Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

View Poll Results: Would you buy gear with high visibility material?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - I would buy gear featuring high visibility material.

29 72.50%
  • NO - I would not buy gear with high visibility material.

11 27.50%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My first drysuit was fluorescent yellow, orange and green and still people lost me...
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin the Nog View Post
    Hi. The flag is kept tidy with a small bungee (elastic band) loop around the middle of the folded sections. There are two larger bungee loops around the bottom and top of the cylinder and the flag is pushed though those, typically positioning it on one side where I can reach it either over my shoulder, or grab the lower end of the poles & pull it out downwards. Bungees on the cylinder are kept in place sandwiched between the cylinder and the mounting plate. I accept that I may loose the small one when deploying the flag but that's OK and I usually just place it over two fingers until we're back on board.
    Thanks for your response, iŽll give a try this weekend

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Manuel Delgado View Post
    Thanks for your response, iŽll give a try this weekend
    Depending on the length, you might be able to attach it to the side of a backplate if you use one? I was experimenting with this with a Bowstone flag but haven't got very far as MrsT and I currently use the Narked@60 ones that come in a pouch that's strapped to the cam band.

Regarding deployment, I cannot deploy mine without taking my BCD off but I decided that if things are serious enough that I need the flag out, I'd probably be better sitting on the BCD anyway to gain as much height above the water as possible. We've only used it a few times and then MrsT deployed mine or I used her's, so no need to dekit. We treat the flag as a last resort tool and in all the years we've carried one (6-7), we've only used it twice and neither time was a real emergency.

Procrastinating
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tewdric View Post
    I've seen RN divers in yellow hoods and they do stand out. I did look for one once but couldn't source one.
    You can get them from Lomo Watersports for Ł13. I got one from them a few years ago, always use it when diving off a boat even though it does make me look uncannily like a Minion. Skippers always tell me how much they like it as it makes me so much easier to spot on the surface.

Makes giving my buddy the slip underwater a bit more challenging though....

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Many years ago, it was common practice to wear a separate dayglo orange over hood (just plastic, not neoprene). I've still got mine in the loft somewhere - it's only a mere 48 years old!

As for flags, mine is made from upvc plumbing pipe and an old SMB which split.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I used to have an orange hood but left it at Dosthill Quarry it was not handed in so somebody must like it! I have yellow fins. I am a great believer in flags. We have made several rather larger than usually sold and have taken to mounting them on cheap fibreglass telescopic fishing rods.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Tested the system of attachment to the bottle this weekend and everything without problems, thank you very much to all. The main problem I find is that with the current system or a partner unlocks the post of the bottle or I have to remove the wing to remove it myself. I tried to position it on the steel plate, but the post is too big and it did bother me when diving.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123