X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liquidity
    Same Planet - Different World
    • Jul 2015

Prep days. Worth it?

So I'm doing my IFC in March and hoping to complete the OWI, TIE and PIE by the end of the year.

I've planned it out hopefully can get the IFC, TIE and OWI done before the summer, have the summer to practice my teaching skills and then have a go at the PIE in October.

I'm just wondering whether anyone has done either the TIE or PIE Prep days recently.

Are they worth it, do they help or just a waste of time and money?
  • Tel
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Liquidity
    So I'm doing my IFC in March and hoping to complete the OWI, TIE and PIE by the end of the year.

I've planned it out hopefully can get the IFC, TIE and OWI done before the summer, have the summer to practice my teaching skills and then have a go at the PIE in October.

I'm just wondering whether anyone has done either the TIE or PIE Prep days recently.

If you've got a busy club with a lot of training going on by Instructor Trainers or NI's that you can play an active
    role with and have direct mentoring then it's debatable.

If though it's a club with very few new students and just the odd OWI*, then most definatly yes
    (*An OWI even a good OWI is not an Instructor Trainer.)

My advice for now though is to concentrate fully on just making sure all basic dive skills are good for the
    IFC. You'll get way more out of the practical pool elements if skills are second nature and you can then
    concentate more on the teaching ellement.
    Last edited by Tel; 04-01-2017, 12:11 AM.

Comment

• dwhitlow
      Coastal Member
      • Dec 2012

You could of course save time and do them all together

Combined Instructor Events

Comment

• timmyg
        Gobbie squaddie, average diver
        • Dec 2012

The IFC & OWIC will give you the building blocks for your PIE/TIE. It's then a case of planning a number of lessons ready for your exam & get in the pool practicing teaching. An AI should be able to mentor you; that's one of their jobs.

Regarding the combined events, I regularly staff these. They're great if your diving is nailed, you're confident, and you've already had guidance from an instructor as you straight into the exams while the information is fresh. However, the downside is that it doesn't give you time to go away and prep your lessons or work on any areas that you need to.

TG
        My pages:
        l Website l Blog l YouTube l Vimeo l Facebook l Twitter l Instagram l

Comment

• Ian@1904
          Team Starburst
          • Dec 2012

Many moons ago I did a prep day with Tel. (I still have nightmares about the "students" that he brought along for me, but that is another story). As Tel says nail your dive skills, learn to break skills down into small parts, watch instructors(good and ahem bad) like a hawk to see what works and what could work better. Learn your SEEDS, REAP and be concise in using them. Dive briefings do not need to take ten minutes.
          Learn how to use a compass correctly.
          Post IFC and OWIC obtain as much teaching practice as you can, other branches in the region might be able to assist.

Comment

• PhilPage
            Established TDF Member
            • May 2014

I did PIE prep with Woz & the Yorkshire regional team. I found it exceedingly useful.

Comment

• Edward3c
              Established TDF Member
              • Feb 2013

Your welcome to come along to the S Scotland training days and shadow an instructor or do part of a lesson.

Comment

• Aqua Maria
                TDF Member
                • Jan 2013

The pass rate is generally high amongst those who have done PIE preps.

Comment

• Energy58
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Jun 2014

Originally posted by timmyg
                  Regarding the combined events, I regularly staff these. They're great if your diving is nailed, you're confident, and you've already had guidance from an instructor as you straight into the exams while the information is fresh. However, the downside is that it doesn't give you time to go away and prep your lessons or work on any areas that you need to.

TG
                  100% agree with this - but be warned they are absolutely knackering as the workload is very high: do the course, eat, do your homework, go to bed, repeated each day over the week. Getting through all the lesson plans for the PIE is a big challenge so make sure you stay somewhere nearby where you can work in the evenings.

Comment

• Tel
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Dec 2012

The key thing about the combined event is unlike the usual route of IFC which has an entry level of Sport Diver,
                    as the week will also include OWIC, PIE & TIE, instead the entry requirement is Dive Leader.

So although the skills "should" be way higher in the first place, once the IFC is done there is almost no time to
                    hone any identified weak areas prior to the OWIC and exams.

Its for this reason that if thinking of this route i'd make both pool and open water skills very A1 and wherever the
                    location even possibly go a day or two early to get warmed up and familarise with the venue/school/location etc.

Comment

• dwhitlow
                      Coastal Member
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Tel
                      The key thing about the combined event is unlike the usual route of IFC which has an entry level of Sport Diver,
                      as the week will also include OWIC, PIE & TIE, instead the entry requirement is Dive Leader.
                      I did a combined event and it was a very full week. At the end, my conclusion was doing the IFC and spending some time practising in the pool would have made it a little easier.

If you want get OWI done quickly then they are an effective way to get the ticket and the easiest time to do the theory paper is after the DL theory exam.

When you return, do ensure people do need to give you time to assimilate and practice what has been learnt. They might not, and may assume being an OWI has given you magical powers you lacked a week earlier!
                      Originally posted by Tel
                      So although the skills "should" be way higher in the first place, once the IFC is done there is almost no time to hone any identified weak areas prior to the OWIC and exams.

Its for this reason that if thinking of this route i'd make both pool and open water skills very A1 and wherever the
                      location even possibly go a day or two early to get warmed up and familarise with the venue/school/location etc.
                      Sure thing Tel, just like I did on my first trip to Lanzarote. that was 10 years ago! How time flies! Do you and Peter still host those events?

Comment

• Aqua Maria
                        TDF Member
                        • Jan 2013

Once you've done the IFC (& OWIC), if you're not in a branch with lots of trainees, contact the local uni clubs and offer to help. That way, you will get plenty of practice.

Comment

• Liquidity
                          Same Planet - Different World
                          • Jul 2015

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I'm not really interested in doing an intensive course. A - I haven't got a week to spare doing it as I have a very busy year and have planned out all my annual leave for the year already, and B - I want a bit of time and get some practice in before the PIE.

Practice wise, our club has plans for lots of recruitment this year, so should have plenty of victims to inflict myself on. I have also done quite a few try dives now DL's can do those under supervision, which has kinda fuelled my desire to do the instructor training.

Alot of the comments are focused on PIE prep, and to be honest I think that is likely to be the more beneficial.

TIE as I understand it, is not quite so intense and is easier for those without any problems with public speaking etc. I don't as it's always been a part of my job, so that's not a problem for me.

Is this about everyone's take on this or have I been led up a garden path?

Comment

• Aqua Maria
                            TDF Member
                            • Jan 2013

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I'm not really interested in doing an intensive course. A - I haven't got a week to spare doing it as I have a very busy year and have planned out all my annual leave for the year already, and B - I want a bit of time and get some practice in before the PIE.

Practice wise, our club has plans for lots of recruitment this year, so should have plenty of victims to inflict myself on. I have also done quite a few try dives now DL's can do those under supervision, which has kinda fuelled my desire to do the instructor training.

Alot of the comments are focused on PIE prep, and to be honest I think that is likely to be the more beneficial.

TIE as I understand it, is not quite so intense and is easier for those without any problems with public speaking etc. I don't as it's always been a part of my job, so that's not a problem for me.

Is this about everyone's take on this or have I been led up a garden path?
                            That sounds about right. Re the TIE, make sure that your lesson meets the essential criteria (Progressive, Accurate, Visual & Effective). Maybe do a dry run with someone who has a copy of the criteria in front of them.

Comment

Working...