Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

View Poll Results: Would you buy gear with high visibility material?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - I would buy gear featuring high visibility material.

    29 72.50%
  • NO - I would not buy gear with high visibility material.

    11 27.50%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11
    TDF Member leehebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Outer Hebrides
    Posts
    342
    Likes (Given)
    189
    Likes (Received)
    111
    I used to dive with a guy with a bright yellow hood, it was great could see him fo mile, still did not stop me taking the pee as he looked like a tennis ball.

    I like black as I like t blend in with nature not stand out like a beacon, for that I carry a folding flag, radio and torch

  2. #12
    Hail the Children of LLyr
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Posts
    3,113
    Likes (Given)
    1052
    Likes (Received)
    1331
    When we first started buying wetsuits they always seemed to have bright colours inside but were (mainly) black on the outside. Someone told us this was so you were easier to find once your wetsuit had been torn open on the rocks/wreck/ by sharks teeth.

    Perhaps drysuits should be bright colours on the inside ;-)


    btw: I like bright accessories. One of the most useful has been the folding flag. Bungeed to your cylinder it makes you very visible to those behind you (great in groups when your buddy is trying to spot you amongst the throng.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

  3. #13
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    734
    Likes (Given)
    109
    Likes (Received)
    224
    I've seen RN divers in yellow hoods and they do stand out. I did look for one once but couldn't source one.

  4. #14
    'Day 1' TDF Member doggy's doodah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    A galaxy far, far away.
    Posts
    981
    Likes (Given)
    152
    Likes (Received)
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by leehebs View Post
    I used to dive with a guy with a bright yellow hood, it was great could see him fo mile, still did not stop me taking the pee as he looked like a tennis ball.

    I didn't know we'd dived together!
    Growing old is mandatory, growing wise is optional.

  5. #15
    'Day 1' TDF Member doggy's doodah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    A galaxy far, far away.
    Posts
    981
    Likes (Given)
    152
    Likes (Received)
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by Tewdric View Post
    I've seen RN divers in yellow hoods and they do stand out. I did look for one once but couldn't source one.
    I'm a sad, sad bunny. I used to make my own hoods. Back in the day I found some neoprene which was flourescent pink one side and flourescent yellow the other - deep joy! So I made a couple of hoods, but cut the panels in half, so I had alternate quadrants of pink and yellow!

    But it did stand out!

    Some of you PSOFs might remember me!

    I had gloves to match! But I bought them.
    Growing old is mandatory, growing wise is optional.

  6. #16
    Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Guernsey
    Posts
    6,856
    Likes (Given)
    4344
    Likes (Received)
    5313
    I have a fluorescent yellow hood for night diving, Beaver do them.
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine French critic and historian (1828-93)

  7. #17
    TDF Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    229
    Likes (Given)
    101
    Likes (Received)
    137
    My username indicates my preference for hood colour :-)
    When I got my drysuit from O'Three there was a misunderstanding at first - quickly resolved - and as a result I have an unused hood (L) with bright yellow side panels available. if anyone would like it, PM me.

    Sent from my GT-I9401 using Tapatalk

  8. #18
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    734
    Likes (Given)
    109
    Likes (Received)
    224
    I've just discovered that the Navy use Northern Diver hoods, which are reversible yellow and black, with a close fitting super flexible face seal that works well with an Aga mask as well as a half mask. I'll give one a go. Black to look cool on quarry YouTube vids, yellow when the viz is poor and in the sea where losing your blob in a swell could lead to drama. Can't hurt.
    Last edited by Tewdric; 12-03-2017 at 08:31 PM.

  9. #19
    New TDF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    spain
    Posts
    3
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin the Nog View Post
    When we first started buying wetsuits they always seemed to have bright colours inside but were (mainly) black on the outside. Someone told us this was so you were easier to find once your wetsuit had been torn open on the rocks/wreck/ by sharks teeth.

    Perhaps drysuits should be bright colours on the inside ;-)


    btw: I like bright accessories. One of the most useful has been the folding flag. Bungeed to your cylinder it makes you very visible to those behind you (great in groups when your buddy is trying to spot you amongst the throng.
    Greetings to all from Southern Spain. I have just bought a three part foldable diving flag (https://www.divingdirect.co.uk/divin...lding-flag-p83) in the UK on the internet, because we normally do diving from the shore and I would like to ask you how you attach the flag to the side of the bottle. As the size of the flag pole, still folded, is relatively large, I thought of tying it to the cinch of the bottle, and parallel to it. What I can't think of is any idea that would allow me to separate it from the tie without the need for third party help or having to remove my jacket. Any idea or help on the placement will be welcome. Thank you

  10. #20
    Hail the Children of LLyr
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Posts
    3,113
    Likes (Given)
    1052
    Likes (Received)
    1331
    Quote Originally Posted by Manuel Delgado View Post
    Greetings to all from Southern Spain. I have just bought a three part foldable diving flag (https://www.divingdirect.co.uk/divin...lding-flag-p83) in the UK on the internet, because we normally do diving from the shore and I would like to ask you how you attach the flag to the side of the bottle. As the size of the flag pole, still folded, is relatively large, I thought of tying it to the cinch of the bottle, and parallel to it. What I can't think of is any idea that would allow me to separate it from the tie without the need for third party help or having to remove my jacket. Any idea or help on the placement will be welcome. Thank you
    Hi. The flag is kept tidy with a small bungee (elastic band) loop around the middle of the folded sections. There are two larger bungee loops around the bottom and top of the cylinder and the flag is pushed though those, typically positioning it on one side where I can reach it either over my shoulder, or grab the lower end of the poles & pull it out downwards. Bungees on the cylinder are kept in place sandwiched between the cylinder and the mounting plate. I accept that I may loose the small one when deploying the flag but that's OK and I usually just place it over two fingers until we're back on board.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •