Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanted

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Guernsey View Post
    Get an Ali40 and side sling it. About the same price as a 3ltr but loads of advantages.

Enough gas to get to the surface while breathing hard. Neutral in the water so doesn't mess up your weighting and trim. Access to the valve, so you dont lose your gas from a freeflow. Easier kitting up. Easy to remove before climbing a ladder or getting into a RIB. Can be used for deco gas if you progress that way. Fit a LPI and you have a back up suit inflate, with an airgun you then have an alternative way to inflate SMBs & lift bags. Etc etc.
    This is the best advice I have ever heard about pony tanks

Established TDF Member rockystock1's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Does anyone have an ali40 for sale, I'll pick up a new ds4/atx40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Rocking horse poo mate second hand. Keep looking but most I know of have bought new. Funny thing is usually there more expensive than an ally 7.

Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    Please don't fall into the trap of thinking "It's a backup - I'll probably never use it, I'll buy a cheapy one.". What you actually want to be thinking is "Although I hope never to have to need this, if I do, it's really, really important that it works properly, so I'll spend 180 on an ATX40/DS4, 80 on a second hand pony cylinder (or go bigger with a 5 litre or Ali40) and have something that I know I can rely on.

If anything, backups should be better (well, reliability wise) than the primary for just about anything.
    Superb advice here too.

It should be at least as good as your primary setup, which is a 12L cylinder, with an Apeks DS4/ATX40+ combo...

You can get even more benefit by connecting the two together using a manifold and then getting some training in how to fully explore the 30m "with just a smidge of deco" envelope...

Oh. bugger. Just checked the calendar.

I appear to have peaked a day too soon...
    DISCLAIMER: If you don't understand this shit, ask a grown up, preferably someone with deep pockets, who your widow/kids can sue. Don't trust people on the internet with your life, your credit card details or your naked selfies! This advice may contain, or indeed be written by someone who is (clinically), nuts.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Let's cut to the standard end of this type of thread. What you need is a rebreather.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Ps don't fall for the it's a backup and should therefore never be touched until you need it bollocks. If you get a pony or stage (bigger pony carried in different place) make sure you know it's working by breathing off it at some point on the way down, once you hit the bottom and possibly on deco at the end of the day so you know it is working, know you can deploy it without thinking and are keeping the regulator working.

Bailout regs that never ever get used are always going to be less reliable than a reg that gets regularly used.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Great advise so far and no surprise that most agree....

If you keep all your regs the same, it makes spares/field repairs a doddle. Personally I dont think theres any time in a dive where I want to deliberately breath a crappy reg.

Backups have to be relied on when stuffs all gone wrong. That makes checks obvious, for me thats a quick check on the boat, then at least once on the dive (usually when I reach the target depth... before I start racking up the deco).

Tank size is always contentious..... but the Al40 mentioned earlier has a role to play even if you start bigger diving and its small enough not to be totally ridiculous when paired with a single.
    Last edited by ebt; 19-01-2017 at 10:54 AM.

Established TDF Member rockystock1's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Guernsey View Post
    Get an Ali40 and side sling it. About the same price as a 3ltr but loads of advantages.

Enough gas to get to the surface while breathing hard. Neutral in the water so doesn't mess up your weighting and trim. Access to the valve, so you dont lose your gas from a freeflow. Easier kitting up. Easy to remove before climbing a ladder or getting into a RIB. Can be used for deco gas if you progress that way. Fit a LPI and you have a back up suit inflate, with an airgun you then have an alternative way to inflate SMBs & lift bags. Etc etc.
    Sds Sheffield are getting back to me with there Best price on an ally40 ds4 and atx40 reg..

Cheers for advise, always appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nav jāuztraucas par manu zirgu Baron015's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wanted

Get Ali 40 and side sling it. A BTS SO40 cylinder is around 180, an Scubapro MK2/R195 can be had 150 new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Memento mori.

Where'd The Bubbles Go ....? Capt Morgan's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Ali 40's are lovely in the water and not bulky out of it.
    I use them as bailout on dives up to 40m or so.
    I'd say you stand more chance of not buying twice if you
    get one in the first place. If you move to a set of twins
    you can use it for deco gas.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast