X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steve c r
    TDF Member
    • Feb 2013

using industrial o2 in a ccr

hi all is anybody out there actualy using industrial o2 in there rebreather ? comman scence tells me its the same gas as diving grade. but most companys who are willing to deal in small amounts [1 j per month ] dont sell diving grade. boc want an arm and a leg in payment for getting dive grde from them. and after all the purity is the same 99.5% pure. just looking for assurance i wont die before getting a j of ind o2 . thanks in advance
  • hamishmorrison
    New TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

My usage is considerably less than what you mention & I currently pay Air Liquide £34.60 for a J of Diving Oxygen. Having said that I'm 99.5% sure you won't die if you take industrial grade!

Comment

• Firthy
      Platinum member... I wish
      • Dec 2012

The assurance and certification that you won't die from impurities in the gas is why diving grade costs more.

You may well be fine with industrial grade gas but i'd be careful what purity grade you were buying and no supplier is going to offer that assurance.

Comment

• nigel hewitt
        Established TDF Member
        • Sep 2013

I've happily used it when my supplier didn't have diving grade.
        Ditto industrial helium.

The purity is the same, it just has a different paper trail to document it.
        Helium, because I'm worth it.
        Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounded like a radical holiday opportunity until I looked it up.

Comment

• flyingfisheye
          Established TDF Member
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by nigel hewitt
          The purity is the same, it just has a different paper trail to document it.
          I heard the same too, a mate used to run an engineering factory, he was a diver they used to have loads of O2 sent in from BOC. He asked once what the difference was between the black industrial cylinders of O2 and the White top medical ones and the diving ones. Now and again he was sent the White top medical cylinders of O2. Basically the answer was the same o2 in the cylinders but the paper work was not the same. I guess as Air has a fair amount of impurities in it 79% in fact. I often wondered what the difference was between Diving O2 and also Diving Helium from the others available?
          In remission from Anorexia

Comment

• WFO
            Established TDF Member
            • Dec 2012

Yeah, welding grade o2 and helium from air products. The purity is as good as dive grade.

Comment

• Jackdiver
              Mark
              • Dec 2012

I have used W's of welding O2 for years...
              Not a "Technical Diver"....

Comment

• steve c r
                TDF Member
                • Feb 2013

thanks lads shall give it a shot

Comment

• Paulo
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Dec 2012

Lads in my local BOC and Air Products places have told me the only difference is that they purge the medical / diving stuff every time and that it comes with a papertrail. BOC diving o2 was 99.5% when I checked the data sheets and the industrial was 99.95 so was actually "purer" but I suspect that the difference was that they were only willing to stand over 99.5 for diving / medical.

BTW diving / medical are the same just diving is a higher pressure, if you didnt know
                  If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• Tewdric
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by WFO
                    Yeah, welding grade o2 and helium from air products. The purity is as good as dive grade.

Any evidence for that statement? A reference would be useful.

Comment

• Paulo
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Tewdric
                      Any evidence for that statement? A reference would be useful.
                      To which part?

Comment

• Tewdric
                        Established TDF Member
                        • Feb 2013

Sorry I fluffed the quote - now corrected. You're quick

Comment

• Tewdric
                          Established TDF Member
                          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Paulo
                          Lads in my local BOC and Air Products places have told me the only difference is that they purge the medical / diving stuff every time and that it comes with a papertrail. BOC diving o2 was 99.5% when I checked the data sheets and the industrial was 99.95 so was actually "purer" but I suspect that the difference was that they were only willing to stand over 99.5 for diving / medical.

BTW diving / medical are the same just diving is a higher pressure, if you didnt know
                          So diving grade is continually quality assured as suitable for pumping to super high scuba tank pressure and the rest is probably the same, but without the additional procedural steps there's no way of knowing for sure?

Comment

• nigel hewitt
                            Established TDF Member
                            • Sep 2013

Good, consistent welds are important to a business.
                            That demands reliable gasses.
                            None of this 'breathing' rubbish.
                            Helium, because I'm worth it.
                            Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounded like a radical holiday opportunity until I looked it up.

Comment

• Paulo
                              Established TDF Member
                              • Dec 2012

The grumpier of the 2 in my local BOC is always very quick to point out that they do not condone decanting O2. I always ask him what sort of dive to 6m does he think I am doing with his 90kg cylinder

Comment

Working...