Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: email Hacked!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    With regards to your original question regarding 1Password or Keepass. The apps themselves are very good and do a good job. Ultimately they're a secure encrypted database with a built in password generator for when you need it. They're not very complex. They do what they do and they do it well. However I really don't think it's going to help your current situation.

What I would do is create a new email address. Gmail is a solid option. On your sky address setup a forward for all mail received (if possible, except spam) this will be doable in the settings. Then reply to emails as and when with your new gmail address and include in the signature that this is your new address. You could do a large email to everyone with your new email address, but it isn't worth the stress of trying to remember everyone imo. Just begin replying with the new email address and people will soon switch over. It isn't that much of a ballache in the long run

Cancelled Account
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I believe that is what it has come to Phate. Bummer but if needs must and all that. I was thinking of 1Password etc to simply generate stronger PW's and store them as I will never remember them all thus tightening my security a bit more.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Instructions for you sir, straight from Yahoo!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by braun View Post
    I believe that is what it has come to Phate. Bummer but if needs must and all that. I was thinking of 1Password etc to simply generate stronger PW's and store them as I will never remember them all thus tightening my security a bit more.
    This is always a good way to think of things anyway

IT security is a large part of "what I do" and half the battle is users being "aware" of security when it comes to IT. Strongers passwords is ALWAYS a good idea, along with not using the same password across the board. Then apps like 1Password and Keepass come in to play as like you say, its difficult to remember them all.

But yeah a stronger password won't fix your issue this time I'm afraid.

Cancelled Account
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    You're a star Sir. Thanks indeed.
    Now to research a good email account.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    That all sounds like good advice. However........................................... ........ "headers from the email". "Google app". "Set a forwarder" etc. You have to understand you are conversing with an IT nobend here lol. Have you seen any of my shouts for IT help? I haven't a clue what you are talking about but you made I laff.
    OK, so don't worry about the headers, maybe too geeky...

Google Apps / Gmail: https://www.google.com/gmail/
    Set a forwarder: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/ch...sky-yahoo-mail
    Setting an email signature in Gmail: https://support.google.com/mail/answ...DDesktop&hl=en

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You're a star Sir. Thanks indeed.
    Now to research a good email account.
    Gmail is my recommendation. Purely because if you get your contacts into google and use google chrome as well...the whole lot works so fantastically together across all your devices. Its marvelous.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    Gmail is my recommendation. Purely because if you get your contacts into google and use google chrome as well...the whole lot works so fantastically together across all your devices. Its marvelous.
    I'd concur. Important thing in my opinion is to choose an email provider that's independent to whomever supplies your internet connection so if you choose to move internet provider it doesn't affect your email.

Cancelled Account
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    At the moment I use Firefox and Outlook on my PC and Safari and Mail on iPad/iPhone.
    I think I actually have a Google account but have never used it for email. Is Google Gmail?

EDIT: I do indeed have a Google and Gmail account. Who would have thunked it!
    Last edited by braun; 03-11-2016 at 08:06 AM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Ill ignore the email provider as that has been discussed all ready.

As far as password managers go Iím a fan of them. With more large sites being breached and there username and password lists ending up online the risk of an account you own being targeted by someone just trying old usernames and password are quite high (https://haveibeenpwned.com/ is a good place to check to see if your email address shows up in any of the lists).

The simplest way around this is to have different password for each site, but managing this in your head and having a secure password is just not manageable.

Personally I use Keepass for my password, and then stick it into my Dropbox to sync it to my phone/laptop/desktop and also to keep a backup of it. I use this as itís the first one I got on with, and also I keep not just web password but other device and network passwords in and it worked better for that than the web based alternatives.

The two big web password managers are Lastpass and 1password and are both pretty much the same, the difference being that Lastpass is free with an option to pay for more premium features. 1password is a monthly subscription.

If you are not sure about using one then I would say try Lastpass, if you donít get on with it you can migrate your passwords into 1password anyway and see how you get on with that. If you donít mind working out your own solution to having your password on all your devices then Iíd recommend keepass.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast