X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spinal
    TDF Member
    • May 2016

So update time.

Woke up this morning with a headache, which is unusual for me (I've had a headache maybe twice in my life). Slightly worried I try standing, with my eyes closed, with my feet in front of each other and my hands behind my back over one shoulder. I fail and stumble after 15 seconds or so. (at this point I call my colleague and ask him if he can do it). So getting worried I call the hyperbaric chamber in the town I'm visiting for work. Long story short, they were amazingly helpful, put me at ease, had me there until 14:00 trying to assess me, and shoved me in a "therapy chamber" with some pure O2 as a "just in case".

I'll admit to being entirely out of my depth and not really knowing anything that went on (I mean, I understand the physics/mechanics of it - but when they started talking about hyperbaric decompression tables I just went blank).

So now I've been told to keep an eye on it for 48 hours, and if anything unusual crops up, to head back. It's only 15 minutes from my hotel, which is a bonus. Fingers crossed I'm being a hypochondriac... especially as I was hoping to dive over the long weekend... so a clean bill of health will be very appreciated.

M.

Comment

• gobfish1
      Last of the Mohicans
      • Jan 2013

thanks for the update ,

i think if you have been in the pot its 6 week,s b4 diving again , i maybe be wrong tho ,

hope you get your self sorted ,
      None diver as of 2018.

Comment

• smileydiver
        Not short, just concentrated awesome ;)
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Spinal
        So update time.

Woke up this morning with a headache, which is unusual for me (I've had a headache maybe twice in my life). Slightly worried I try standing, with my eyes closed, with my feet in front of each other and my hands behind my back over one shoulder. I fail and stumble after 15 seconds or so. (at this point I call my colleague and ask him if he can do it). So getting worried I call the hyperbaric chamber in the town I'm visiting for work. Long story short, they were amazingly helpful, put me at ease, had me there until 14:00 trying to assess me, and shoved me in a "therapy chamber" with some pure O2 as a "just in case".

I'll admit to being entirely out of my depth and not really knowing anything that went on (I mean, I understand the physics/mechanics of it - but when they started talking about hyperbaric decompression tables I just went blank).

So now I've been told to keep an eye on it for 48 hours, and if anything unusual crops up, to head back. It's only 15 minutes from my hotel, which is a bonus. Fingers crossed I'm being a hypochondriac... especially as I was hoping to dive over the long weekend... so a clean bill of health will be very appreciated.

M.
        Well done for discussing this and for seeking advice. Hope all is OK and no more symptoms.
        The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

• Ian_6301
          Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
          • Jan 2013

Good decision.

Chances are, it's probably just some benign paroxzsmal positional vertigo (BPPV), caused by dislodging some crap in your semi-circular canals... http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/con-20028216 I got this due to a combo of too many somersaults in the pool and a side effect of the SSRIs I am prescribed for depression.

On the other hand, it could be a vestibular bend, which may or may not have then caused the symptoms of BPPV

Either way up, the treatment is the same as the diagnosis - watch and wait and see if it gets worse / get potted and see if it improves. Which one they choose depends on your medical insurance and how crook you look at the time.

Good luck and keep us posted. You've done the right thing by consulting a grown-up!
          Strategy without Tactics is the slowest route to Victory. Tactics without Strategy is the sound before defeat.

Comment

• Iain Smith
            Established TDF Member
            • Dec 2012

So getting worried I call the hyperbaric chamber in the town I'm visiting for work.
            Good call. Fingers crossed this turns out to be nothing serious, but this was exactly the right thing to do.

Iain

Comment

• nickb
              Closed Account: User Requested
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by gobfish1
              i think if you have been in the pot its 6 week,s b4 diving again , i maybe be wrong tho ,
              I got sent down for 3 months by the judge at DDRC. That was after the tox though!!

Comment

• Steve C
                Established TDF Member
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by nickb
                I got sent down for 3 months by the judge at DDRC. That was after the tox though!!
                Did you get time off for bad behavior?

Comment

• Spirit of Guernsey
                  Established WTF Member
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by nickb
                  Did you ask for December, January and February?
                  There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
                  Hippolyte Taine – French critic and historian (1828-93)

Comment

• Tim Digger
                    Prior Member
                    • Feb 2013

So update time.

M.
                    Your case one I would hate to call. Very untypical but have to agree that a standard hyperbaric treatment probably reasonable. Did you get any improvement during the treatment either of headache or any other feeling of unwellness.
                    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
                    Tim Digger

Comment

• mark weaver
                      Established TDF Member
                      • Dec 2012

So update time.

M.
                      If you have had a treatment for a suspected dci technically you would have to declare this if you have to sign a self cert medical when using the services of a dive center abroad, which then means you need to have a fit to dive medical. However if you are training to be a dive master then i believe you will need a HSE medical anyway - i think, no doubt others will know for sure, i am not a DM or instructor.
                      Alternatively if it was just a standard session with o2 then maybe not, but if so why were they talking about treatment tables umm. Hopefully they will let you have a copy of your treatment notes and then you can get further advice on how to proceed.
                      My wife had a vestibular last year and was advised to get a fit to dive medical after a 6 week layoff. We had this done at the chamber at Rugby.

Where was the chamber that treated you?

Hope it works out.

Comment

• Spinal
                        TDF Member
                        • May 2016

Originally posted by mark weaver
                        If you have had a treatment for a suspected dci technically you would have to declare this if you have to sign a self cert medical when using the services of a dive center abroad, which then means you need to have a fit to dive medical. However if you are training to be a dive master then i believe you will need a HSE medical anyway - i think, no doubt others will know for sure, i am not a DM or instructor.
                        Alternatively if it was just a standard session with o2 then maybe not, but if so why were they talking about treatment tables umm. Hopefully they will let you have a copy of your treatment notes and then you can get further advice on how to proceed.
                        My wife had a vestibular last year and was advised to get a fit to dive medical after a 6 week layoff. We had this done at the chamber at Rugby.

Where was the chamber that treated you?

Hope it works out.
                        I was in Dublin, utterly brilliant guys there! Was thoroughly impressed by them. Im in A&E fairly often (more often than not for wrapping cars around trees or trying to drive upside down... but then again I do rallies in my spare time)... and this one of the most professional yet "at ease" experiences. They really took time to make me feel less nervous and worried (and didn't charge me a thing, despite being a private center).

Originally posted by Tim Digger
                        Your case one I would hate to call. Very untypical but have to agree that a standard hyperbaric treatment probably reasonable. Did you get any improvement during the treatment either of headache or any other feeling of unwellness.
                        Yes, headache went away during the treatment... though speaking to the guys there, they said that "normal" migraines in non-diving cases tend to go away as well, so it wasn't a clear cut yes/no.

Down in Anglesey tomorrow, so hopefully there's no issues. Dragging a spare O2 cylinder just in case

M.

Comment

Working...