X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wrecked_Diver
    TDF Member
    • Feb 2014

Diving In Barbados

I'm off to Barbados in a couple of weeks.

The plan is to fit in a dive or two!

A couple of questions for the floor.....

Can anyone recommend where / who to dive with? Are there any wrecks to dive or is it mainly reefs?

Also, as I understand it, I've got more chance of winning the lottery than finding a DIN cylinder out there. I've been looking at buying a DIN to A clamp converter. They seem to be about £20. Does the DIN fitting simply screw in to the adaptor or is it somewhat more involved?

Any advice would be gratefully received 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Eddie Clamp
    Established TDF Member
    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Wrecked_Diver

Can anyone recommend where / who to dive with? Are there any wrecks to dive or is it mainly reefs?

Also, as I understand it, I've got more chance of winning the lottery than finding a DIN cylinder out there. I've been looking at buying a DIN to A clamp converter. They seem to be about £20. Does the DIN fitting simply screw in to the adaptor or is it somewhat more involved?
    Any advice would be gratefully received ��
    I love Barbados. Trip report here: https://www.bsac.com/diverreports.as...=The+Caribbean
    Eddie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGQ61LapY3Q

Comment

• daviesjez
      TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

Hi we dived last year out there with West Side Scuba (Pete Grunnum?) Had a great time. Picked us up from hotel, had own boat, wreck dives, and even washed our kit down and bought it back to hotel!!. We took our own kit with Din regs and he accommodated ( just spun the lugs out). We would definitely use him again. Any questions feel free to pm

Comment

• Iain Smith
        Established TDF Member
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Wrecked_Diver

Any advice would be gratefully received ��
        We were there in late 2012. We dived with Roger's Scuba Shack and would definitely use them again. Having not really planned to do much diving, we found ourselves being picked up from the opposite end of the island on a daily basis - "Just part of the service!".

Our first dive was a shake-down in Carlise Bay - there are six wrecks and, if your air consumption is good enough, you can see all of them in one dive, though you may not get a lot of time on each of them. The wrecks are: Conrwallis (WWII freighter), a barge, Berwyn (WWI tug), the Bajan Queen (another tug), Eillon (a captured drug-runner) and the Ce-Trek (a concrete-constructed derelict). 46min, 15m

Friar's Craig sits in 16m - very picturesque. We saw octopus, frogfish and a seahorse

The highlight of the "rusty hunks of metal" is the SS Stavronikita - a freighter which burned out, the remains being left at anchor for some years until she was sunk in 1978. Lot of penetration asking to be done, but I hadn't taken any suitable kit with me. With something like 40 year's growth on her, she's a very pretty wreck in 30+m

From memory, all their tanks were A-clamp. Personally, depending on the cost of the conversion and how fast you can get one, I'd consider converting your reg to A-clamp rather than adding an a-clamp adaptor, which I find leaves me banging my head on the reg all the time. YMMV.

Also recommended are visits to the Lobster Shack (just along the beach from Roger's) and Oistin's Fish Fry. If you make it out to the southeast of the island, lunch or dinner at "Cutters" (just next to the Crane resort) is a must!

Enjoy!

Comment

• Stuart Keasley
          bottlefish
          • Dec 2012

I spent a week out there last Feb for the filming of the Grand Tour, we did our diving with Barbados Blue. Absolutely superb, very conscientious, safe and professional, great staff and lots of fun, they're based in Carlisle Bay so right on one of the main dive areas.

It's run by Andre Miller, he's also the main driving force behind a number of marine conservation initiatives out there, so you can expect to see a healthy respect for the marine environment as well.

If you do end up there, say hi to him from me please.

Dive In Barbados Blue, Your PADI 5-Star Dive Centre Scuba Freediving Snorkeling Conservation Our Favourite Tours Get To Know Us More Reviews Follow Our Adventures! Our Affiliates
          Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Comment

• Wrecked_Diver
            TDF Member
            • Feb 2014

Thanks very much for all your replies, very interesting and I'm quite excited now!

I've just had a reply from Peter at Westside Scuba. I will definitely be packing my gear. They can accommodate din regs which is good and they are only down the road from where I am staying.

Will definitely try and do the Stavropol wreck.

Only downside is the dollar rate is so bad at the moment, it's only slightly better than $1 to the pound! Will only be a few dives for me on this holiday at those rates!

Comment

• daviesjez
              TDF Member
              • Dec 2012

Say hi to Peter from us. My girls loved diving with him!.. You won't regret using him. Jez

Comment

• greatwhite
                Established TDF Member
                • May 2013

The fitting is ultra easy to work out! If you can't work it you should not be diving! lol. Seriously you will not struggle.

Comment

Working...