X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Snash
    TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

2 diver fatalities at Mornington Pier, Vic, Aus

Sad news from down under and local to me. 2 diver fatalities at Mornington Pier near Melbourne. Pier diving is very popular inside Port Phillip Bay - see my last trip report from last Thursday for a pier dive just a few minutes north of Mornigton https://www.thediveforum.com/showthr...170#post320170

reports are saying 1 female instructor and 1 male - very sad.

A man tells of his desperate but unsuccessful efforts to save a diving instructor and her student who drowned at Mornington, south of Melbourne.

everyone thinks diving in Aus is all like the (not so) Great Barrier Reef but not down here - very much like Cornwall. As we start to go into winter, water temperature is currently 13c and out of the bay we get huge swells - even down at 30ms you can sometimes feel them. It can also get very windy

Mornington Pier is a good shore dive but this tragedy will be felt right round Melbourne

Not a good way to go into the long weekend
  • mark weaver
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

Sad news. Sounds like a very nasty situation to find yourself in.

Condolences to all affected by this.

Comment

• steelemonkey
      Established TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

Very sad.
      I hope Mr Santis gets recognised for his bravery.
      Paul.
      If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
      Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Comment

Working...