Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: email Hacked!!

Cancelled Account
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

email Hacked!!

Looking for advice and recommendations please.
    My Yahoo (via Sky) email account appears to have been hacked (again). I received a call from one of my contacts this morning letting me know she had received an email from me that contained only a link and nothing else. I did not send it.
    I am aware Yahoo has a problem and have changed my password etc several times now but I'm running out of ideas for passwords.
    So my question is regarding 1Password and Lastpass etc. Any good? Recommended? Thoughts on these and others will be appreciated.
    Thank you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yes. My advice is to ditch Yahoo as your email provider.

It is a f'kin atrocious service.

With Yahoo you can keep changing your password but until they sort their own security out, the hackers will just get it again and again.

Seriously, ditch Yahoo.

Cancelled Account
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    Yes. My advice is to ditch Yahoo as your email provider.

It is a f'kin atrocious service.

With Yahoo you can keep changing your password but until they sort their own security out, the hackers will just get it again and again.

Seriously, ditch Yahoo.
    Seriously considered that option but it is provided by Sky as the email client. My mail, phone and BB etc are all with sky.
    I need to keep the @sky address at it will be a total PITA to change and inform so many contacts/companies etc.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by braun View Post
    Seriously considered that option but it is provided by Sky as the email client. My mail, phone and BB etc are all with sky.
    I need to keep the @sky address at it will be a total PITA to change and inform so many contacts/companies etc.
    Advice to ditch yahoo is good.

A number of email providers now have a mail collect service so that you can change your primary email and have that service still deliver any emails sent to your 'old' sky address as well so that you don't miss / lose anything

I have one account now that also collects my old ymail, gmail and yahoo accounts

Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by braun View Post
    Yahoo is horrendous, just lose them.

You absolutely do not need to use the email account that cam with your broadband/tv package.

Hear what you're saying about the faff of changing, but actually there won't be that many people that you actually care about that you need to inform. Bank, utility companies, car insurance, family, that's about it. Most of what hits your inbox will be spam anyway.

As far as alternate providers go, gmail is pretty much the least bad of the bunch at the minute as far as freebies go.
    DISCLAIMER: If you don't understand this shit, ask a grown up, preferably someone with deep pockets, who your widow/kids can sue. Don't trust people on the internet with your life, your credit card details or your naked selfies! This advice may contain, or indeed be written by someone who is (clinically), nuts.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    SWMBO's boss picked Yahoo for their whole company email because "It's cheaper than Microsoft"

Well yes...but you spend more on your IT resources keep the sodding thing working.

So much facepalm.

Cancelled Account
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_6301 View Post
    Yahoo is horrendous, just lose them.

Hear what you're saying about the faff of changing, but actually there won't be that many people that you actually care about that you need to inform. Bank, utility companies, car insurance, family, that's about it.

As far as alternate providers go, gmail is pretty much the least bad of the bunch at the minute as far as freebies go.
    I hear what you're saying but actually there are a hell of a lot more than you suggest. A hell of a lot more. I may just have to bite the bullet and do it because I'm thoroughly fed up with my present email account sending crap to my contacts!
    Will have to look around and see what is about in terms of email providers.
    Still interested in views on 1Password/Lastpass etc.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    See if your contact can forward you the headers from the email so you can see where it came from. It could well be a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_job in which case it's not you being 'hacked' it's someone using your email address as the From: address when they're sending spam emails. If your account has been properly hacked before and some spammer has your email address along with your contacts list then there really isn't anything you can do to stop them from keep using them.

Along with the others my suggestion would be to switch providers, personally I use Google App. Set a forwarder from your Sky account to the new account so you don't miss anything then add a signature line to your new email account along the lines of "This is my new email address, please update your records to remove spammyaddress@sky.com"

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have had the same problem with Virgin and since the e-mail service was taken over by TaltTalk I have had to click "forgotten my password" and go through the rigmarole of changing my password five times. I will be looking for a new provider this weekend. Any recommendations?
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Cancelled Account
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Piemaster View Post
    See if your contact can forward you the headers from the email so you can see where it came from. It could well be a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_job in which case it's not you being 'hacked' it's someone using your email address as the From: address when they're sending spam emails. If your account has been properly hacked before and some spammer has your email address along with your contacts list then there really isn't anything you can do to stop them from keep using them.

Along with the others my suggestion would be to switch providers, personally I use Google App. Set a forwarder from your Sky account to the new account so you don't miss anything then add a signature line to your new email account along the lines of "This is my new email address, please update your records to remove spammyaddress@sky.com"
    That all sounds like good advice. However........................................... ........ "headers from the email". "Google app". "Set a forwarder" etc. You have to understand you are conversing with an IT nobend here lol. Have you seen any of my shouts for IT help? I haven't a clue what you are talking about but you made I laff.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast