Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 64 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114 ... LastLast
    BSAC Council Candidate 2017 TrevorB's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon TW View Post
    Several of my sons friends all asked me about learning to dive so I pointed them in the direction of BSAC, these are all late 20s early 30s with reasonable employment and surplus income. They all left their clubs within a year, some left during training and went to PADI and others just gave up.

We live in an age where we don't wait, we want something, we google and buy online, It arrives the next day. BSAC is way too slow, these guys wanted to go diving not listen to anecdotes from some old dude with an entourage of cronies spitting out the same anecdotes week in week out.

There were only two who stuck it out and eventually continued with PADI the rest gave up, if you can't hold the attention of the young diver who expects a level of service then you will just be dealing with older diver who eventually die and the club dies with them.

I just read through my old messages from one of them.

22 June
    "Quick update, I'm ripping through the ocean diver course (done the pool sessions and planning the quarry dives now) so should have the qualification by the time I come to Egypt. Looking like we'll be coming for two weeks, probably the first and second week of September. Really enjoying the diving even in the pool. Can't wait until there is actually something to look at! Just trying to stop myself spending a shedload on kit before I've actually worked out what I need."

"We are planning 4 dives over 2 days. Then I have two open water dives off angelsy using the RIBs on July 28th. If that all goes well there's a couple of shore dives in August."

"I havent bought any kit other than mask at the moment so I'll hold off, the bsac club has enough decent stuff for me to finish my training."

9 July
    "we are busting our arses to pass this bsac ocean diver qualification before we come. Honestly they are the most anal people in the world. Moving at snails pace. The amount of fucking about we are having to do is ridiculous. Still we'll have it in the bag by the time we come to egypt."

18 July
    "Passed my ocean diver course last night."

27 July
    "Just bought a brand new set of atx regs, octo, ds4 and console off that person on Yorkshire divers or 255. Not bad. Also got a buddy commando jacket."

29 July
    " Just had a dive so shit in anglesey I might sell it all again."

"Most dis organised mess I've ever seen"

"First time they've camped apparently. No one told me that. No one had a fucking clue what was going on and pretty much every boring safety drill they'd bored me to death with over the last three months went out the widow as soon as they got flustered. I ended up launching the boat off the beach, as no one had thought to check there was boat launching facilities, the boat broke down on the way back after the dive and no one could work the radio. Pure luck we got a tow in the end. Not a single diver found the wreck despite the leader saying he'd marked it on the gps, i saw sand and that was it.
    Then last night they were changing all the dive plans for today due to weather and it was clear no one had a clue what to do so I just said fuck this, and came home at 11pm last night. Got back to the flat at 1.30am.

"This is rapidly what I'm realising. around the pool and the quarry he is bIlly big bollocks making me go over things I've already done, and telling me tales of previous trips etc etc... When I just want to dive. Then on an actual trip when just a few tiny things go wrong he looses the whole plot and pulls everyone out when would have easily done another dive. Im not some retired pensioner with time and money to burn. If I'm spending 200 and using up days off uto go diving then I wanna spend more than 17mins on a flat sandy bed at 9m. They call paddy divers something rotten but after what I've seen his weekend they should book themselves on some padi courses. They are a bunch of shit bags. The amount of times they've banged on about wave action and how hard it's is to swim and you get seasick etc... I thought I felt a bit of current yesterday, but it was nothing bad at all, I get out and half the club are throwing up on the boats complaining how it's like a washing machine. Well they must have been in a different sea to me. But then when we broke down I got sick too. But back on shore after an hour and a bacon sandwich I was good to go, but they pulled the second dive. Bunch of pussies. oh and they have VHF licences but no one knew how to work that radio in the rib."

30 July

"Got all my sexy new kit now.

Atx 40 stage two and octo
    Ds4 a clamp
    Twin console
    New style commando BCD
    A few different masks
    Snorkel
    Hood
    Gloves
    Knife
    Line cutter
    Dry suit (still leaking)
    Sunnto stinger computer

Still need:
    Fins
    Wetsuit
    Wetsuit boots
    A dive club who can navigate and have some balls."

Personally, I thought that this training was pretty quick for BSAC but it needs to be quicker, BSAC needs to change with the times, the shambles over Stephen Martin should have seen the whole lot resign and if they won't then they need voting out.

It's your club, if you do nothing then it will fade and die.
    Sorry Simon, yes those BSAC branches do exist I am sorry to say

We took on three non divers in late January, every Monday has been a classroom lecture and a pool lesson, last night I booked extra pool time and went through Dry suit training with two of them for three hours and Sunday they are at Capernwray, fingers crossed for 001 and 002, if so another Sunday and they will have completed Ocean Diver. Saltwater time will come on the Branch Holiday Dive this summer, but there will be other Capernwray training trips after OD and before the Holiday under the heading Practice Practice Practice.
    Diving Officer BSAC 9137
    Leeds Beckett University Branch

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorB View Post

Very little Ken Steve's Transport and accommodation in Malta would have all been taken care of for the next 10 years
    Then that trouble maker Scuba appeared, shamed BSAC into covering the costs of the Council Insurance expert, blowing 26,000 so far on Steven
    Then of course HQ stepped up to the mark, and created employment in Ellsemere Port, for all the Solicitors, who were wondering how to pay for their second homes and Childrens school fees.
    + a video crew to show you how good they are at wasting your money. (Sorry our Money I am Paid up) and the video has gone

No, I think Ken was referring to a threat of legal action that Scuba allegedly made to BSAC, the one that resulted in the BSAC forum being taken down. Consulting over that will have cost something. Anytime there is a threat of legal action it is only right to take advice, and that has a cost.

It seems that threat was made purely for personal entertainment, yet it will have cost BSAC a good amount of money, as well as the ability to operate a forum.

Established TDF Member bottle maker's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    It would be interesting to know how much of the 53k was spent directly in response to attacks by Scuba.
    Did Scuba attack them? Or did Skuba demand that the BSAC provide the insurance cover that a member had paid for?' If when Steve first contacted them they had said "sorry to hear about that good job you are fully covered by the insurance" instead of sod of, I doubt we would even be aware of deaths in Malta.

I believe that the BSAC wasted huge amounts of members money trying to avoid admitting that they made a mistake when they changed the insurance with the intention of saving the organisation money. By saving money the cost of annual membership could be kept low.

Graham.
    Last edited by bottle maker; 21-04-2017 at 12:22 PM. Reason: spelling to many if's

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It was a side issue, toys were being thrown on the BSAC forum if I remember, and someone said something silly, which resulted in a threat of legal action. This threat came from Scuba - allegedly.

Established TDF Member Barrygoss's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunicates View Post
    It was a side issue, toys were being thrown on the BSAC forum if I remember, and someone said something silly, which resulted in a threat of legal action. This threat came from Scuba - allegedly.
    Something silly?

FFS

B
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Guys

AGAIN ... please stick to the topic and not witch hunt individuals

thanks
    Mal

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunicates View Post
    If it was my liberty that was being threatened I'd be wanting Scuba and the WSWSM team on my side doing whatever they needed and threatening whoever.

I take it that you'd be happy with the "you're on your own" response from BSAC, fly to Malta and let big bubba make a playground out of your arse for the foreseeable future?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon TW View Post
    If it was my liberty that was being threatened I'd be wanting Scuba and the WSWSM team on my side doing whatever they needed and threatening whoever.

I take it that you'd be happy with the "you're on your own" response from BSAC, fly to Malta and let big bubba make a playground out of your arse for the foreseeable future?
    This unfortunately sums the mess up rather well.

Who is actually working for who`s benefit at BSAC?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    This unfortunately sums the mess up rather well.

Who is actually working for who`s benefit at BSAC?
    Surely, and speaking as an outsider here, it should be the staff working to provide a service for the paying punters and not simply to get paid their salaries.

Established TDF Member bottle maker's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Can people who I have recently PM'ed me please empty their in boxes

Graham.