Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I recently upgraded a Dell laptop. Took out a 320gb magnetic drive, popped in a 256gb ssd. However if the laptop is a few years old you may find that it's choked with crap. Lots of restore points for example and crappy software. A few hours attacking it will result in lots more space- I freed up nearly 90gb of a mates pc and gave it a new lease of life.

The installation of a clean copy of Windows is bollocks I've never had to in 20 years of running it across a dozen machines. You just need to know what you are doing.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Nav jāuztraucas par manu zirgu Baron015's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lenovo thinkpad 430s hard drive options

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    On the T430 (not sure about the S but it is likely worse) the gotcha if you replace the original drive is taking the replacement out ever again as it goes into a hole end on. The Original drive has very sticky tape you use to pull it out. If you don't have that on the replacement and want the drive back out you have a proper problem.
    You just peel off the tape and stick it to the new drive. I think that's in the instructions now. Same for some other laptops.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    On a T series Thinkpad the caddy replaces the DVD/CD ROM. The new drive goes inside the laptop, so you end up with two.
    Fair enough but then he gets a new additional drive, not extends his boot drive.

I guess he wants to fit a new drive in place of the boot drive and move the original to the caddy for easy cloning (if he is OK to lose the Dvd drive).

TBF that is probably what you said originally anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Baron015; 26-12-2015 at 05:44 PM.

Memento mori.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'd rather have had fresh tape. It is a bit of a no going back process if the tape comes off the new drive.
    I made my new drive the boot disk and left the original 256gb in place just in case I ever make the new one unbootable.
    When I run out of space next I might try messing with the tape.

Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I am going to opt for installing a new drive in place of the CD drive.
    Through Lenovo the caddy was a shocking 88 so will look for an after market alternative.

So now the drive. Where do you recommend I buy one from, whos reliable and has good prices?
    Need no larger 256gb I reckon.
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HDE%C2%AE-Ca.../dp/B00A3UKAJ8

Don't know much about drives. Just check both the read and write are around 500mbs.

Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
    Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HDE%C2%AE-Ca.../dp/B00A3UKAJ8

Don't know much about drives. Just check both the read and write are around 500mbs.
    I am not sure if the ultrabay is the same size and design on regular T models as my slim T430s?
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    I am not sure if the ultrabay is the same size and design on regular T models as my slim T430s?
    Lenovo have a proper manual for the T series

http://thinkpads.com/support/hmm/hmm...0b48538_02.pdf

Ask on the thinkpads.com forum about the different ultrabay types.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12