Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Simple mixing / decanting panel.

Hi there. What's available for simple decanting or mixing? I have donor twinsets for o2, and air. Shortly will be a j of he. It's the panel that I need, or should I just stick with whips? I'm trying to keep things as simple as poss. Any thoughts or ideas please? Thanks.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    whip, gauge, and compressor for air top. what more do you need for nitrox? for trimix you really need a booster before a mixing panel.

Established TDF Member OutOfTest's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Booster or CF...preferably both.

CF for trimix, booster for O2 and 50%. Stick to standard gases and you're onto a winner!

Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Cf?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Continuous flow.

OP if you have far too much money and have a few grand hanging around with nothing tobdo with it then get a panel. Otherwise a good whip with a good digital guage with a compressor and booster is just as good. You will need a compressor and booster with a panel anyway
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A panel is really just a few valves which do the same job as a whip. They just make it less easy to cock up by following a simple routine: add X bar of He, then Y bay or O2, followed by Z bar of air. You can do exactly the same with a single whip / gauge, but you have to connect it to each source in turn - a panel is all permanently connected and mounted on the wall.

Having said that, some people can still cock it up, usually by ignoring the cascade system and taking the top off the fullest Js - that does annoy the rebreather divers in our club!
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    If you want simple, stick with whips. I've seen a lot more mistakes made with panels. When you're spinning whip ends in/out you are spending time having to look directly at cylinders and it seems to give your hungover brain more of a chance to notice a mistake.

Plus if you run one whip for O2 and one for dil etc you've got spares in case something goes wrong

Panels come into their own when you're doing lots of cylinders.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Just stick with a whip if you're talking the sort of volumes with twinsets full of air (twinset full of o2... fk that, a J is cheap enough)

Far more important to know what you're doing and why before you try start "streamlining" by putting all the valves in front of your face, panels are really a dive shop/expedition thing where you've got 10 twinsets of awkward cunts 3 reblends 4 weird mixes and 4 standards and "oh fck why have I got more mixes listed than I have sets in front of me"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have J's of O2 and He and have just used whips and a booster.

Matt.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by depthdevil View Post
    Hi there. What's available for simple decanting or mixing? I have donor twinsets for o2, and air. Shortly will be a j of he. It's the panel that I need, or should I just stick with whips? I'm trying to keep things as simple as poss. Any thoughts or ideas please? Thanks.
    Anything you want is available it’s just the fine details you need addressing and where you what you want to end up with.

A well designed panel will be integrated to safely mix, blend distribute, route analyse and store all your gas. From that you can analyse dispense, fill or blend.
    It can do as little or as much as you want and even be designed to intigtrate into a future scope of supply.

In a good design all the individual components you use will be specific, detailed and designed fit for purpose, consideration to gas flow and velocity, adiabatic compression hazzards, particulate contamination, service, spare parts availability, oxygen cleaning and ease of calibration will all be part of the design.

It should be more than a box on the wall, a engraved front panel with gauges valves and dangling lines.

On the other hand you could just simply buy the components and build your own, they are not expensive.

You just need some detailed advise. Iain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast