Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gobfish1
    Last of the Mohicans
    • Jan 2013

6l of dill / bail out and 1l or 2l of 02 , ps a 1l cylinder will out last your scrubber ,
    None diver as of 2018.

Comment

• WFO
      Established TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by notdeadyet
      I'm not up on current rebreathers (mine is 35 years old) but I'd guess something small and light is going to need weight to sink it. Something bigger on a steel plate or frame less so. Size and weight are not necessarily good indicators.
      Not really, it is about the dead volume of them inside rather than overall.

Jeff Keep who is on here has a lovely homebuild, smaller than a KISS, no dead volume inside so with the normal 3mm backplate you need no lead to dive it with a drysuit and it is absolutely lovely to use.

Also Chris Kennedy has some builds sort of along similar lines that are really compact and are well worth a look for this sort of diving, check him out if you are on facebook.

Comment

• Major Clanger
        Purine hurts my feet
        • Dec 2012

I know three very well regarded professional underwater rebreather photographers/filmers that always seem to dive with a large camera strapped to them. One has a Poseidon, one has a meg and the other uses a JJ:

Rich Stevenson
        Tony Baskeyfield
        Marjo Tynkkyen

I'm sure any one of them would give you real-time user advice instead of the usual use a jj or use an Inspo blah.
        GaryL

Comment

• Pete Bullen
          Dive tart, and 'tog
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Major Clanger
          I know three very well regarded professional underwater rebreather photographers/filmers that always seem to dive with a large camera strapped to them. One has a Poseidon, one has a meg and the other uses a JJ:

Rich Stevenson
          Tony Baskeyfield
          Marjo Tynkkyen

I'm sure any one of them would give you real-time user advice instead of the usual use a jj or use an Inspo blah.
          Of the three I'm leaning towards the Poseidon. The Revo/mini would also do but since it's rare that I go below 40m the Meg and the JJ seem like overkill and the Poseidon looks like it's designed for exactly the kind of diving I do... oh well it may be an academic exercise anyway as the lucrative work I'd been offered for the winter may have gone sideways
          Diving, and photography holidays in Gozo
          Private guiding, don't follow the crowd.
          http://oceanfoto.co.uk/

Comment

• Major Clanger
            Purine hurts my feet
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Pete Bullen
            Of the three I'm leaning towards the Poseidon. The Revo/mini would also do but since it's rare that I go below 40m the Meg and the JJ seem like overkill and the Poseidon looks like it's designed for exactly the kind of diving I do... oh well it may be an academic exercise anyway as the lucrative work I'd been offered for the winter may have gone sideways
            Tony (Poseidon) does articles and photos for BSAC as well as freelance stuff and a member of my club. I could get you his number for a chat if you'd like.

Sent from my ivory tower using Tapatalk
            GaryL

Comment

• String
              Loathes Snorkels
              • Dec 2012

Poseidon looks like it's designed for exactly the kind of diving I do... oh well it may be an academic exercise anyway as the lucrative work I'd been offered for the winter may have gone sideways
              That depends if you want a black box that removes the brain from the equation and eliminates the ability to troubleshoot. Be prepared to not dive relatively often (and for very very expensive upgrades if you decide to go further on one). I know quite a few people that had and then sold Poseidons (6 not the 7).
              Random collection of average photos on Flickr

Comment

• Darren A
                Established TDF Member
                • Dec 2012

There's a sentinel going for a grand on another thread

Comment

• Pete Bullen
                  Dive tart, and 'tog
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Darren A
                  There's a sentinel going for a grand on another thread
                  Have you seen my OP? The last thing I want is a ton weight of disco fridge sitting in a corner bleeping at me.
                  Diving, and photography holidays in Gozo
                  Private guiding, don't follow the crowd.
                  http://oceanfoto.co.uk/

Comment

• Barrygoss
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Dec 2012

Have you seen my OP? The last thing I want is a ton weight of disco fridge sitting in a corner bleeping at me.
                    I've got a kiss sport sat in the garage doing nothing.
                    17kg loaded and ready to dive.

Work out some way to get it to you and you can play with it on loan for a good while.

B
                    (It'll need cells and cylinder tests, but it has a BOV and Mk 2 displays)
                    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Comment

• Dave1w
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Jan 2013

Prepared to be shot down here but...?

Originally posted by Barrygoss
                      I've got a kiss sport sat in the garage doing nothing.
                      17kg loaded and ready to dive.

Work out some way to get it to you and you can play with it on loan for a good while.

B
                      (It'll need cells and cylinder tests, but it has a BOV and Mk 2 displays)
                      As simple and light weight as they come, and great to start out on.

I always wondered why the term recreational rebreather was applied to the magic boxes like the Poseidon and Explorer, when the Sport Kiss is as simple as you can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Alby R
                        Established TDF Member
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by String
                        That depends if you want a black box that removes the brain from the equation and eliminates the ability to troubleshoot. Be prepared to not dive relatively often (and for very very expensive upgrades if you decide to go further on one). I know quite a few people that had and then sold Poseidons (6 not the 7).
                        ditto, every one of these i have seen on dive trips has always been in bits trying to get the thing to work

alby

Comment

• nigel hewitt
                          Established TDF Member
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Dave1w
                          I always wondered why the term recreational rebreather was applied to the magic boxes like the Poseidon and Explorer, when the Sport Kiss is as simple as you can get.
                          I thought it was because it's an MCCR?
                          I wouldn't trust me to dive one.
                          Helium, because I'm worth it.
                          Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounded like a radical holiday opportunity until I looked it up.

Comment

• Dave1w
                            Established TDF Member
                            • Jan 2013

I'd of thought with your other hobbies mCCR would your kind of thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• mark weaver
                              Established TDF Member
                              • Dec 2012

Paul if it looked like I might have to work hard to get out I wouldn't get in My 3 stages of risk assessment are, 1. Can I get out safely in these conditions? 2. Can I get my clients out safely in these conditions? 3. Can we get our cameras out safely in these conditions? Carrying 10 grand plus of camera and maybe needing one hand for it tends to make you even more cautious.
                              ftfy

My 3 stages of risk assessment are,
                              1. Can I get out safely in these conditions?
                              2. Can i get my camera out safely in these conditions
                              2. Can I get my clients out safely in these conditions

Comment

Working...