Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tamaso Maa Jyotir-Gamaya MadUKDiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadUKDiver View Post
    Here is the prototype ready for testing in the water.

The adaptor was machined out of aluminium by Paul at ffsystems

Unfortunately the whole assembly is too big for my pressure pot but as I've already dived the original lamp at 53msw and with the quality of the machining and 3 o-rings at each connection point I'm feeling confident that it won't leak.

It will be interesting to see how long the head lasts as the Chinese frequently over-drive LEDs in pursuit of greater output. Also I can't see how good the front seal design is and the window is acrylic and not glass which is not ideal.

The lamp manufacturer claims 10,000 lumens from the 7 XML LED's but in comparison with more trustworthy rated lamps I estimate it is more likely around 3,000 to 5,000 lumens. Nice tight central spot with sensible spill so I'm hopeful it will be excellent illumination in our murky water.

The off-low-high-sos switch is a rotary collar, based on the L4M experience this may be problematic but at least it is properly anodised which will help. I'm fairly rigorous with kit cleaning anyway. I suspect the collar might be prone to turning on in my bag but unscrewing the Greenforce connector 1-turn in transit will solve that.

Tested in a bucket at 15C with my F2 battery I found 110 minutes burn time on full power with a reserve of another 15 minutes on low output very satisfactory. At the low power setting I estimate burn time will be at least double - 220 minutes.

For less than 80 all in I really can't complain.

One year on, used regularly, and still working perfectly. The one I made for my buddy was used today on HMHS Britannic!!

I've yet to see anything in the branded lamp market that gets anywhere near the same value for per lumen.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadUKDiver View Post
    One year on, used regularly, and still working perfectly. The one I made for my buddy was used today on HMHS Britannic!!

I've yet to see anything in the branded lamp market that gets anywhere near the same value for per lumen.
    How do I get one?

Cheers
    Matt.

Tamaso Maa Jyotir-Gamaya MadUKDiver's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    How do I get one?

Cheers
    Matt.
    Hi Matt

I've had a few people PM me for additional details so put it here to help...

I took a punt on a Chinese dive lamp that looks like these (Link)

An important part of the lamp selection was its input voltage - the Greenforce F2 battery is nominally 12 volts so I needed a lamp that would work with at least 3 lithium (3.7v) batteries (and hoped it had the headroom for a little extra voltage).

The one I bought came from seller "bigfruit" who is still selling similar looking lamps (Link)

The batteries that came with the lamp were fake with very limited capacity but the lamp itself seemed ok.

I then asked Paul at ffsystems to make an adaptor to connect the lamp to the Greenforce umbilical. I sent him the head and umbilical so he could determine the exact threads and diameters for the adaptor. Paul sent back the head, umbilical and 2 adaptors. I fitted it all together and took it for a test dive and have been using it since.

I bought a second head for my buddy (from the same seller). It arrived but I found the fit of the adaptor was not quite as good. Chinese gear has dubious quality control and every batch varies. I sourced some o-rings that were slightly thicker than the Chinese ones which sorted the problem. I would therefore suggest if you are building more than one to get all the heads first so the fabricator can find the optimum dimensions for the adaptor.

Because it doesn't give such a narrow pencil beam it is perhaps not quite as good as lamps like the L4M 7XML if you want to look into the far distance but closer up it's damn good. As I suspected the on-off rotary collar switch does need some care - (it's almost impossible to dismantle for maintenance) so keep sand and grit out of it; wash it after each dive and spray it with silicone spray frequently.

Perhaps start a list here of people willing to risk 80 or so quid on a 'project' torch that might flood or fail on its first outing.

If there are enough people willing to take the risk then one person can collect the money (in advance), buy the lamps, engage a fabricator like ffsystems to make the adaptors and then send the parts out. It's going to take around 3 months to complete. If they have a pressure pot big enough to test each head that would be hugely beneficial too. For doing the legwork they should probably get theirs at a significant discount.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I built mine from this thread over a year ago and its still going well, only fault is the rotary switch which failed on the first dive so will only give high or sos. I can live with that for what it cost me compared to buying a new torch

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Strange this thread should get resurected - I sent one of the adaptors off a couple of weeks ago after pointing someone at this thread as a good way to get a cheap dive torch.

If there is interest I can make another batch of adaptors up for those with a Greenforce umbilical or can make an adaptor that could be fitted on any battery pack and go straight into the head for those without.

I have a pressure pot that will take the head so can test as well.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Don't know about anyone else but I'd certainly be interested in going in with someone else on it. I wouldn't have the time to co-ordinate a buy in but would happily pitch in some cash.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Are these still being made? I'd ideally like to go down the umbilical torch route, but not sure which one to go for. Have tried the Focus, amazing, but way over my budget and I'd probably look like a 'all the gear but no idea' person if I bought one.

Potentially interested in the above pending research on the LED's used. Is there a bigger battery option?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Which bits are you interested in?

MadUKDiver used a Greenforce battery pack, Greenforce lead, an adaptor I made, and a chinese lamp head.

Do you have a Greenforce battery pack as your starting point?

If you have an umbilical battery pack & lead I can sort you out with an adaptor from Geenforce connector to chinese head or an adaptor from cable to chinese head, like a Greenforce cable connector and and adaptor in one piece.

Details shown at http://ffsystems.co.uk/torch_adapter.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123