Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Instructor for Disabled Diver in the NW

My brother (mid 60's) had a serious motorbike accident in his teens and has suffered badly with both his legs ever since. He can walk, but only short distances. He would struggle to walk with a dive cylinder on his back - I imagine even the few steps on a boat would be difficult without assistance.

He is facinated with the underwater world and snorkles whenever he can, but would love to dive - but he has doubts he could ever achieve this.

Is there an instructor in the NW that would be able to get him started, or any organisation, or group that he could get in touch with that has others with disabilities so he could talk over his concerns and his aspirations. I am sure he would do well if only he could make contact with the right people. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    When I was in East Cheshire Sub Aqua Club in Macclesfield, there were several instructors who were experienced in teaching the disabled. We taught a guy with only one leg amongst others. (Er, not other legs. Other divers ) Don't underestimate the commitment and bloody hard work that's involved on both sides. But it can be extremely rewarding.

East Cheshire is a large club, own 2 storey clubhouse, ribs, minibus, compressor etc, so has the resources and enthusiasm.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher View Post
    My brother (mid 60's) had a serious motorbike accident in his teens and has suffered badly with both his legs ever since. He can walk, but only short distances. He would struggle to walk with a dive cylinder on his back - I imagine even the few steps on a boat would be difficult without assistance.

He is facinated with the underwater world and snorkles whenever he can, but would love to dive - but he has doubts he could ever achieve this.

Is there an instructor in the NW that would be able to get him started, or any organisation, or group that he could get in touch with that has others with disabilities so he could talk over his concerns and his aspirations. I am sure he would do well if only he could make contact with the right people. Can anyone help?

Thanks
    I'm an inactive instructor and don't have any experience of working with in-water disabilities I'm afraid.

I do however, live near Kirkham and have a decent spec scooter he's welcome to borrow for Capernwray etc. if his training progresses far enough to make it safe to use.

Steve

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi
    I'm a BSAC Diving for All Instructor Trainer, and have taught on a couple of expeds with Help 4 Heroes. Happy to help.

Maria

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'd suggest DiveAbility but I don't think they've got a pool at that end of the country. Might be worth contacting them to check:
    http://www.diveability.org/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Bolton area divers have instructors for the physically challenged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I recommend aqua maria above

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thank you for all your replies. I will be passing all the info to my brother and see where that takes us.

Tens - thanks for your comments about commitment, as I am sure he should be under no illusions about the training. I am sure that when qualified and around a supportive group, that is where he could start to truly appreciate what he can experience.

Steve, thanks for the offer of the scooter. I feel the difficulties he will experience will all be above water, once he is in the water he will be as capable as many divers (maybe will not have the strength and fitness of some of the fitter divers), but certainly not restrictive for most recreational diving.

Many thanks to you all.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Bob and Heather greenwell of north yorks pleasure divers are both trained in teach the disabled with Padi and do run try dives for them as well

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Three members of North Wales Sub Aqua Club recently attended a UK Disability Inclusion Training Course being held locally. They all said it was most beneficial and our club now offers training to those with disabilities.