X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Smiler
    TDF Member
    • Nov 2013

Originally posted by scoobyman
    No worries Tel, think i was clutching at straws.
    Not too keen on coming all this way for a lake but cheers for the heads up all the same.
    Just proper gutted, it cost £150 for me and the wife to be guided for 4mins at 2.5m and we saw f*ck all.

Weve got a trip to Plymouth end of this month so hopefully will have something good to tell you all about.

Still we did learn something today about uk shore diving.
    Plymouth has had some cracking viz recently so fingers crossed for your trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Jericho
      TDF Member
      • Dec 2012

So we finally made it to our diving weekend.

Went out under the Selsey lifeboat station.
      Max depth 2.5m and viz 0-20 cm. Absolutely gutted, dive over. Our Mulberry divers guide went out deeper to check but no joy.
      All boat dives cancelled for Sat & Sun too.

So does anybody know if there is anywhere we might be able to go tomorrow close by to Selsey where we might get a dive in?
      I'm now less grumpy I couldn't come down with you.
      I sink, therefore I dive

Comment

• Pete Bullen
        Dive tart, and 'tog
        • Dec 2012

So we finally made it to our diving weekend.

Went out under the Selsey lifeboat station.
        Max depth 2.5m and viz 0-20 cm. Absolutely gutted, dive over. Our Mulberry divers guide went out deeper to check but no joy.
        All boat dives cancelled for Sat & Sun too.
        And that ladies and gentlemen is one of the main reasons I moved to Gozo. UK diving on a good day is some of the best in the world but it's so rare that the combination of good buddies, the right boat, good topside conditions and good dive conditions all come together. When they do it's fantastic but it's bloody rare and the amount of money wasted on days when it doesn't come together is bloody frustrating unless you live right by the water.
        Diving, and photography holidays in Gozo
        Private guiding, don't follow the crowd.
        http://oceanfoto.co.uk/

Comment

• scoobyman
          TDF Member
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Jericho
          I'm now less grumpy I couldn't come down with you.
          Im now more grumpy lol
          Were thinking about going back next weekend for a day trip, if you fancy it?

Comment

• Jericho
            TDF Member
            • Dec 2012

Depends which day, I'll drop you a pm.
            I sink, therefore I dive

Comment

• dwhitlow
              Coastal Member
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Pete Bullen
              And that ladies and gentlemen is one of the main reasons I moved to Gozo. UK diving on a good day is some of the best in the world but it's so rare that the combination of good buddies, the right boat, good topside conditions and good dive conditions all come together. When they do it's fantastic but it's bloody rare and the amount of money wasted on days when it doesn't come together is bloody frustrating unless you live right by the water.
              There are less radical solutions too. I moved to Portland and live mostly surrounded by sea and waste little on poor conditions. I've had quite a few good days this year and expect quite a few more.

Today my dive plan for the weekend was blown out so I spent a whole £5 and went out with the local club on their RIB. Okay so I blew bubbles, and reminded myself how simple diving can be, and for that price I have (yet) another bag of scallops to deal with.

Comment

• smileydiver
                Not short, just concentrated awesome ;)
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Pete Bullen
                I have to say, this is one of the reasons I choose to go abroad if I have a few days off over a bank holiday for example. It's not a lot more expensive if you can get cheap flights and often food, accommodation etc. is cheaper (at least it was before the value of the pound plummeted!) and you're less likely to be blown out. I love UK diving and I don't think there are many dives that beat playing with the seals, but all too often it's a bit cold, rough and bad viz. I do quite fancy retiring to the Canaries if that is still an option when it comes to it
                The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

• turnerjd
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Jan 2014

I decided to move away permanently...... Things worked out worse, getting to the sea is a nightmare from here, I have to fly somewhere. Starting to get expensive as mini-me now wants to come along.

I'll have to keep the current non-diving SWMBO, and not part-exchange her for a diving model, as then weekends away would be really expensive.
                  My Club (in French)
                  My research group
                  My work

Comment

• scoobyman
                    TDF Member
                    • Aug 2013

Finally got our first UK sea dives in.
                    4 dives with In Deep at Plymouth.
                    James Egan Layne, Scylla, Persier & Mestone Ridges.
                    Absolutely loved it.

Comment

• DJS
                      A country member
                      • Dec 2012

Absolutely loved it.
                      Congratulations and welcome to diving in the South West!

Comment

• scoobyman
                        TDF Member
                        • Aug 2013

[QUOTE=DJS;330Congratulations and welcome to diving in the South West![/QUOTE]

Its officially number one place of where I'd love to relocate too. (The South West)
                        We are off to Cornwall for a week now and going to Porthkerris on Wednesday for two shore dives.

Comment

• scoobyman
                          TDF Member
                          • Aug 2013

Absolutely loved it.
                          Am no good at trip reports, but we dived with In Deep from Mount Batten, they were brilliant.
                          Here's a vid of my 1st UK experience.

Comment

Working...