Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fort Lauderdale/Florida Keys - who to dive with?

We're off to Miami in the Summer and have been recommended to dive the Keys/Fort Lauderdale. My buddy and me qualified our open water last summer so not only are we complete newbies, we're rusty as well as we've not dived since. And to top it all, we've never dived in the sea (qualified in a lake and a sink hole). Can someone recommend a dive company we can go with and/or offer any advice please?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    You sound super enthusiastic but I would be careful. You are essentially an unskilled diver and much of what you learned will be lost. From experience with guest divers with a similar background I would just repeat a discover scuba experience. So a shallow skills session and a shallow dive. If you feel confident again after that then dicuss it with the dive centre and instructor and book a guided dive. There will be different options here, but this just the advice I would give when I worked in a resort.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    GUE Instructor

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thank you, that's good advice. Any thoughts on a dive centre out there? I'm reluctant to just pick one by their web page.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Pompano Dive Centre. They cater from newbies to rebreather divers and very nice people.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Agree that Pompano is a good dive centre - spent a month over there a couple of years ago and tried several centres before settling on Pompano for the rest of the trip. Easy to get to from Ft Lauderdale as well.

The bald Jonathan Turner turnerjd's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I dived with south beach scuba. They are half way between the two.

Great setup, great people, and they ran trips up north and down south.

In your case I would hesitate to dive round Fort Lauderdale as I had very strong currents when I dived there, but it was worth it for the Goliath Grouper aggregation. Further south (keys) there were no currents whatsoever.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Some sites are subject to big currents, the Gulf Stream runs North along the Florida coast, but there are three lines of reefs running parallel to the coast and the inner, shallower reefs are, whilst not the most scenic, likely to be easy sites for a newish diver to get some experience. Certainly down on the Keys I found that the currents are likely to be less evident. I dived out of Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center a couple of times and they seemed a decent operation. I also dived on Looe Reef, about half way down the keys using Looe Key Reef dive resort...not sure how many sites there are nearby but the reef itself would be a nice easy site for new divers, shallowish, sheltered but with lots to see - we saw an eagle ray and a blacktip shark.