Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanted

Established TDF Member rockystock1's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wanted

Hi looking for a 3ltr pony set up, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wanted

Excellent

Established TDF Member Doomanic's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Is it Friday?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Seriously, forget about sidemount - it's bollocks.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have my reasons

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The cheapest in my lds 300

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Depends if you want new and what the reg is.

Cylinder 100, DS4/ATX40 180 and a set of Buddy bands 40, not bothered about a button gauge
    can check it's full at the start, slightly over the 300.

Loads of pony rigs about, but often they have cheapo regs on, if yours has all the above that's good,
    but if not i'd make up your own set.

It's also worth looking at s/hand DS4/ATX 40 combos, can sell a reg and
    gauge and that can bring the cost way down
    Last edited by Tel; 18-01-2017 at 10:53 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tel View Post
    Depends if you want new and what the reg is.

Cylinder 100, DS4/ATX40 180 and a set of Buddy bands 40, not bothered about a button gauge
    can check it's full at the start, slightly over the 300.

Loads of pony rigs about, but often they have cheapo regs on, if yours has all the above that's good,
    but if not i'd make up your own set.

It's also worth looking at s/hand DS4/ATX 40 combos, can sell a reg and
    gauge and that can bring the cost way down
    Hi tel,

Your right there's lots of beaver cylinder and mares rover ponys out there for 230ish

But what's the importance in having the bees knees in ponys? It's not like they get used all the time. Do cheaper regs ever not work, or is it just get cold water regs??

Also as I use atx40s as my normal regs, would it be better to get something completely different to lessen confusion.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockystock1 View Post
    Hi tel,

Your right there's lots of beaver cylinder and mares rover ponys out there for 230ish

But what's the importance in having the bees knees in ponys? It's not like they get used all the time. Do cheaper regs ever not work, or is it just get cold water regs??

Also as I use atx40s as my normal regs, would it be better to get something completely different to lessen confusion.

If the shit hits I want it to absolutely work, so picking the same brand as your main is IMO the best option,
    but here's three other reasons

First you may find that a pony is all you'll ever need ever, but if you did maybe a few years down the line
    find that you've exhausted the dives you are doing now and might want to go a tad deeper or stay at the
    same depth, but stay longer then that pony reg turns into the other reg for a twinset.

Same applies if you stayed on a single and ran a stage. All you'd be changing is the cylinder.

Then you've got spares for your main if stuck or even add an octo and guage and have another complete rig.

Don't like using the term as its often misused, but in this case it's accurate = future proof.
    if buying any regs I'd always get the same as the primary system as I don't know what I'll be using it for
    in the future.

As for getting confused with the same reg(s), easy way is to swap out the mouthpiece for a coloured one
    or a longer clear comfy bite. I also use coloured cable-ties to fix the mouthpiece on. It looks different
    and it feels very different in your mouth. It also has a scubapro hose not Apeks.
    Last edited by Tel; 19-01-2017 at 01:57 AM.

Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Get an Ali40 and side sling it. About the same price as a 3ltr but loads of advantages.

Enough gas to get to the surface while breathing hard. Neutral in the water so doesn't mess up your weighting and trim. Access to the valve, so you dont lose your gas from a freeflow. Easier kitting up. Easy to remove before climbing a ladder or getting into a RIB. Can be used for deco gas if you progress that way. Fit a LPI and you have a back up suit inflate, with an airgun you then have an alternative way to inflate SMBs & lift bags. Etc etc.
    Last edited by Spirit of Guernsey; 19-01-2017 at 08:41 AM.
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine French critic and historian (1828-93)

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockystock1 View Post

Please don't fall into the trap of thinking "It's a backup - I'll probably never use it, I'll buy a cheapy one.". What you actually want to be thinking is "Although I hope never to have to need this, if I do, it's really, really important that it works properly, so I'll spend 180 on an ATX40/DS4, 80 on a second hand pony cylinder (or go bigger with a 5 litre or Ali40) and have something that I know I can rely on.

If anything, backups should be better (well, reliability wise) than the primary for just about anything.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast