Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1w View Post
    I guess it would depend if they have any quality control, what if they test it before shipping, and as it for hydraulics, use oil.... Cheap Chinese so probably not tested so you may be ok!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kinda figured the QC would be suspect at best.

But for the sake of saving several hundred quid I can cope with getting it tested to determine if there are any gain errors in it and factor those in to my blending... not like it is an exact science anyway.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cathal View Post
    As the gauge is needed for blending, accuracy is essential. While this gauge is cheap, when you start using it to blend He especially for OC trimix, the gauge inaccuracy could turn into a rather expensive issue with wrong mixes of trimix being produced using large quantities of expensive He.

FYI these gauges are dearer but for a good reason:
    http://www.keller-druck.com/home_e/paprod_e/eco2_e.asp

Cathal
    And how much are they?

p.s I don't really go for that argument about mega accuracy... if the chinese gauge has an error then just account for it in the usual fudge factors for adiabatic heating/cooling. If you do make a cock of it then ending up with say 17/48 instead of 18/45 makes not hair of a bollocks difference. If I was mixing say 4/90 for silly shit or mixing for a boat full of punters it would be different story.
    Last edited by WFO; 09-06-2016 at 03:25 PM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    And how much are they?

p.s I don't really go for that argument about mega accuracy... if the chinese gauge has an error then just account for it in the usual fudge factors for adiabatic heating/cooling. If you do make a cock of it then ending up with say 17/48 instead of 18/45 makes not hair of a bollocks difference. If I was mixing say 4/90 for silly shit or mixing for a boat full of punters it would be different story.
    I bought mine in 2012 for 166. While its dearer a couple of wrong trimix fills in a set of twin 12's would rapidly make up the difference in cost.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    p.s.s don't like that O ring swivel seal feature, think that's fkin daft.... on my oxygen filler thing I got hold of an all monel wetted parts pressure gauge and an inconel 718 needle valve. Better to keep all polymer crap away from HP o2 wherever possible.
    I don't even see why these SAP and similar bull-nose fittings have an O ring on.... right next to a high flow instant-on cylinder valve on the J? On the proper industrial regulators all those fittings are brass-against-brass to avoid anything burnable there.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cathal View Post
    I bought mine in 2012 for 166. While its dearer a couple of wrong trimix fills in a set of twin 12's would rapidly make up the difference in cost.
    twin 12s with trimix in... wash your mouth out and re-do the sums doing 60 bar top offs in a 3l :-P

But still, how much are you going to cock it up by? A few bar each way? 1 difference a fill?
    Last edited by WFO; 09-06-2016 at 03:35 PM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Kinda figured the QC would be suspect at best.

But for the sake of saving several hundred quid I can cope with getting it tested to determine if there are any gain errors in it and factor those in to my blending... not like it is an exact science anyway.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the accuracy as you'd figure that out and fudge it, but I'd be concerned that being a hydraulic gauge, they could've just stuck it on an oil line to test it, so maybe not a good idea to hook it up to O2 until you've figured out if it can be cleaned.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    80 bar of He , pump to to 260, good for 90m , your over thinking this mixing lark ,

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1w View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about the accuracy as you'd figure that out and fudge it, but I'd be concerned that being a hydraulic gauge, they could've just stuck it on an oil line to test it, so maybe not a good idea to hook it up to O2 until you've figured out if it can be cleaned.
    It's fuckin chinese, what are the chances they've tested it?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123