Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Club Membership Database

For my sins I have taken over as DO of a small BSAC dive club. I am thinking about using either some linked spreadsheets or an Access database to track diver's qualifications, dive statistics, medicals etc.

Before I reinvent the wheel I wondered if there might be anyone out there who has done this already or has a similar database and would be willing to share it with me.

Cheers

Steve

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    My club just went through the same thing and were pointed towards http://xsacdb.wjdp.uk/ it's tailored to BSAC clubs and works really well. We've got about 30 of the members on there so far and so far it's great.

Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Just something to be aware of.

The Data Protection laws have changed.

GDPR has been ratified and is now on the books, but will not be enforced until May 2018.

The draft articles are here: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-conte...PC0011&from=EN

No-one is 100% sure how this is going to pan out yet, but the smart money is on the fact that any trade agreements that we strike up with the EU will require GDPR as a condition of doing business, so it's coming in whether we're in Europe or not.

The current DPA offers exceptions in certain circumstances, including small volumes of records, into which most BSAC clubs will fall.

Not sure how the new regulations will work out in this regard, but complying is mostly an exercise in common sense and just means stating the bleeding obvious up front.

Check out the ICO website for guidance as it becomes available. https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/ Their website is actually not bad.
    DISCLAIMER: If you don't understand this shit, ask a grown up, preferably someone with deep pockets, who your widow/kids can sue. Don't trust people on the internet with your life, your credit card details or your naked selfies! This advice may contain, or indeed be written by someone who is (clinically), nuts.

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If you get in contact with BSAC they will be able to give you chapter and verse but I think that there is some software coming out for clubs in the near future that will take care of many club database records etc. I suspect that they will also have taken into account the requirements of the Data Protection Act.
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_6301 View Post

The current DPA offers exceptions in certain circumstances, including small volumes of records, into which most BSAC clubs will fall.

Not sure how the new regulations will work out in this regard, but complying is mostly an exercise in common sense and just means stating the bleeding obvious up front.

Check out the ICO website for guidance as it becomes available. https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/ Their website is actually not bad.
    The exception is for personal use, like names and contact details of your personal dive buddies. Its the requirement to register (Public Notification) with the IC that has a small user base limit.

Once you start processing data for a ‘club’ you will fall under the DP. That doesn’t change for the new regulations.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
    For my sins I have taken over as DO of a small BSAC dive club. I am thinking about using either some linked spreadsheets or an Access database to track diver's qualifications, dive statistics, medicals etc.

Before I reinvent the wheel I wondered if there might be anyone out there who has done this already or has a similar database and would be willing to share it with me.

Cheers

Steve
    You can do it in Excel - which I have - but it is always going to be creaky (the voice of experience speaks - after about 8 years the dive history gets too clunky - I have split the "database" who could need details of a dive 5+ years ago? Even if they do they can still get to it but it is a bit slower). I also did a kit database in SQL with an Access front end that was easy until we changed Equipment Officer - I deliberately wrote it to be compatible with the 2003 versions but "computer says no". My one learning is that it needs to be very easy and accessible or the data entry gets too burdensome and gets forgotten

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Club Membership Database

Hi Steve,

The link Piemaster provides above is the one we use in NUSAC, I've sent you and Will (the creator) a Facebook message and I'm sure he'll be happy to help you out.

Davs
    Last edited by Davs; 29-06-2016 at 08:12 AM.
    Diving with University of Nottingham Sub Aqua Club. Views are my own and not representative, of anything, not even the views on cheese. Woz smells, of cheese

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Davs View Post
    Hi Steve,

The link Piemaster provides above is the one we use in NUSAC, I've sent you and Will (the creator) a Facebook message and I'm sure he'll be happy to help you out.

Davs
    Many thanks!