Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Diving in Ireland

WARNING: This post is about diving so some may choose to avert their eyes and get back to putting the Internet to rights.

We have heard many tales of hardship and heroics in Ireland so we asked one of the locals to organise a trip and this was attended by a select group of TDF divers. Inclusion rules were no noisy bubbles and scooters preferred.

Various ferry options were selected and some travelled to Liverpool and took the long haul to Belfast whilst the more discerning risked the traffic in both Wales and Eire and travelled on the shorter Holyhead to Dublin ferry.

I am starting this report after the third day of diving so will include the logistics overview up front.

The centre hosting our trip is Mevagh Diving Centre in Carrigart, co. Donnegal.

We were quickly impressed by comprehensive services of the centre offering a comfortable, diver-friendly B&B, including salt-water pool, gas fills, drying room, shop and boat.

The boat is an excellently fitted Blythe catamaran with plenty of deckspace, lots over covered space, and a wide and fast lift on the back. The boat runs the lazy shot with trapeze convention with the pleasing addition of dropping down lines to enable off-loading of scooters and bottom bailouts, if preferred. Apparently, this is helpful in the challenging conditions alleged to occur in this area.

The crew are very friendly and competent and converge on any diver arriving at the top of the lift and quickly stripping them of stages, scooters, and fins.

To give a feel for the tough conditions we are enduring here is the boat coming in to pick us up from the quayside

and one of the more local wrecks available

and the excellent transport options being used underwater (hooligan race yet to take place)

Last edited by dwhitlow; 12-04-2018 at 12:24 PM.

Where'd The Bubbles Go ....? Capt Morgan's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I just hope the foreign invaders don't plunder our weather
    See you later in the week

The artist formerly known as petlowe.... PeterL's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Morgan View Post
    I just hope the foreign invaders don't plunder our weather
    See you later in the week
    To be fair you do a good job of talking up how grim it is, lucky we ignored you...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Bloody divers

I've dived from Baltimore a couple of times. Very nice , what stuff you aiming for ?

The artist formerly known as petlowe.... PeterL's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanny View Post
    Bloody divers

I've dived from Baltimore a couple of times. Very nice , what stuff you aiming for ?
    The usuals with a stretch to the Viknor, nothing deeper than 90 this time round.

Where'd The Bubbles Go ....? Capt Morgan's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    The usuals with a stretch to the Viknor, nothing deeper than 90 this time round.
    The Viknor is a great dive for hipsters, lots of Jam Jars to use as drinking glasses.
    The guy I dived it with last year found one and had to buy a JJ

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Day One HMS Audacious (64m)

We ventured out and braved the ripples to dive HMS Audacious, at 62m, the first major casualty of the First World war.

Audacious is an awesome wreck with the classic route being to swim through the rudders

and scooter over the guns being traditional where possible

Last edited by dwhitlow; 12-04-2018 at 12:25 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Looks like you are getting a bit of plankton. There is some on the south coast as well. We had none on the West coast at the weekend
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Established TDF Member Ken Hawk's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Shit that looks a bit dark and scary

Quote Originally Posted by dwhitlow View Post
    Day One

We ventured out and braved the ripples to dive HMS Audacious, at 62m, the first major casualty of the First World war.

Audacious is an awesome wreck with the classic route being to swim through the rudders

and scooter over the guns being traditional where possible

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Day 2 U-89 (57m)

After another rough start ...

After braving the raging seas we headed out on the long trip to U-89, a type VIIC U-boat which made the error of surfacing just in the front of a British Cruiser which rammed it and sent it to the seabed with all hands.

After a juggling of plans we ended up arriving a bit late and missed the best of slack. Thankfully this made little difference to those with scooters but it looked hard work for some.

For the fish-lovers out there a handsome cod trapped in netting by the conning tower was cut free and released.

The unfortunate fish can be seen at the bottom left of this shot where it looks lifeless. Were it not for a feeble fin movement as I passed by it would not have been freed.

Before heading up the shot line (and to delay feeling the current) I made a quick sweep of the downstream part of the wreck to check there were no folk fighting the current and then did my best flag impression until someone cut us free (I gather the pull on the line was so strong the pin would not pull).
    Last edited by dwhitlow; 12-04-2018 at 12:25 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast