Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seagrass project - anyone doing this?

Hi all,
    Not diving enough as don't have a regular buddy down here in East Devon so thought that getting involved in this might motivate me to get out of the house!

Anyone else getting involved? (planning to join their 4th March session to kick things off)... here's their intro:

Thank you for showing interest in getting involved in the South West's first seagrass based citizen science project- The Community Seagrass Initiative- spear headed by the National Marine Aquarium, Plymouth and funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund. For more info see our website: http://www.csi-seagrass.co.uk/. The project is providing lots of opportunities for divers, kayakers and sailors between Looe and Weymouth, to get involved in marine science while out and about enjoying their hobbies- plus lots of chances to meet likeminded people within the community!
    Diving is based out of Plymouth, Torquay and Weymouth. There are 120 dives in 2017 available to our volunteers and training in marine surveys and species identification- all free of charge!

Cheers,
    Mark

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If you like that, have a look at Seasearch down there too - Devon is a little bit quiet, but Dorset has loads going on!
    hormone addled, protective, psychotic, hate filled killer

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks Divemouse... will do

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We did the course and some dives. My take is that it's a shame that it's free diving!

We found that the dives filled up very quickly because they were free, then people would drop out at the last minute with no regard for the organisers. It was then too late for use to cancel any diving we'd booked and we weren't going to leave weekends unbooked on the off-chance that we hear about spaces, then possibly have to arrange accommodation at the last minute (we live in Guildford now, not Devon).
    Obviously I can't say whether spaces got filled on the trips we did not go on, and I suppose we could have left days free because nearly every trip we saw going out had last minute spaces.

If you get Scuba, we did an article on the course.

As far as the actual diving goes, it's shallow - the stuff needs light to grow but it's nice to dive with a purpose.
    'I saw some purple slug things on the Scylla, so I squished them' - #MiniBodger

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks Turbanator, I did notice that they are quite strict about not cancelling once you've signed up to a session and so I'll be sure not to let them down!
    I don't get Scuba actually - is it on-line or will I need to find a print version?
    Shallow and pottering about is fine by me - any excuse to have an easy environment in which to practice my photography...
    Cheers.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkHP50 View Post
    Thanks Turbanator, I did notice that they are quite strict about not cancelling once you've signed up to a session and so I'll be sure not to let them down!
    I don't get Scuba actually - is it on-line or will I need to find a print version?
    Shallow and pottering about is fine by me - any excuse to have an easy environment in which to practice my photography...
    Cheers.
    Feel free to drop a line if you fancy popping over to Dorset, me and my partner also enjoy shallow and dicking about taking pics etc. We could even introduce you to what Seasearch is all about (actually TBH we'll probably twist your arm up until you've signed up for a course ) joking aside we can introduce you to some nice easy entry shallow and quite weird stuff locally that lots of folks don't dive coz it's only 3m (or less sometimes).
    www.wapsac.co.uk
    Apparently becoming a grandad

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Been diving with the Plymouth team and quite enjoy it. It is, as others have said, a bimble in 3-10m of water but for a shallow day out it's fine.
    Andy
    www.budediveclub.co.uk
    www.gafirs.org.uk
    If it moves - canoe it, if it doesn't dive it!

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks Hot Totty, I have really enjoyed seeing the photos from Chesil Cove but have not been keen on solo diving that (or anywhere really - BSAC training sticks!) so it would be great to join up for a potter in that part of the world, it's not too far from home (near Lyme).
    Once the weather settles a bit, I'll get in touch! Will pm you my e-mail

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks Treerat - good to hear you've enjoyed it, will definitely sign up to do some with them...