X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • String
    Loathes Snorkels
    • Dec 2012

Mexico Training

No idea whether this belongs in here, or in general training or even travel so mods feel free to move!

Basically, i want to do cave, ideally up to full cave and i want to do it in Mexico / Tulum. It's something ive wanted to do for a very long time but only recently has it become a feasible option due to being based in the Caribbean region.

Its time for me to book this years annual leave in work so im after information to do it.

Firstly, when is the best time of year to go (or doesn't it matter at all regarding weather, rainfall etc)? I can choose most months although id rather August or sometime after, sooner is possible if it makes a huge difference.

I can get 14 days or so of leave - is that going to be enough or do i need to look at taking a few extra days unpaid leave as well?

I have no formal training in cavern or cave so starting from scratch in that respect (although i am used unofficially to ferreting around wrecks and into some sea caves elsewhere).

Diving wise i'm trained in OC full trimix, sidemount and CCR air dil (normoxic soon). I'm thinking i probably dont want to do the courses in CCR as it seems to be adding a lot more complexity. Im most comfortable in OC twinset although i can if its beneficial get back into sidemount diving before going.
    So basically, is there any compelling reason to use CCR and if not, would i be better going for standard twinset or a sidemount setup?

Other than that, can people recommend good instructors/reputable companies to go and do all this with so i can contact them and discuss it further?

FWIW i really do want Tulum not Dominican or elsewhere as its somewhere ive always wanted to see since i first started diving so not really looking at alternative destinations.

Any information or additional thoughts is welcome - if its in the wrong sub forum then mods feel free to move!
    Random collection of average photos on Flickr
  • Pete Bullen
    Dive tart, and 'tog
    • Dec 2012

Tom Steiner spends ever European winter in Mexico teaching cave and is a great instructor. He's just arrived back on Gozo for the summer so won't be back on your side of the pond till November. I can put you in touch if that helps.
    Diving, and photography holidays in Gozo
    Private guiding, don't follow the crowd.
    http://oceanfoto.co.uk/

Comment

• String
      Loathes Snorkels
      • Dec 2012

I know Tom from his time in Dahab prior to Gozo anyway so already have his details although id admit id forgotten he spends half the year in Mexico despite Audrey posting regular photos of it!

Comment

• GLOC
        • Dec 2012

Lanny at Underworld Tulum can cover all your needs. Very nice guy, Chimp!

Covers variety of agencies, ex-Royal Navy, early adopter of GUE training, great mindset.

Regards
        Gareth

www.imagesoflife.co.uk - Underwater Print Sales, Teaching and Stock Library
        www.cognitas.org.uk - Improving Safety by Challenging Current Practices
        www.divingincidents.org - Diving Incident and Safety Management System (DISMS)
        - 2014 Report here

“Set your expectations high; find men and women whose integrity and values you respect; get their agreement on a course of action; and give them your ultimate trust.”

“It is far better to be trusted and respected than it is to be liked.”

Comment

• Stew W
          #VanGogh
          • Jun 2013

Originally posted by String
          I know Tom from his time in Dahab prior to Gozo anyway so already have his details although id admit id forgotten he spends half the year in Mexico despite Audrey posting regular photos of it!
          Richard,

Sebastien Kister now has full cave instructor status if you want the Ol' Dahab familiarity

"Depends if you do your ascent on the way up" GLOC 2014

Comment

• Steve Clark
            Established TDF Member
            • Dec 2012

If you are effectively starting from scratch with cave, I'd recommend you go GUE. (No surprise)

You can probably get very good instruction with other agencies with the right instructor and that's fine. However, I know a few people who have started down the cave path and subsequently moved to GUE later for the precision and team stuff. This option doesn't come cheap and you have to start again with fundies.

The main GUE centre is Zero Gravity.

Steve

Comment

• MattD
              TDF Member
              • Jan 2013

I did Cave 1 and Cave 2 with Zero Gravity. Absolutely the best diving courses I have had the fortune to undertake. I have heard really good things about Lanny too, but only have trained with ZG. In fact I am quite sure I met Lanny in the car park of one of the Cenotes, maybe Ponderosa when we were doing C2 swim tests a few weeks ago

Anyway, It's quite an investment to get C2. I had fundamentals in Norway, C1 in Mx, then one trip to Spain, one trip to Mx, some mine dives and then finally C2 18 months after starting. In terms of finances I suppose it was about $12,000 but that includes two Cave 1 experience trips (35 dives).

The team focus and humbling experience of Cave 2 still hasn't quite sunk in yet. I do actually feel like a changed person on some level. I'd also say that I'd be 100% happy diving with any stranger with C2, you just can't get that ticket without being solid.

Comment

• bubbleless
                Established TDF Member
                • Dec 2012

Weather in August is going to be

Comment

• Pete Bullen
                  Dive tart, and 'tog
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by GLOC
                  Lanny at Underworld Tulum can cover all your needs. Very nice guy, Chimp!

Covers variety of agencies, ex-Royal Navy, early adopter of GUE training, great mindset.

Regards
                  I'd have suggested Lanny too if I wasn't so "Gozo centric"
                  Diving, and photography holidays in Gozo
                  Private guiding, don't follow the crowd.
                  http://oceanfoto.co.uk/

Comment

• Iain Smith
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by MattD
                    I did Cave 1 and Cave 2 with Zero Gravity. Absolutely the best diving courses I have had the fortune to undertake....

The team focus and humbling experience of Cave 2 still hasn't quite sunk in yet. I do actually feel like a changed person on some level. I'd also say that I'd be 100% happy diving with any stranger with C2, you just can't get that ticket without being solid.
                    Exactly what he said.

Comment

• Lanny
                      Owner and Lead Instructor at Underworld
                      • Dec 2012

Hi String,

As some kind people have pointed out, I am in Tulum and can help out with cave training, logistics and accommodation. There is some information on our website (link in signature), but to answer your specific questions:

- We dive all year round, and although kitting up gets a little more sticky in July and August, the water is always 25 degrees. Only a direct hit from a hurricane would stop diving, and I have dived in some fairly cheeky torrential tropical storm rain.

- I would recommend doing the course in the configuration you are most comfortable with. There is a lot to learn anyway and students who are very familiar with their gear can concentrate on the cave specific skills.

- 14 days could work, but a few more would be better. A combined cavern and Intro course is 5 days and it is a further 3-4 days to complete Full Cave. We don't do "zero to hero" and recommend some consolidation days between courses. Apart from anything else, it is nice to enjoy the caves without some idiot tormenting you with a blackout mask and a bubble gun. The course are quite full on, so you may also want a day or 2 of down time.

A few people have mentioned ZG. They are an awesome outfit and who I chose to train with when I first visited Mexico. You will get an amazing course from Chris, Danny or Fred. You do need a Fundies tech pass to start C1 and 25 post-course dives to start C2.

If you PM me your e-mail I can send you our pre-course information about skills and equipment. Do also let me know if you need any more information about Mexico or Cave Diving.

With Best Regards,
                      Lanny
                      Living the dream in the Mexican Caves
                      http://www.underworldtulum.com
                      http://www.cavecamp.com

Comment

• String
                        Loathes Snorkels
                        • Dec 2012

Cheers for the replies, i'll send some PMs shortly.

The GUE route isnt an option im really considering mainly due to the time and precursors id need to jump through (and the associated expense).

The prospect of 25c water isn't thrilling though. Its down to 26c here and im in a 3mm hooded vest, thermocline 3mm equivalent top and a 5mm on top of that. Im wishing i had my drysuit!

Comment

• AxeMan
                          Established TDF Member
                          • Dec 2012

Protec in Playa
                          See http://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/ for trip reports including Grand Cayman, Tulum and the Philippines

Comment

Working...