Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Biox

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    Do you use the biox neat or is it diluted? Seems very expensive if it is use neat once and flush it
    Neat. Reusable. You get what you pay for.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DiverMike View Post
    Is it really any better than citric acid from a home brew shop?
    I was taught that in trials Biox turned out to be an adequate cleaning substance however its advantage is that it is most easily rised. I.e. after it has done it's job it's better that the other cleaners in that it can be washed away.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Personally, if I'm servicing a salt crusted component I use citric acid first for 5 mins or so to get the worst off, then rinse and then use Biox as normal.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I used acid based stuff for years, and the result is that the chrome has been eaten away.

If you are bothered about that then I would use some washing-up liquid or simple-green to remove grease (Biox is not so good at heavy grease) and then clean (O2) in neat-Biox and a bath.

I used about 2.5L of Biox to do 8 1st stages in a 2L bath. It's a bit dirty, but will do another 8 with no issue I would think.

Matt.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If you buy some cheap paper coffee filters from a shop you can filter the used biox and top it up with fresh stuff to get more use out of it.
    Simon

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonhi99 View Post
    If you buy some cheap paper coffee filters from a shop you can filter the used biox and top it up with fresh stuff to get more use out of it.
    Buy? You mean borrow from work? :-)

I shall bring one home next week and give it a whirl. TBH I left it to sit last time and it all settled to the bottom. Looked pretty clean after that.

Top tip. Thanks,
    Matt.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Good afternoon all, may I assist with some of the comments made with regard to Biox 02 Liquid, it is very much appreciated the comments made so far.

I did not join the forum to sell the product, as this is not the place. However, information is important for peoples considerations when dealing with oxygen air lines, cylinders and breathing equipment. Biox 02 is not just a "citric acid" whilst most acids attack metals and rubbers like vinegar and lemon juice, Biox 02 does not attack these materials and does remove contaminates,verdigris and light oils to an excellent standard. Once cleaning is complete either through soaking, ultrasonic tank or pump circulation the items are flushed with demineralised water, then either baked dry or air lined with nitrogen before being packed or reassembled. Simple inspection post cleaning can be done with an ultraviolet inspection light.

Biox 02 is very recyclable, which is better for the environment lasting many months making it more economic. Much of course depends on the condition and contamination of the items being cleaned, but filtration is ideal once the days cleaning is complete. As said by members on here filters are easily obtained for simple filtration purposes, but for flushing pipework a 10 micron filter is recommended. In terms of storage it lasts a very long time even once opened it can last years, just agitate and use as some settling does occur.

Biox 02 is Low VoC and non hazardous and is very safe for use in confined spaces. If spillages happen they can by flushed into potable water waste systems and once exhausted, post filtration can be disposed of through this route. But consideration must be taken as to how the product has been used, as if the product has been contaminated badly with oils or toxic materials (not usual) depending upon its cleaning duties, then local council regulations would and should apply. Biox 02 is neutralized with a small amount of Baking soda.

Of course their are alternatives out there for oxygen cleaning and we all have the choice to decide on what product to use. But Biox 02 is used by many military and rescue services along with many large Offshore Gas companies for both mixed gas and oxygen cleaning requirements. Many say that although there are alternative options to Biox 02, that they are not as universally flexible in their cleaning abilities as Biox 02 Liquid. Many of our customers have achieved DNV accreditation using Biox 02 in their oxygen cleaning routines and recently Biox 02 has been used with great success to clean pipework at a hydrogen plant.

With regard to removing impact greases or heavier oils prior to immersion in Biox 02 Liquid, washing up liquid is used as its active ingredient is the surfactant, which its job is to remove greases. However, it is vital to remove this in the cleaning processes, should any deposits remain this might cause serious problems to the user. Isopropyl alcohol can be used to remove oils too, but off gassing and disposal of the product requires a lot of attention and is not our recommendation. We do supply a product called Bio Deg which must be diluted with water from 6-8 :1 as it is concentrate in its supplied form. it has a good health and safety for a de-greaser, little off gassing and compatible with Biox 02 in a cleaning routine.

Thank you to geordie for listing our Distributors and to the positive experiences members have put forward. Should we be able to assist members particularly newly qualified Padi service engineers or local club service agents with cleaning procedures and sourcing products and information just message or email me.

I hope the above details are of use to all.

ATB
    Last edited by BioxInt; 14-02-2020 at 11:02 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12