Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Going to Bali in July

Dear all!

Looking for some tips. I'm new to diving and will have my CMAS* before my trip. I am googling diving in Bali and it seems very expensive. I have been in Egypt where diving can cost 20usd per excursion (2 dives incl equipment rental). In Sweden you pay around 50USD per excursion. So when all excursions in Bali are around 100USD (I'm assuming that's 2 dives), that seems quite steep. Anyone have a more affordable experience of Bali?

Thanks!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think it depends on the trip. If you're on a fast boat out to Nusa Penida etc. then maybe 100USD for two dives is to be expected but if you're just doing shore diving in Permuteran, Tulamben etc. then it should be around half that, e.g.:

http://reefseenbali.com/diving/prices.php
    (Reef Seen is managed by friends of mine and highly recommended, though I might be biased)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    As above.

Bali has the full range of diving options and budgets and by shopping around you should find one that suits you.

Not particularly for the budget conscious but if you're looking for a great operator, check out www.aquamarinediving.com

SCD

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Have Dived Tulamben. It was cheap , your gear is taken to the waters edge for you and replacement tanks await you on your return. The shore is rocky and the sand on the sea bottom Is black due to volcanic nature of the island. At tulaben you have the choice of 3 specific dives all within 300m. Coral garden, drop off wall and of course the liberty wreck. Accommodation also reasonable at the dive site. Enjoy

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Lucky you. I went there in ’09 as part of a group and stopped in Permuteran (Pondoc Sari). We didn’t select who to dive with until we arrived as there was/is several dive businesses in the area. Our choice was to go with ‘Easy Divers‘ even though Werner Lau dive centre is on the hotel site.
    Main reason for choosing Dusan and Easy Divers was on initial viewing of the beach based dive centres were the powerboats coming to shore. We did look at ‘Reef Seen’ divers but in the blurry eyes of long distance travellers didn’t offer very much and didn’t seem to be that interested. Subsequently we concluded we probably would have had more varied diving with them as it is possible to dive from their area of the beach onto a reef almost at any time whilst with Easy Divers it was restricted to a few odd times. Like Easy Divers to go to Menjangan Island or ‘Muck Bay’ we were transported in a minibus so you saw parts of the Bali off the tourist haunts. For Menjangan Island to a local harbour and a native boat, on boat dives lunch was included.
    The Werner Lau divers went to all remote dive sites by boat from the beach so spent a long day at sea – we would leave Pondoc sari after the Werner Lau boat had loaded and set off for our two dives around Menjangan Island and back and in the pool bar before the Werner Lau people were back.
    When we wandered along to Reef Seen later in the week different people talking to us, different options offered, did come across much better and the Turtle project is interesting.
    Easy Divers prices are in Euros on there website. What we found was that all the centres have consistent pricing for the diving only the services offered vary.

What I would say it’s a big island, hopefully you have the option to see more than just one area, and the north coast is more attractive and a lot less touristy than the south coast. Do take the time to see the land based stuff as well.

Do enjoy the island.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by scubadiver View Post
    Have Dived Tulamben. It was cheap , your gear is taken to the waters edge for you and replacement tanks await you on your return. The shore is rocky and the sand on the sea bottom Is black due to volcanic nature of the island. At tulaben you have the choice of 3 specific dives all within 300m. Coral garden, drop off wall and of course the liberty wreck. Accommodation also reasonable at the dive site. Enjoy
    Same here. The women carrying 2 or 3 sets of full gear on their heads!