Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • graham_hk
    Established TDF Member
    • Jan 2013

Last edited by graham_hk; 01-12-2020, 03:28 AM.

Comment

• jamesp
      Established TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by graham_hk
      I just did a 85m, 80min BT, 5 hour dive today (and another 2 x 4 hour dives days before) with my GUE ccr today - good luck making those dives more simple! I suspect I have missed more deco from my computer than most recreational divers do in a year.
      I doubt you were using 32% for the bottom mix though.

Comment

• cathal
        Established TDF Member
        • Jan 2013

Just to be sure of what you said: a 1 hour twenty minute bottom time at 85 meters with a 5 hour runtime. Looks like you have missed about 4 hours of deco. Would love to hear more.

Comment

• Ian_6301
          Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by cathal
          Just to be sure of what you said: a 1 hour twenty minute bottom time at 85 meters with a 5 hour runtime. Looks like you have missed about 4 hours of deco. Would love to hear more.
          Yup. Multideco on GF20/85, 10/70 dil, 1.2 SP 85m, 80 mins looks like a 10 hr dive to me, Graham.

Even running straight Buhlmann, it's 419 mins or 7 hrs...

Did you do some extra deco in a chamber, or have I missed something?
          Strategy without Tactics is the slowest route to Victory. Tactics without Strategy is the sound before defeat.

Comment

• jturner
            Established TDF Member
            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Ian_6301
            Yup. Multideco on GF20/85, 10/70 dil, 1.2 SP 85m, 80 mins looks like a 10 hr dive to me, Graham.

Even running straight Buhlmann, it's 419 mins or 7 hrs...

Did you do some extra deco in a chamber, or have I missed something?
            He was in a submarine, with the CCR as emergency escape equipment?!
            The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I worked for etc.

Comment

• Paulo
              Established TDF Member
              • Dec 2012

Or typo
              If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• dynarob
                TDF Ski Bum
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Paulo
                Or typo
                Edited this morning (to remove the boast about 'missing' deco)

Conceivable it's a cave dive so not square profile.

I've noticed that divers from certain agencies like to suggest they're such amazing athletes that they don't need to do the same deco as mere mortals, I just saw it as more of that.
                Last edited by dynarob; 23-09-2016, 12:19 PM.
                www.facebook.com/ChesilCove

Comment

• Garf
                  Administrator
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by dynarob

I've noticed certain agencies like to suggest that their divers are such amazing athletes that they don't need to do the same deco as mere mortals, I just saw it as more of that.
                  I've never seen an agency suggest anything on these boards. Divers themselves on the other hand, might say any old bollocks on the internet. Please do not equate individual diver statements to an agency policy as that's how agency bashing and inter-agency irritations start.

GUE, for example, have to my knowledge never made an official statement on this board. GUE DO encourage people to make lifestyle changes when diving to benefit their decompression and their own personal health and safety. Fitter divers will do better decompression. I think most people accept that. However, the agency has to my knowledge never suggested it's divers are amazing athletes, or indeed fitter than anyone else.

We all have our personal goals and standards. One of the reasons I decided to take a break and not to renew my GUE instructor status this year is that I have NOT made appropriate lifestyle changes. I have become a fat twat. I decided it would be completely hypocritical to teach people the importance of fitness when I had to work to get through an HSE medical.
                  Last edited by Garf; 23-09-2016, 11:39 AM.
                  Gareth Burrows
                  Having a break from teaching divers.
                  www.divedir.com

Comment

• cathal
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Jan 2013

Can you kindly point out how a 85 meter 80 minute BT in a cave profile reduces your deco obligations by at least 4 hours?

Cathal

Comment

• Garf
                      Administrator
                      • Dec 2012

Can you kindly point out how a 85 meter 80 minute BT in a cave profile reduces your deco obligations by at least 4 hours?

Cathal
                      Easy. The cave might bottom out at 85 metres. You reach that point, turn around. You don't spend the whole dive at 85M just the section of the cave at that depth.
                      Last edited by Garf; 23-09-2016, 11:45 AM.
                      Gareth Burrows
                      www.divedir.com

Comment

• cathal
                        Established TDF Member
                        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Garf
                        Can you kindly point out the bit where Graham said he was at 85 metres for the entirety of the bottom time?
                        The bit where where he said he did a 85 meter dive with an 80 minute BT. :
                        "I just did a 85m, 80min BT, 5 hour dive today "

To me that means he spent 80 minutes from when he began to descend to 85 meters and it finished when he started his ascent from 85 meters. But maybe Graham can clarify this bit better.

Comment

• Stew W
                          #VanGogh
                          • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Paulo
                          Or typo

I've noticed certain agencies like to suggest that their divers are such amazing athletes that they don't need to do the same deco as mere mortals, I just saw it as more of that.
                          In fairness to Graham he's not a boastful person. He just generally does these style of dives, and it ends up in the conversation.

As to omitted deco, I think the tell tale sign would be that the Ginger Chiseller was typing from a small cylindrical room at DDRC if he had

Having had some tuition from him, it's fair to say that his deco knowledge is tad above the average of the forum. I'd recommend training with him if you wanted to understand the planning of such dives.

... that's as nice as I'm going to be today. I'm off to troll FB now....
                          "Depends if you do your ascent on the way up" GLOC 2014

Comment

• Garf
                            Administrator
                            • Dec 2012

The bit where where he said he did a 85 meter dive with an 80 minute BT. :
                            "I just did a 85m, 80min BT, 5 hour dive today "

To me that means he spent 80 minutes from when he began to descend to 85 meters and it finished when he started his ascent from 85 meters. But maybe Graham can clarify this bit better.
                            So you assume a square profile. Much of the world's diving is not like this. I'm not saying Graham didn't do a square profile, just that it's easy to leap to conclusions.
                            Gareth Burrows
                            www.divedir.com

Comment

• cathal
                              Established TDF Member
                              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Garf
                              So you assume a square profile. Much of the world's diving is not like this. I'm not saying Graham didn't do a square profile, just that it's easy to leap to conclusions.
                              If it turns out what you propose may of happened did indeed happen, then saying I did 85 Meters with an 80 min BT may possibly not be the right way to describe it.

Comment

• Pete Bullen
                                Dive tart, and 'tog
                                • Dec 2012

They do pimp up nicely though, here is a pimped one next to a standard one in the inland sea. We had some guys out here doing the course a few weeks ago, and the units performed flawlessly the whole week.

Diving, and photography holidays in Gozo
                                Private guiding, don't follow the crowd.
                                http://oceanfoto.co.uk/

Comment

Working...