Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Lenovo thinkpad 430s hard drive options

Advice from computer knowledgeable people please.

I have a Lenovo thinkpad with 256 GB SSD which has been fine for the last few years but now I am looking to increase that a bit.
    I keep photo files and like on an external drives so extra is just to allow me to install software and keep day to day files on.

What are my options?

I know you can take out the DVD / CD drive and insert a caddy but if possible I would prefer to keep the CD drive for now.

Physically I have never installed a hard drive before so this is where I need help. What information do I need when buying a replacement, where can I find a practical guide to both the physical installation as well as process of cloning the existing hard drive, backup recovery just in case...etc?

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Established TDF Member Ron MacRae's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Best option would likely be just a bigger SSD? ThinkPad is quite a robust, well made, machine but all laptops are a bit tricky to disassemble. Website has some docs.

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Several options:

Take existing drive out. Put new bigger SSD in. Clean install Windows. Put original drive in a usb3 external caddy and copy back what you need. Keep cd drive.

Take out cd drive and fit a big SSD in there in a levono caddy/frame. You can get an external cd USB drive for not much when you need it.

Trim down what is on the laptop and use a nas solution for bulk data. Better access for other devices. With a decent nas you can plug other stuff into it for use by any device (external hdd, printers, external cd drives).

I've never used clone software. I prefer to leave the whole original drive intact until I have a new working Windows install and then copy across what I need.

Steve

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have a T430. If you replace the original drive you need some kind of tape attached to the replacement to allow it to be subsequently removed. I didn't have that so just use a caddy.

My Samsung SSD came with cloning software so the new drive was exactly like the 256gb original but bigger.

Could start a fight in a convent. Mikael's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    With the caddy option I guess I can just add the drive without reinstalling windows and software?
    The lower hassle option is desirable at the moment.
    Why is it that with everything in life I always find a more difficult way of doing it (and not intentionally)

Nav jāuztraucas par manu zirgu Baron015's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lenovo thinkpad 430s hard drive options

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    With the caddy option I guess I can just add the drive without reinstalling windows and software?
    The lower hassle option is desirable at the moment.
    Yes but then the drive is external so you have to carry it around separate to the laptop. Also an external drive is not ideal as the boot device, for general purpose use.

Just swap for bigger internal SSD and clone it using supplied software, for least hassle. Will take 15 mins to swap drives, assuming you have right screwdrivers, and less than 30 mins to clone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Memento mori.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Swapping out a hard drive is usually pretty simple, the longest bit is the windows reinstall, you can get hybrid drives for laptops with a large conventional spinning disk of ~1tb and a smaller SSD for the operating system, but if you can't be arsed with the hassle I'd just bung all your media on an external drive of SD cards if you can find some big enough

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron015 View Post
    Yes but then the drive is external so you have to carry it around separate to the laptop. Also an external drive is not ideal as the boot device, for general purpose use.

Just swap for bigger internal SSD and clone it using supplied software, for least hassle. Will take 15 mins to swap drives, assuming you have right screwdrivers, and less than 30 mins to clone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    On a T series Thinkpad the caddy replaces the DVD/CD ROM. The new drive goes inside the laptop, so you end up with two.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lenovo thinkpad 430s hard drive options

Quote Originally Posted by ziggi View Post
    Swapping out a hard drive is usually pretty simple, the longest bit is the windows reinstall, you can get hybrid drives for laptops with a large conventional spinning disk of ~1tb and a smaller SSD for the operating system, but if you can't be arsed with the hassle I'd just bung all your media on an external drive of SD cards if you can find some big enough

On the T430 (not sure about the S but it is likely worse) the gotcha if you replace the original drive is taking the replacement out ever again as it goes into a hole end on. The Original drive has very sticky tape you use to pull it out. If you don't have that on the replacement and want the drive back out you have a proper problem.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    On the T430 (not sure about the S but it is likely worse) the gotcha if you replace the original drive is taking the replacement out ever again as it goes into a hole end on. The Original drive has very sticky tape you use to pull it out. If you don't have that on the replacement and want the drive back out you have a proper problem.
    That sounds bizarre, I assume it saves space somehow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast