Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bi Focal Lenses to read guages

Im starting to get a bit long in the tooth and as a result my 'optics' are not what they were when I was in my 20's!! SO Im looking at some 'extra' help to read my gauges as i have to concentrate to read them!!!
    The company Im looking at can be found here

http://www.bluewatersports.com/shop/...ks-lenses.html

the option that is available to me is the 'BWS Pro Series Masks', an IST mask, as they have the bi-focal lenses - i dont need a prescription atm.

Has anyone used Bluewater Sports for any of these masks?
    Are there any other companies that can do these lenses?
    Are the IST mask any good?
    Any opinions?

Cheers

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have used a prescription mask for a good while different lens in the left eye for gauges worked pretty well, until I was at a dive site and a guy I was diving with put his cylinder down on his own expensive prescription mask, end of dive. So I went to disposable contact lens, different prescription in each eyes, no worries about what mask to wear or if I put my spare on.

I now using vari focal contacts, I can read gauges, drive the boat and GPS, a good alround solution.

If you visit the optician and ask about contacts they will give you a months supply to try for free after your eye test.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    What Leehebs said - minus the smashing the expensive mask bit. I just went with a varifocal contact in left eye, and standard contact in right. Cos I'm a skinflint.
    The Varifocal ones are twice the price, they only do clever things with lens in the non-dominant eye and the one in the dominant eye will be the exactly the same as your usual prescription anyway, it just costs more and comes out of different packaging.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I use this. http://www.dirdirect.com/Gauge-Reader-Mask.html

Which I think is the same as your looking at but I'm too lazy to check. I'm very pleased with mine,

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanny View Post
    I use this. http://www.dirdirect.com/Gauge-Reader-Mask.html

Which I think is the same as your looking at but I'm too lazy to check. I'm very pleased with mine,
    Use the same. At first took awhile to get into the habit of looking out of the bottom of the mask to read controller but think nothing of it now. Saved me an expensive controller upgrade to ccr unit.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There is another more detailed thread on the corrective lens topic on the forum in which I posted the following on the IST mask , which may help: I bought an IST Gauge Reader mask a while back with 1.75 bottom panes in it. Just got round to doing a review with some pix which may be of interest. Hopefully it's OK posting a link to my blog page where the review is as these some photo carousels on it showing the amount of magnification, but if not then Mods please remove and let me know and I'll try to do something else. http://www.totallysortedsports.co.uk...a-mask-review/

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk