Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 80 of 80 FirstFirst ... 3070787980
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MattS
    > That way your lectures are "great" and your coursework (which is easier to create)
    Explain please. How are your courses easier to create? At the moment stand-alone courses are turned out by volunteers who are relatively comfortable using Power Point - Pretty damn easy.
    So, properly film it. Then edit it. Then re-film any sections which need improving.
    ...And re-edit and add a sound track and encode in a common format and find a container for it and a distribution media.
    Rinse and repeat for all the courses in the BSAC library.

Nothing insurmountable but not really easier.

...it's easier to get a good trainer to teach an arbitrary course than it is to get a Subject Matter Expert to explain it properly.
    I don't entirely agree. I have spent too much time on vendor courses, listening to professional trainers teach absolute rot for lack of subject matter experience. On the other hand, the most effective diver training theory lectures I ever listened to were taught by a professional roofer and a professional fireman - Only one of them was teaching BSAC. However, that is just me and I tend to find videos droning on worse than lecturers droning on - I guess it comes from seeing the VCR rolled out at school as an opportunity for 40 winks.

On the whole I agree. The irrelevant dits and hero yarns are best kept for the bar. One way to achieve that is to transfer hour long lectures to video with supporting materials. Personally, I would prefer something less parochial with a little more ambition.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba View Post
    I have seen the new ocean diver course and I can say it is more of the same. There is no e-learning, it's not digital and it's just more power point. It has taken so long to develop it's out of date before it is even launched. In this day and age to launch a new course with no facility for distance learning is stupid.

AAAAARGHHHH...... (sound of head-desk interaction) Please tell me they junked the book though...

The pool/CW sessions take as long as they take - some get it really quickly, others are "more challenging" - but spending months on the theory helps no-one.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattS View Post
    ...And re-edit and add a sound track and encode in a common format and find a container for it and a distribution media.
    Rinse and repeat for all the courses in the BSAC library.

Nothing insurmountable but not really easier.
    Focus your efforts on the 'popular' courses, particularly the OD. The other courses, particularly the advanced ones, you will expect people to read the manuals; there's fewer lectures for these and the people are more committed to the system.

The discussion was about the beginners being bored with "death by powerpoint" lectures, or lecturers not being available.

BSAC Council Candidate 2017 TrevorB's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Electoral Reform Services is administering the BSAC Election of Vice-Chair and three available Council positions as well as AGM Special Resolution Voting 2017 on behalf of the British Sub-Aqua Club.

BSAC Voting for Vice-Chair and to Council closes at 9:30am on Saturday 6 May. Voting on the AGM Special Resolution closes at 9:30 am on Thursday 18 May.

You will not be able to cast your votes after this time.

You may or may not have received this information today..together with your voting link...Its not about voting for me its about using your link to support the volunteers who run our club and there is a wide choice for you to choose from
    Diving Officer BSAC 9137
    Leeds Beckett University Branch

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorB View Post

BSAC Voting for Vice-Chair and to Council closes at 9:30am on Saturday 6 May. Voting on the AGM Special Resolution closes at 9:30 am on Thursday 18 May.
    When are the results for the candidates due to be released? Do those who win go to the AGM?

BSAC Council Candidate 2017 TrevorB's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryC View Post
    When are the results for the candidates due to be released? Do those who win go to the AGM?
    The candidates get to know first and are asked not to pass it on
    The results are announced at the AGM, although they often appear sooner on the BSAC site
    Candidates are asked to keep the AGM date and induction course Usually the day after free
    I did go to the AGM in 2015 when I stood and was unsuccessful, probably not do that again, it was a little lonely
    Diving Officer BSAC 9137
    Leeds Beckett University Branch

Page 80 of 80 FirstFirst ... 3070787980