Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrickster View Post
    I was always a supporter of GreenForce torches, bright, bulletproof and simple to use.
    They were all the rage a few years ago but I think they have lost a lot of their market share in recent years. No ide if that is just my perception or reality
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilPage View Post
    The button is now recessed, so no accidental switching on.
    I'd read about this before purchase. My button is (very slightly) recessed - I'm assuming there isn't an updated version with a deeper recess?

I've only taken the torch out on the club RIB 3 times since I've had it, but all three times it's been knocked 'on' in my kit bag. Luckily it's a net bag so it's easily spotted and turned off again.

I'm thinking of finding/making some sort of neoprene/similar cover for the head to use to prevent the button being knocked when it's out on the RIB.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    They were all the rage a few years ago but I think they have lost a lot of their market share in recent years. No ide if that is just my perception or reality
    That's been my perception too. When I joined my current club around 10 years ago, three members had just bought greenforce torches within the previous 6-12 months. I was very much a 'new' diver at the time so they seemed completely over-the-top at 600 compared to my 40 UK C4 which "did the job" just fine at the time, but I always had them in my mind as a 'top end' torch.

Fast forward to end of last year / early this year when I start looking for an umbilical torch and I looked into Greenforce, but they seemed to be more expensive / lower spec than other options around the 500 mark. No doubt they are still a good product - those three club members still use the same torches as far as I know - one certainly does and is only now considering a replacement battery pack - and the modular element is interesting - but (without knowing a great deal about them) they seem not to have evolved a great deal whilst more manufacturers have brought similar products out around them.

Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmE View Post
    I'd read about this before purchase. My button is (very slightly) recessed - I'm assuming there isn't an updated version with a deeper recess?

I've only taken the torch out on the club RIB 3 times since I've had it, but all three times it's been knocked 'on' in my kit bag. Luckily it's a net bag so it's easily spotted and turned off again.

I'm thinking of finding/making some sort of neoprene/similar cover for the head to use to prevent the button being knocked when it's out on the RIB.
    What's it doing in your string bag?

Leave it on your rig, strapped to the bottle rack. Clip the head off to the shoulder D ring in the "Stow" configuration and it's about as secure as can be.
    Strategy without Tactics is the slowest route to Victory. Tactics without Strategy is the sound before defeat.

Established TDF Member thetrickster's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    Yeah they were the 'one' to buy a few years ago...

They have been left behind in terms of battery technology (NiMh vs Lithium) and brightness (however a quick look today I see they are past 2000lm now).

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pimp View Post
    Rhys - does it need to be new? I am selling my greenforce umbilical. It's a P7 head with the F2 battery. Plus I'm in norm iron too, so you don't need to worry about visiting the mainland for a torch
    I'm fine with 2nd hand! I don't really know anything about greenforce torches so will have to do some research. I'm in Co. Down so would makes things easy!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Me too... Live in Downpatrick.

You're welcome to try before you buy too!

Where'd The Bubbles Go ....? Capt Morgan's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrickster View Post
    Yeah they were the 'one' to buy a few years ago...

They have been left behind in terms of battery technology (NiMh vs Lithium) and brightness (however a quick look today I see they are past 2000lm now).
    If you looked closer you'd have seen they now do a 4000 lumen head
    I'm still a HID man though.
    The good thing with NiMh is no problem getting on a plane.
    Last edited by Capt Morgan; 02-07-2016 at 01:06 AM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Greenforce do a good job.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pimp View Post
    Me too... Live in Downpatrick.

You're welcome to try before you buy too!
    Ill send you a pm cheers!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234