty good as well.

Comment

Working...