Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diluent MOD

Where'd The Bubbles Go ....? Capt Morgan's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Diluent MOD

I was wondering what PO2 people base the diluent MOD on ?
    I'm asking from a cylinder depth marking point of view.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    interesting question with 2 answers. However, I never mark the MOD on my diluent I merely mark the contents.

If I did the MOD would be based on 1.6 as that reflects the suitability of the gas for OC use, which might the case if you bailed out.

However, suitability for diluent is somewhat different and higher than 1.2 might give you challenge to flush down the loop ppo2.

Established TDF Member Barrygoss's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Morgan View Post
    I was wondering what PO2 people base the diluent MOD on ?
    I'm asking from a cylinder depth marking point of view.
    Dil cylinder is for my use only. Contents are marked, but as I'll not be switching to it at some point in the dive, no point in marking the MOD, as it's good for the dive.

B
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Likewise Dave I never mark my cylinders with MOD but I was wondering what others based it on.
    I always have my BOV connected to my deep BO tank so I know what I base it on.
    When the CNS clock might be an issue I would run my unit at 1.2 so I like to have a po2 of around
    1 - 1.1 bar but when CNS isn't an issue I run a sp of 1.3 and would be happy enough with an MOD
    based on 1.2
    It's not a game changer but I would just like to know what others think.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrygoss View Post
    Dil cylinder is for my use only. Contents are marked, but as I'll not be switching to it at some point in the dive, no point in marking the MOD, as it's good for the dive.

B
    But what are you basing the fact that it is good for the dive on ?
    Do you see the MOD as dynamic ?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I base MOD for diluent on a ppO2 of 1.1. But also consider EADD (equivalent air density depth) I like this to be max. 40m, breathing dense gas increases risk of a CO2 hit.

So I only use 10/50 to about 75m.
    Last edited by JPTaylor; 21-06-2016 at 09:08 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Morgan View Post
    But what are you basing the fact that it is good for the dive on ?
    Do you see the MOD as dynamic ?
    Dil is the 3 or 5 mounted to the unit, usually 15/55, and marked as such, hence it'll be good to use throughout the dive (or I'll use a different dil, I'm currently looking at 10/60 for a dive)
    But I think you're thinking of deep bail, that's normally the same as dil for me, and again it's not marked as its plumbed into the unit using a QC6, should someone else need it at depth, it's a matter of disconnecting the QC6 and passing over the whole cylinder, takes about 10 seconds.
    I don't see the need to mark a MOD on a cylinder that is good for the max depth of the dive I'm doing?

B
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I don't see the need to mark a MOD on a cylinder that is good for the max depth of the dive I'm doing?

B
    It's for when your pulling a cylinder out of your dive store to prep your unit...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dil is the 3 or 5 mounted to the unit, usually 15/55, and marked as such, hence it'll be good to use throughout the dive (or I'll use a different dil, I'm currently looking at 10/60 for a dive)
    But I think you're thinking of deep bail, that's normally the same as dil for me, and again it's not marked as its plumbed into the unit using a QC6, should someone else need it at depth, it's a matter of disconnecting the QC6 and passing over the whole cylinder, takes about 10 seconds.

B
    No I'm interested what people think about Dil MOD

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPTaylor View Post
    It's for when your pulling a cylinder out of your dive store to prep your unit...
    I only dive 15/55 as dil. That's the only trimix in my garage (so far, as its good to 90)
    Dil cylinders have 15/55 in them.
    This weekends 45m max dives were on 15/55, so I did a bit more deco.

Having cylinders of dil in the garage with different MOD's is a mistake waiting to happen. (Me being risk adverse)

And with only 3 gasses in my garage I have managed to fill my O2 with dil once already in 7 years of mix diving. (As I couldn't get the unit to read 0.9 before the dive, I bailed the dive)

B

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast