Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Visiting Rekjavik Iceland-cash or card

SWMBO and I are off to (hopefully) see some northern lights, outside bathing pools, hot rocks and other stuff in iceland. Am I right in thinking that eating out in Rekjavik is no longer eye wateringly expensive, merely expensive. We are there for five days-flights, hotel, breakfast, transfers, trips already paid for.
    Various web sites suggest that credit/debit cards are widely accepted there. So it may make a lot of sense to just pay everything by card. I have about 100 of currency already-daughter was there in 2014.
    Does anyone have any recent experience of eating out in Rekjavik? Card or cash? Where to eat in the city centre? Paying 50 per head is not going to phase me, fortunately(I have eaten in Venice!)

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    At those prices sandwiches or a shotgun
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Was there last February & we found that with the exchange rate using our Visa card worked out cheaper than paying cash. We were paying 30 a head for a very nice but basic fish & chips meal & a couple of soft drinks each. We were aiming at the cheaper restaurants though. Did look at a couple of Steak restaurants & they started at 50 a head just for the steak !
    I trust my rebreather implicitly I just don't trust the owner

Onwards & downwards.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Eating in Reykavik

Quote Originally Posted by Ian@1904 View Post
    SWMBO and I are off to (hopefully) see some northern lights, outside bathing pools, hot rocks and other stuff in iceland. Am I right in thinking that eating out in Rekjavik is no longer eye wateringly expensive, merely expensive. We are there for five days-flights, hotel, breakfast, transfers, trips already paid for.
    Various web sites suggest that credit/debit cards are widely accepted there. So it may make a lot of sense to just pay everything by card. I have about 100 of currency already-daughter was there in 2014.
    Does anyone have any recent experience of eating out in Rekjavik? Card or cash? Where to eat in the city centre? Paying 50 per head is not going to phase me, fortunately(I have eaten in Venice!)
    Ian

We where there in August diving Silfra, the lake and a coastal dive.

We stayed in a B&B just back from the Harbour (Butterfly Guest House).

There is a 'fish and chip' restaurant just over the road from the Harbour (in fact there are two), the one we used was Icelandic Fish and Chips, which was very good, and by Icelandic standards not very expensive.
    We also ate in the Thai just opposite, this was very good value.
    Most other places where considerably more expensive.

The shuttle bus to and from the airport was very good, and dropped us just outside the guest house the first night (rather morning because it was after midnight). They run a coach, then transfer you to a mini bus in Reykavik.
    We used them on the last day, picked us up in the morning, transferred us to the coach, then stopped off at the Blue Lagoon for a few hours before taking us to the airport. If you have an afternoon, evening flight, and are wondering what to do when you vacate your hotel then I recommend the Shuttle, Reykavik - Blue Lagoon - Airport shuttle.

We used Magma diving (if you are going to get a dive in), David is a Brit, ex RN, very well organised, very good service.

Gareth

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Another vote for Magma dive , although we had Kevin as our guide both for diving & tours of the island.
    I trust my rebreather implicitly I just don't trust the owner

Onwards & downwards.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by colinicky View Post
    Another vote for Magma dive , although we had Kevin as our guide both for diving & tours of the island.
    SWMBO has granted permission for some diving. So making enquiries

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I went with www.dive.is. They were alright despite being mostly Welsh. Kit was good quality too.
    See http://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/ for trip reports including Grand Cayman, Tulum and the Philippines

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hope you have a great experience.

I assume you are staying Rekjavick.
    We had a very nice walk around Rekjavick, in my opinion the church was worth a visit, if you do, take a trip up to the top you get a great view of the city.

I am interested in going back for a winter visit to get a different experience.

Gareth

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've just come back from Rejiavick.
    The best fish and chip restaraunt I found was down by the Whale Museum down on the old harbour called cafe cafe Viknor unlimited coffee and water soup to start and cod and chips for 12 quid.
    Other really nice restaraunts all around had a lovely Iceland 5 course taster menu one night that was about 120 quid with drinks.
    Get the Golden Circle tour and include the snow mobiles up on the glacier. We travelled 20 km on the skidoos and I thought that was well worth the price.
    Cash or card is no problem lots of cash points anyway.
    Down load a free app for your phone for the Iceland bars happy hours it will direct you to the best places with the best prices at the time.
    We went to the Blue Lagoon from the airport then spent 4 or 5 hours there and then the bus picks you back up and takes you to you're hotel from the blue lagoon this will save you lots of time as its half way between the airport and rejiavick.
    Cheers Grant.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
    I went with www.dive.is. They were alright despite being mostly Welsh. Kit was good quality too.
    That's praise coming from you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast