Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chesil Cove

Like a real diver but smaller apparently purple vonny's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Chesil Cove

Years ago, when I learned to dive, a dive club mate said that Chesil Cove was one of the best places in the UK to shore dive. Following on from Two old Farts and a Spiky Fish https://www.thediveforum.com/showthr...d-a-spiky-fish - recently with Dave Whitlow, I thought I'd post a few photos of today's dive with my old man. he normally free-dives and goes spear fishing. But today, with Easterly winds, which are perfect for calm Chesil conditions, I persuaded him to come diving with me (with a cylinder on his back).

I have lived in Weymouth for nearly 10 years now. I moved here for easy diving on the doorstep and I am constantly amazed by how lovely it is within a 10 minute drive from my front door.
    Chesil Cove can be challenging on a good day and impossible to dive on days when we have Westerly or South westerly winds. Only challenging in as much as it is a right old slog up the pebbles when you get out. However - whereas I used to battle up the beach to keep pride in tact, I now ditch my camera, fins and weight belt beyond the tide line and come up the beach in two trips. Once with BCD and the second trip with weight belt, fins and camera. This is easy to do and no one will nick your kit in the interim.

The joys of Chesil include:
    Beautiful site with lovely varied life with each passing month between March and November
    a Gorgeous pebble beach with a pub and a cafe and very few people on it
    One of the most unusual sites in terms of underwater topography. It has a reef, sandy sea bed, big rocks, kelp forest and bits of wrecks.
    It changes every year. No matter what the weather and storms throws at it, it is re-born each year and looks different from the year before.

Today, 30th October, is the time when the fish are normally swimming off and leaving the site rather barren. But today was gorgeous, warm weather and the Easterly winds made conditions brilliant. 8- 10 metres vis, lovely shoals of sand eels and fry, tons of dogfish (cat shark), loads and loads of cuttlefish who wanted to play with us. just thought you might like some nice photos !

Spot the cuttle in the sand

There were 5 cuttles around us when I took this one

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I just love Chesil Cove. When conditions are good it is a proper underwater magical theme park fairyland. I like your getting out idea, although I have found that a shore cover person with a rope is also effective!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tewdric View Post
    I just love Chesil Cove. When conditions are good it is a proper underwater magical theme park fairyland. I like your getting out idea, although I have found that a shore cover person with a rope is also effective!
    I prefer the single journey up the beach and find a slightly diagonal track reduces the walking without moving experience.

Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Brilliant! I particularly like the little cat shark in the last pic, v cute!
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    There have been some nice sole and biggish cod caught off that beach this week too but they were at night. Probably come closer to shore in the evening
    Rememeber anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks PV. Cuttlefish are one of the coolest things on this planet. Probably because to me they seem so otherworldly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Great photos. Really makes me envious living so far from the sea.

I New England, I saw divers using a fibreglass sledge to pull their gear across the shingle. They used it as an SMB when underwater. That may be a useful way to get the gear up at Chesil.

Like a real diver but smaller apparently purple vonny's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post

I New England, I saw divers using a fibreglass sledge to pull their gear across the shingle. They used it as an SMB when underwater. That may be a useful way to get the gear up at Chesil.
    Naaa it keeps us fit lugging the gear about! AS dave whitlow says- " if you can't get up the beach you shouldn't be diving". Never say never though. A sledge and a winch would be great.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    You can change that you know. Vonny did, and so did I, and the result is lots of diving when conditions are good

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by purple vonny View Post
    Naaa it keeps us fit lugging the gear about! AS dave whitlow says- " if you can't get up the beach you shouldn't be diving". Never say never though. A sledge and a winch would be great.

Well 'ard UK divers should find no problems with Chesil.

For those considering it, the easiest time to exit is round low water as the pebbles in the water are quite level and are less inclined to roll backwards underfoot. The downside is that means there is more beach to scale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast