Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Like a real diver but smaller apparently purple vonny's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another trip to Egypt

I've just been on my 28th trip to Egypt and eighth (or 9th?) trip to Marsa Shagra, near Marsa Alam. This trip we stayed in a Royal Tent, which is glamping as you get plugs, a fan, a fridge, rattan rugs, a huge comfy bed, 2 big bean bags and a views of the sea and reef right outside your tent.
    Last time we went, about 18 months ago, Shagra was crazy busy and I thought I might not go again because I don't like crowds. However, due to a friend winning a holiday, we agreed very happily to go again. This time, the place was empty. There were never more than 10 people in the kitting up /dive shade area and there were only 3 Royal tents occupied. The neighbouring hotels were empty or closed so the evenings and nights were totally silent which was bliss for us but not good for the local economy.
    People asked if we were mad to go to Egypt. No - not mad at all. Shagra is pretty remote as dive resorts go and very unlikely to be bombed. But tourism is so dire that the sister resorts of Marsa Nakari and Wadi Lahami have temporarily closed. It is a real struggle for Egyptians and for tourism generally.
    We were quite happy to do most of our diving on the house reef but we did a couple of RIB trips to Shaab AbuDabab, Um Halal and Nemo City. Didn't bother with Elphinstone this time as we saw more than we expected locally and we were happy pootling about.

We saw Octopus mating - never seen that before!

And saw turtles on nearly every dive. This is Barny freediving down to a turtle that I was having a chat to

Nemo City, 10 minutes away was very beautiful

We were lucky enough to see dolphins three times too which was a thrill for our dive buddies, who have never seen one. There was much excitement and a bit of a crash trying to see this one

continued:

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    This is where we stayed - our home for the week:

The colours in the Red Sea always amaze me. I spend ages trying to capture on photo what it was like to be there, rather than just taking photos of fish

I must say, if you can afford to go - go. The flights aren't nice. There's no leg room. And you might get the squits, sunburn or a bit fatter from all the grub, but Egypt really does need the tourism and it is VERY quiet there. The security at Marsa Alam airport was mental. I got searched twice. Full body search (not with rubber gloves, but fully frisked) and my bag contents were checked twice but that made me feel safer.

Go now and get a nice warm water holiday. There are bargains to be had and the water is 30 degrees.

Established TDF Member Eddie Clamp's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Looks like a great trip. Late booking Liveaboard next month hopefully. Hot. exciting and cheap ;-)

Self Defecating The Real Paulus's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The MD was looking over my shoulder as I was admiring this shot and commented how nice it is!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Clamp View Post
    Looks like a great trip. Late booking Liveaboard next month hopefully. Hot. exciting and cheap ;-)
    Us too! Which boat Eddie?

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Lovely pictures Vonny, thanks for sharing.
    I think the octopus in the second shot is leaning towards the fish (wrasse?) who is tickling him behind the ears. You can see the occie smiling and going mmmmm.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Great shot of the Tentacle of Life and Death. There would be less of the human plague if we thought we would be dying soon after sex.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I see blue02 now offer - Rocky, Zabargad & St. Johns. Has anyone dived rocky and zabargad please?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi, dived both many times. Rocky is a similar dive to the Brothers with steep drop offs. On the reef itself, there are quite a lot of caves/swim throughs which are fun.
    Zabergad can be dived in a few ways. There is the "Russian wreck" which is ok if you are missing rusting metal, then there is the coral gardens which are a nice gentle dive, or you can dive through the "caves", have a look at this little video https://youtu.be/gv6SDSlpvrE
    Last edited by w650peter; 24-07-2016 at 01:21 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    I see blue02 now offer - Rocky, Zabargad & St. Johns. Has anyone dived rocky and zabargad please?
    I did this about 10 years back and wasn't really thrilled with the trip. There seemed to be hours and hours of overnight travelling where we were bounced out of our bunks. I'm sure it's not always that rough, but I do remember it being a long way.
    There were a lot of cavey-swimthrough places - this didn't thrill me either because I felt it was like pony-trekking only diver trekking. One after another and no chance to stop and look. Plus I saw hardly any fish in the caves or swim throughs.
    So - for me - I wouldn't go again. I would however do southern trips that include Elphinstone or do the Northern wrecks and reefs.
    I think it's nice for the boat to be still and moored up at night so you can get some rest and not knock yourself out during a trip to the loo.
    Just my 2 penneth - you might love that sort of thing!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast