Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Dive tart, and 'tog Pete Bullen's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Cheers String, some good points, bailout would be to get me back to the surface safely, I wouldn't expect to continue the dive and with a SAC of around 7 (when working reasonably hard, not fighting a current), I'm as good on air as the best of my clients who in the main are on OC anyway. If it was a planned deco dive I'd approach the whole bailout aspect very differently but equally it would probably be off a boat anyway so weight and bulk would be less of an issue.

Your point re fine tuning buoyancy is one I hadn't thought of, on OC I can be in any position and instinctively know when and how much to breathe in or out to make micro adjustments and I think, now, that I would hate that aspect of it on CC.

4hrs would be plenty, it's rare I do more than two dives/day and would be back at the DC and able to top up/change lime etc if I was planning a 3rd dive anyway.

One of the reasons I'm keen on no/small bailout is to avoid the time it takes to ferry stages etc back and forward as well as carrying the unit and I don't want to drag a unit plus fairly heavy stage up and down to the Blue Hole twice a day in 40c+ heat August, it's hard enough with a heavy 12l

And YES MrPOman there are plenty of fish in Gozo, you just need to know the island and have the right dive skills. If you can't see them then I suggest looking inwards mate.

One of the things that made me reconsider this whole subject is a night dive I did a couple of days ago, I found a shoal of baby squid, which are always shy and easily spooked, every time I got close to them at the slightest exhale they scattered and I then had to spend another 15 minutes searching for them again, took me 75 minutes to get two shots of the little sods

Paul if it looked like I might have to work hard to get out I wouldn't get in My 3 stages of risk assessment are, 1. Can I get out safely in these conditions? 2. Can I get my clients out safely in these conditions? 3. Can we get our cameras out safely in these conditions? Carrying 10 grand plus of camera and maybe needing one hand for it tends to make you even more cautious.
    Diving, and photography holidays in Gozo
    Private guiding, don't follow the crowd.
    http://oceanfoto.co.uk/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    From the above a 5l or AL40 sounds more than sufficient. Light as hell, no issue to drag across rocks. CCR isnt a holy grail of marine life interraction - bubbles or not you're still a big, strange object making some odd noises and some strange electrical impulses. Simply being there can spook some fish (they can see you!) although i admit bubbles are a large part. The main advantage i find is being able to lurk at whatever depth for ages with no worry about gas consumption. I still scare marine life off by simply existing in their area or by flailing around wildly next to them (im not that good on a rebreather...).

rEvo micro or Evo with travel frame sounds a sane choice.

Dive tart, and 'tog Pete Bullen's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by String View Post
    rEvo micro or Evo with travel frame sounds a sane choice.
    As it happens I've already pinged Simon on FB
    Diving, and photography holidays in Gozo
    Private guiding, don't follow the crowd.
    http://oceanfoto.co.uk/

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    get a rebreath...... Oh . ah um ....

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If I retire to Gozo (which is a slight possibility) I'd be on a trimix Inspo or JJ before you could say credit card bill. 7 and 11l stages depending on the dive natch.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    id be happy with 3l s or 4l cylinders and keep my deco times to the 6m stop ,

you need to be able to dive them oc or ccr , if you can get your self back to 6m a 3l of o2 will last you a long time , even with 50 bar out of it your looking at about 40 mins if you can keep that sac of 7 going , co2 risk yes , but hay if you want to cover that one your boat diving and your boat will need a lift lol ,

did a weeks diving the red sea on a baby ybod 2l cylinders , and played at bailing out from 32m on the 2l cylinders no problem .
    just dont hang about , lol none of that deep stop bollocs
    Last edited by gobfish1; 23-08-2016 at 05:34 PM.

Nav jāuztraucas par manu zirgu Baron015's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Prepared to be shot down here but...?

I always use an Ali40 when diving no stop at recreational depths, usually with 32% in it. I would consider a 3L adequate for some dives.

No need for a 12L unless you need the gas volume for bail out. Some dives you could do semi-alpinist as you can bail out to onboard dil with a BOV or second stage fitted (some failures more complex than others).

Alpinist is not for me but some people do it. Must be confident of a bail out CESA. Not for me thanks.

A JJ is nice unit and quite light but a Pathfinder is even smaller and lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Baron015; 23-08-2016 at 05:25 PM.

Memento mori.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    What about the Explorer sport with a three bail out.
    Cheap enough. Quiet and will cover what you want Pete.

Before you "breeva" chaps/chapesses chirp. He's looking at tog not the abyss with a two day stop in the middle of nowhere ��
    Craig..

People who look good in a mask are usually ugly without one.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Ok I'm biased as I dive a rEvo, but somebody else already said it: a micro FT titanium, with a NERD and an AL40 would get you very close to wildlife, wouldn't be bigger profile than an OC rig and would take you safely home without breaking your back. There are sensibly priced 2nd hand units on the market nowadays. The other one I'd consider is a JJ again with a NERD controller. Slightly better flood recovery, but you lose out on the very clever safety design of the dual rEvo scrubber. And it is bigger and heavier than a micro FT, so scrambling to shore might be more difficult. Getting training and JJ buddies would be easier in Malta as many instructors are taking their students there.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    For just about the simplest, lightest unit, have a look at the Kiss Spirit LTE. Uses a single 2 litre O2 bottle slung across the bottom, then a combined bailout / Dil bottle under your arm. It weighs about the same as an Al80 and BC when diving in warm water, travels very well. Not great flood recovery, but a good BOV, and you'll be carrying bailout.

It was kind of the replacement for the Sport Kiss, and is much better than that. When set up right breathes pretty well, about as good as a classic kiss. Can get it with nerd or HUD. A few folk in the US have done silly dives on them, but it's more than OK for regular 30/40m stuff. Not expensive either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast