Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hollis Explorer BOV

As I might have mentioned, I bought a KISS Classic in a pretty poor state (from a financial stand point, this hasn't been my smartest move) and have slowly been getting her back up and running (but I do love a project).

One bit of nice shiny new kit I bought was the Hollis Explorer BOV, which arrived last week and I've just had a little tinker.

The first thing that struck me was how compact and light it is. Compared to the Mares style BOV on my old KISS, it feels miniature. The downside of this being that to me, it feels a bit delicate. Only time will tell...

The adapters required to fit cooper hoses are simple and easy to fit. I haven't actually taken it apart yet (and don't plan to anytime soon) but internally, it looks a lot more complicated than the Mares BOV, which was easy to inspect and service.

The positioning of the LP inlet is in my opinion pretty poor. You need to take the exhale hose off and the hose nuts before a LP hose can be fitted. I was hoping to use a QD so I could plumb in external gas straight to the BOV, but there is no way it would fit.

Other than that, it was reasonably priced, easy to get and supported by KISS (I didn't buy direct).

I know one other guy is using the BOV on here and actually diving it. I think he is pretty pleased. Anyone else used one?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Can I ask what direction is the flow? and can the direction be reversed?

Cathal

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by cathal View Post
    Can I ask what direction is the flow? and can the direction be reversed?

Cathal
    Flow is left to right and I'm not sure if it can be reversed. It might be worth emailing "addhelium" which is where I got mine, they were very helpful.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've used one a fair bit on a kiss spirit and get on really well with it. I've actually bought another one to go on my kiss classic with coopers but haven't used it.

Much nicer and easier inside than the original kiss BOV to strip down. Push out the mushroom spiders gently, and undo the bolt that goes into the little knob, then the barrel just slides out and can be cleaned etc. Breathes a hell of a lot better as well.

You could do the QD, but have it on a longer hose, the you maybe plug it in under your arm or something. They reckoned it was a safety feature to stop the LP hose being unscrewed....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk