Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yet again on heated vests

hi all

about to pull the trigger on a heating vest. Contenders are Santi e Golem Gear. I've read quite a bit on forums about the Santi one, which seems a solid product but can't find much on the GG, despite being around for longer.
    Any views?

PS Thermalution is not an option

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have a lo!a, as does my girlfriend and two other members of the branch.

Been very impressed and very happy. Going on two years now.

Gareth

Established TDF Member Iain Smith's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mente View Post
    about to pull the trigger on a heating vest. Contenders are Santi e Golem Gear. I've read quite a bit on forums about the Santi one, which seems a solid product but can't find much on the GG, despite being around for longer.
    If you've seen many positive comments about one product, but very little about an alternative, your choice is to go with something which has been well received or to take a stab in the dark. You might find something even better which we all want to hear about...but if it's been around longer than the popular product, that seems unlikely...

Established TDF Member Doomanic's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've got a Santi vest and I'd describe it as a not so cold vest rather than a heated vest, it's never seemed that warm to me. At the moment it's a no heat at all vest because the EO cable has broken.

Established TDF Member Rob Dobson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomanic View Post
    At the moment it's a no heat at all vest because the EO cable has broken.
    Should be easy to fix... Drop me a PM if you need any help.

Established TDF Member Doomanic's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks Rob, I should be OK it's not rocket surgery, but I shouldn't need to repair it after less than a year.

Established TDF Member Rob Dobson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomanic View Post
    I shouldn't need to repair it after less than a year.
    Do you unplug it underwater by any chance?

The life expectancy of robotic chord is (obviously) directly linked to usage. The guys I know who live in Florida cave country will typically dive on their way home from work Mon-Fri and then dive most weekends. Those guys are replacing their regular robotic cables once a month and E/O tends to need replacing more frequently than the normal stuff. If E/O is unplugged in water then it usually needs replacing not long afterwards.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Is there another option? I have a vest and the voltage drops so much through the connector the vest doesn't warm.
    Views expressed here are my own and are not representative of any organisation. If you would like an official reply, I suggest you ask the question on a website the organisation is responsible for, or contact them directly using the phone.
    https://www.facebook.com/BSACChairmanWoz/

Happy atheist, despite the "evidence"...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Dobson View Post
    Do you unplug it underwater by any chance?

The life expectancy of robotic chord is (obviously) directly linked to usage. The guys I know who live in Florida cave country will typically dive on their way home from work Mon-Fri and then dive most weekends. Those guys are replacing their regular robotic cables once a month and E/O tends to need replacing more frequently than the normal stuff. If E/O is unplugged in water then it usually needs replacing not long afterwards.
    I think that calling E/O cable "robotic" is wrong.

Robotic cable is designed to withstand repeated flexing and, in my experience, uses very fine copper strands with some nylon or similar reinforcing thread.

E/O cable (or cord, not "chord") seems to use standard mains flex with tightly compressed twisted paper to resist distortion under pressure.

I think it's utter rubbish and very poor value. It really annoys me that we're forced to buy it. Replacing cables monthly to ensure reliability suggests that the cable does not stand repeated flexing and is therefore not fit for purpose.

There has to be a better option out there.
    Happy to be a feminist SJ(K)W snowflake in a godless universe, no matter what some experts think.

Established TDF Member OutOfTest's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Help an idiot:

I thought the idea of E/O was to enable you to disconnect and reconnect underwater?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast