Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oman

Purine hurts my feet Major Clanger's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oman

Anyone dived there/recommendations?
    GaryL

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I live there! You can get an idea of the conditions from searching RAHSAC on facebook

Several commercial outfits around Muscat that can take you to the main dive sites and are all much of a muchness - Damaniyat Islands (nature reserve about 20km offshore which gives different diving), Bandar Khiran, Fahal Island. Mostly hard coral. There is a wreck - the Munasssir which was deliberately sunk about 12 years ago which is nice (90m LOA). Most stuff is in the 20-30m range. Water temperatures range from 30+ down to mid 20s with a highly variable thermocline. We get lots of fish, rays and whalesharks (in summer) viz is variable, not as good as the Red Sea generally but on its day superb - however I have given up trying to predict it!

New dive centre at Sifah - about an hours drive from Muscat - seems to be very busy with tourists staying at the hotel on packages (not tried it) and a liveaboard has been sighted too!

Very posh dive centre at the Shangri-La

Oman Dive Centre is currently closed and will reopen sometime under a new owner/manager - sailed past the other day and didn't see much evidence of refurbishment works!

In Mussandam diving is different - mainly rocky walls etc. and a few outfits dive from there - some UAE-based Dhows out if Dibba too. Currents can be a challenge.

In Salalah you can only really dive in the winter due to seasonal storms and there are only a very few outfits working there and getting a boat can be a challenge - the Marriott hotel at Mirbat has a dive centre that operates some of the time!

HTH

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Energy58 pretty much covered it. If it's info on Musandam you're after, l can provide plenty as I used to dive it on a weekly basis for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice; in practice, there is...

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Extra Divers recommended. They have 3 sites in Oman. Al Sawadi Beach resort will get you close to Damanyat. Shangri will get you Bandar Khiran and Fahal. Weather deteriorating now so Fahal less viable from there because of wind and sea getting up in the afternoon. Euro Divers(similar name) best for Fahal but variable service. No cheap diving in Oman I'm afraid.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by toby43 View Post
    Al Sawadi Beach resort will get you close to Damanyat.
    I think Al Sawadi closed down for good earlier this year

Millennium in Mussanah might be the closest option for the Daymaniyat islands.
    Last edited by dimitri; 07-11-2016 at 06:43 PM.

Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My memory of Oman was good dives but wishing for a thicker wet suit than what the dive shop supplied. Resorted to putting wet suit jacket over the one piece.
    Check temps and plan accordingly.
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    I think Al Sawadi closed down for good earlier this year

Millennium in Mussanah might be the closest option for the Daymaniyat islands.
    Al Sawadi is closed (not before time) and there is a good dive centre at the Millennium but it is a long old sail to the Damaniyats from there - though you might get to do the less dived more northerly islands and Clives Rock which are both rather nice. If you just want to do teh Damaniyats then Global Scuba go every day from the Civil Aviation Club next to the Airport which only takes about 30 minutes to sail out and they are OK provided you are pretty self-contained as a diver - usual commercial problems of insta buddy who you only ever see once on the dive etc! There are a couple of outfits working out of the Wave/Al Mouj too - Omanta and OmanSail - but I have no direct experience of either and they seem to dive a range of sites including the Damaniyats. Eurodivers at the Marina seem to be reasonably reliable if you want to do Bandar Khiran and the Wreck

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    My memory of Oman was good dives but wishing for a thicker wet suit than what the dive shop supplied. Resorted to putting wet suit jacket over the one piece.
    Check temps and plan accordingly.
    Just switched to a 2mm full suit (from a shorty) and will go to a 3mm later in the year - biggest problem for me is surface interval in winter, the water temperature doesn't get that cold

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi MC

I have been privileged to be diving the Oman coast since 2008. It' truly is a beautiful country
    The people are friendly and above all it's safe.

The two main areas of diving although totally different are the Daymaniyats and the Mussandam both can be dived year long albeit both suffer from plankton bloom (this brings in the Whale sharks)

Daymaniyats:
    An hour drive north of Muscat or three hours from Dubai
    Marine nature protected area consisting of eighteen small islands. Beautiful multi colours corols, shoals and shoals of fish, Rays, Turtles, Leopard sharks. Max depth 30m ish
    Dive with SailOman staying at the Millennium resort hotel at Mussanah the hotel is on the harbour 50m from the dive centre.The compressor is only a couple of years old well maintained, filters changed regular with a filter log. Day boat two dives a day, first dive site an hour out from the harbour.
    Doc's Wall, Mouse Trap, Aquarium a must

https://www.millenniumhotels.com/en/...sort-mussanah/

http://seaoman.com/activities/dive/

Mussandam/Dibba:
    An hour and half from Dubai, four hours from Muscat.(boarder crossing)
    For the most uninhabited rocky mountainous area stunning views. The topography under water replicates the suffice with the mountains reaching☺ down to the ocean floor (could just come straight off the front cover of National Geographic), with the Indian Ocean sweeping in and out of the Arabian gulf. Can lend it's self to some challenging diving, depth 6m to no bottom. (German U-boat 110m) big pelagic fish
    Best way to dive thiis;
    3/4 day Dhow out Dibba with Sheesha, cabins basic but clean, food good, compressor on board, oxygen decanter for nitrox. Dhow will take you up towards the Strates of Hormuz (for me this the best diving) 4 dives a day Neil a South African manages the centre a good guy.

Nomads dive centre Dibba with affordable accommodation, again basic clean accommodation (it used to be an old school with classrooms converted to bedrooms). A day boat is run from Dibba harbour up the coast . Nomads pricing system works on how far the boat travels from base on a 3 zone system, the top of the Mussandam being zone 3. Owned by Chris a french national good guy mum Silva sometimes helps out in the kitchen food excellent if Silva is in attendance

http://www.sheesabeach.com/dhow-cruises/

http://discovernomad.com/

Hope above helps and makes some form of semblance. I have run a couple of trips out to Oman for my British club East Cheshire, if you need any help PM me

MrP

There are obviously other dive operations
    Al Sawadi has been shut for over a year with extra and euro divers leaving well before
    Dived the Red Sea many times from both the Egyptian and Saudi coasts IMHO the Oman coast is much better

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A member of the BSAC Club here went on a liveaboard out of Salalah last year. It was his first dive trip but he raves about it still. Great boat and good diving apparently.

This might be the outfit: http://www.diveworldwide.com/group-t...aniyat-islands

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast