Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Stoney Cove

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stoney Cove

Hi
    Going to stoney at the weekend and have dived the hydro box many time with a 15lt and pony. I am an experienced Dive Leader and have twin 12's now and have been diving with them for a while and want to see more at 35m.

What is there and where is it?

Would appreciate and sights/bearings or plans that any1 wants to share

Cheers

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Nothing else at that depth as far as I'm aware. Personally do the box if you want then come up on the right hand side of the lake as you look at it , to the 20mtr shelf, keep the wall on your right and go round to the plane and if gas and time allow onto the MG's. you can always come back shallower. If you want a better quarry dive at 35/40 I'd go NDAC.

Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The mud is black. There's fuck all to see. Its bloody grim.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_6301 View Post
    Harsh, but fair.

Part time bubble-free.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_6301 View Post
    It's a bit harsh. The mud is beige on top and only dark brown when you dig into it. Other than that though, you're spot on.

To the OP: there is a gnome garden and a mini chassis (apparently) down there too somewhere if that kind of thing does it for you. For my money, I'd go to the box, skip back over the road and dive along the left hand wall at about 27m if you want to go deep. If it's a sunny day, the light shines right down to the wall and makes for an eerie green light on the silt on the cliff, making it look like a Type O Negative album cover. Usually very quiet and the viz can be very good as it is too shallow the the sump bottom draggers and too far away from everything for the 22m shelf traffic. Failing that, the other suggestion of the right hand wall is a nice dive too!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    It's a bit harsh. The mud is beige on top and only dark brown when you dig into it. Other than that though, you're spot on.

To the OP: there is a gnome garden and a mini chassis (apparently) down there too somewhere if that kind of thing does it for you. For my money, I'd go to the box, skip back over the road and dive along the left hand wall at about 27m if you want to go deep. If it's a sunny day, the light shines right down to the wall and makes for an eerie green light on the silt on the cliff, making it look like a Type O Negative album cover. Usually very quiet and the viz can be very good as it is too shallow the the sump bottom draggers and too far away from everything for the 22m shelf traffic. Failing that, the other suggestion of the right hand wall is a nice dive too!
    Favourite deeper dive in the cove is to go in down the roadway to about 30m, do a hairpin left and follow the cliff around (as per JT above), coming up to 18m at about 20 mins in. By this point, if you imagine the 36m pit as a clock face, with the road cutting the 21m cliff edge at about 7 o'clock and the box at 6ish, you will be at about 11 o'clock. Keep following the cliff edge, around to about 1 o'clock and you'll be at the edge of the top basin. Follow this cliff edge around at 18m until it returns to the clock face at approx. 3 o'clock, then gradually come up the cliff, coming up to about 3-6m by the time you cross the rows of bolts that used to hold the pipes to the cliff underneath where the shop is now, to catch the pike and the shoals of fry that they're there to feed on (once the water warms up, not this time of year). Finish on the 6m shelf, wherever you like.

The nice thing about this dive is that you can time the shift from 30-18m and the gradual ascent from 18m to 6m to suit your deco needs and/or gas consumption. It's a fair old trek and should be over an hour in the water, so you may consider cutting across the face of the top basin and just following the top of the 21m cliff edge until you pickup the wall above you at the 3-4 o'clock position.

The principle advantage of this dive is that not many people do it, because it's considered too far to swim, so the vis is usually really good and the scenery of the rock face over the far side is really atmospheric, particularly with the sun streaming down through the water.
    DISCLAIMER: If you don't understand this shit, ask a grown up, preferably someone with deep pockets, who your widow/kids can sue. Don't trust people on the internet with your life, your credit card details or your naked selfies! This advice may contain, or indeed be written by someone who is (clinically), nuts.

Established TDF Member Barrygoss's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Err this is the embarrassing bit where I demonstrate my number of dives there

As you're going down the road, to your right at 30m (top) 35m (bottom) there is obviously the hydro box. To the rear of the hydrobox there is the brick gate/sluice arrangement, to the front a car chassis and assorted "bits" of machinery
    Carry straight on down the road and go straight, you'll discover a 3ft model ship weighted to the bed and floated with two dsmb's so that it sits about 3ft off the bed.
    Keep going straight and you'll discover a (what can only be described as an altar) with loads of gnomes and bits on it, last time I was there, there was a glow in the dark skeleton on it as well.
    Go left off the road and follow the bottom of the 20m shelf for 10 minutes and you'll come across the mini chassis (from scrapheap challenge) and the chassis from something very old and rusted
    Keep going for a good while and you'll get to the area where the spring comes into the cove. The bottom here is interesting and it's bloody cold.

If it's just the extra gas you want to play with, skip round the edge of the 20m shelf and head off into the corner, go see the MG's, the Cessna and the canal boat, then come back along the cliff @20m rising up to the 6m ledge near the bus stop (in a big clockwise loop)

B
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Despite having been a visitor there on and off for over 20 yrs and having been a member of staff for 5 of those, I never did much exhaustive exploration of the pit... Mostly cos its cold, dark and miserable. Also because I get super narked down there and it ain't worth the helium!
    DISCLAIMER: If you don't understand this shit, ask a grown up, preferably someone with deep pockets, who your widow/kids can sue. Don't trust people on the internet with your life, your credit card details or your naked selfies! This advice may contain, or indeed be written by someone who is (clinically), nuts.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Never been off the end of the runway before, might have a look on the next check-dive. Assume it's not far to the wall?

Normally do a lap of the 35m and a trip to the coach on the first dive and then the Stanegarth and the other assorted boats on the the second.

For a flat 20m dive the far-right with the plane/cars etc. is ok too.

I've been right round once, took forever, almost died of boredom!

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrygoss View Post
    Err this is the embarrassing bit where I demonstrate my number of dives there

As you're going down the road, to your right at 30m (top) 35m (bottom) there is obviously the hydro box. To the rear of the hydrobox there is the brick gate/sluice arrangement, to the front a car chassis and assorted "bits" of machinery
    Carry straight on down the road and go straight, you'll discover a 3ft model ship weighted to the bed and floated with two dsmb's so that it sits about 3ft off the bed.
    Keep going straight and you'll discover a (what can only be described as an altar) with loads of gnomes and bits on it, last time I was there, there was a glow in the dark skeleton on it as well.
    Go left off the road and follow the bottom of the 20m shelf for 10 minutes and you'll come across the mini chassis (from scrapheap challenge) and the chassis from something very old and rusted
    Keep going for a good while and you'll get to the area where the spring comes into the cove. The bottom here is interesting and it's bloody cold.

If it's just the extra gas you want to play with, skip round the edge of the 20m shelf and head off into the corner, go see the MG's, the Cessna and the canal boat, then come back along the cliff @20m rising up to the 6m ledge near the bus stop (in a big clockwise loop)

B

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Anyone want to dive tomorrow (17 April)?
    Looking for a buddy