Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by germie View Post
    I have used the industrial helium and oxygen several times. No problems.
    The biggest difference is not the purity, but that the 50L cylinders where you get it in are not cleaned for they fill them again. So that means that someone could have drained it totally or made impurities in it. With dive oxygen the cylinders are cleaned before you get them. This is what is told to me.
    Our work tanks have to be returned with a certain minimum pressure in. Under that we get a fine for cleaning I guess some muppet could have decanted or boosted something else into it if they were trying but i really cant see that.

Im using balloon grade HE and bog standard industrial welding grade O2 and i appear to still be functioning.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Out of curiosity - in case of an accident where insurance companies are involved, does using industrial gas cause any issues?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinal View Post
    Out of curiosity - in case of an accident where insurance companies are involved, does using industrial gas cause any issues?
    Having been involved in an inquest and police investigation, there was not much interest in the Gas breathed other then a brief question as to where it came from. Nothing else was asked type of sorb, service records or even the personal training record of those involved. But this might be due to no formal investigation procedure or agency being involved, other than the Police and they were not diving people. They did send kit off to the Police diving department, who just confirmed that it worked and described its operation. But I have seen reports where "expert witnesses" described the kit and the modification etc.

regards
    In remission from Anorexia

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

using industrial o2 in a ccr

Quote Originally Posted by String View Post
    Our work tanks have to be returned with a certain minimum pressure in. Under that we get a fine for cleaning I guess some muppet could have decanted or boosted something else into it if they were trying but i really cant see that.

Im using balloon grade HE and bog standard industrial welding grade O2 and i appear to still be functioning.
    There is also an NRV on each J to stop any external gases from say a garage or factory from getting into the cylinder. So I'd agree the industrial O2 is probably as clean as the diving grade O2 but the thing is as depth increases so does doubt. So for anything deeper than 60M personally I'd go for the proper stuff just so in my head I can categorically rule out any issues with O2 purity. At depth is not the place to be wondering was that a bad O2 fill.

Cathal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Established TDF Member Paul r s's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    What is the cost of none diving grade o2, boc have quoted me 40+VAT for a J

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cathal View Post
    There is also an NRV on each J to stop any external gases from say a garage or factory from getting into the cylinder. So I'd agree the industrial O2 is probably as clean as the diving grade O2 but the thing is as depth increases so does doubt. So for anything deeper than 60M personally I'd go for the proper stuff just so in my head I can categorically rule out any issues with O2 purity. At depth is not the place to be wondering was that a bad O2 fill.

Cathal

Just thinking, 02 is 02, surely 200 plus bar in the cylinder will not take kindly to the impurities? If you think there are impurities in there? So if we are to believe the O2 clean hype then I would imagine that the O2 in the Wielding cylinders is the same as the O2 in the diving cylinders? just a though

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cathal View Post
    There is also an NRV on each J to stop any external gases from say a garage or factory from getting into the cylinder.

Not sure this is always the case for O2 and it certainly isn't for He and Ar. But they may supply different cylinders to garages etc. compared to places with somewhat more exacting requirements!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Again I was having a thought about this, do we need pure O2? As we go deeper we actually need less %O2 at 90M we need 13% O2 minimum to produce 1.3 set point at 90M, loop would be 13% O2 55% Helium 32% Nitrogen I guess if you wanted 1.3ppo2 and a narcotic depth of 30M. so even a cylinder of Air could produce that O2%. I know that there would be more gas used from the O2 cylinder source. Just wondering what impurities we are worried about? After all neither Nitrogen or Helium will support life and we are happy to breath both of them. If you dive a sentinel CCR it is very easy due to their great off board system to plug in your rich bale out if your O2 onboard is low and use the rich bale out at depth and leave the onboard high O2 for the deco phase. ( very handy feature especially if the dive centre booster is broken and they can only give 100 bar O2 or less, as all automatic no need to manual add for the entire dive). So I struggle to see what the difference is between the so called diving grades? I wish someone who knows would comment? Is it just paper work for the cylinders? I know some guys who work at BOC and they have said when they make O2 its all O2 there are no grades.
    Last edited by flyingfisheye; 14-11-2016 at 09:10 AM.

Nav jāuztraucas par manu zirgu Baron015's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

using industrial o2 in a ccr

On MV Windward liveaboard in Bikini the O2 was about 90% most of the rest was Argon, a byproduct of the O2 generating machine.

Only issue is Argon is a lot more narcotic than N2. So we hiked up the He in the diluent a bit....

Memento mori.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by germie View Post
    I have used the industrial helium and oxygen several times. No problems.
    The biggest difference is not the purity, but that the 50L cylinders where you get it in are not cleaned for they fill them again. So that means that someone could have drained it totally or made impurities in it. With dive oxygen the cylinders are cleaned before you get them. This is what is told to me.
    Urban myth I reckon.

Can you imagine the shouty letters that would go flying around if they supplied contaminated gas and fucked up a few million quids worth of aerospace laser welding machine or similar?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234