• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phate
    Bewildered Nomad
    • Jan 2014

Indonesia recommendations please :)

Hi all,

One of our around the world destinations is Indo, and we don't have any further plans than flying to Bali on Feb 3rd. We've got approximately 2-3 weeks in Indo.

I'm not looking for any liveaboard information. Just recommendations for dive sites and centres that aren't run by cowboys where I can turn up and do a day or so's diving.

Ana is considering doing her PADI OW as well, so needs to be "non diver" friendly if that makes sense. She needs to feel comfortable ofcourse.

Any and all recommendations welcome. Thank you in advance!

Jake
    Travel Blog Twitter
  • falco
    New TDF Member
    • Jan 2013

Try 'Joe's gone diving' in Sanur. Dived there in May and can vouch for the good reviews on Tripadvisor.

Comment

• londonsean69
      Bacon fiend
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Phate
      Hi all,

One of our around the world destinations is Indo, and we don't have any further plans than flying to Bali on Feb 3rd. We've got approximately 2-3 weeks in Indo.

I'm not looking for any liveaboard information. Just recommendations for dive sites and centres that aren't run by cowboys where I can turn up and do a day or so's diving.

Ana is considering doing her PADI OW as well, so needs to be "non diver" friendly if that makes sense. She needs to feel comfortable ofcourse.

Jake
      Staying in Bali? Or travelling around Indonesia?

Bali is but 1 of 17000 islands in Indo.

I personally used Tulamben Wreck Divers up on the North East coast. Good bunch, nice mix of diving, and local to the USS Liberty (It's over the road). This was in 2008 though.

TwoFish divers have a centre on Nusa Lembongan (just off the Bali coast), good for Mantas. I've used TwoFish in Lembeh before and would recommend them.

Bali is one of the better bets for a non-diver, however places like Tulamben are just 1 road towns, so you do need to pick and choose where you want to dive. SWMBO did her OW in Padang Bai, it's a bit livelier/backpackery than Tulamben, so may be a better choice, but I am not sure how good the diving is down there.

It depends what sort of diving you want to do, and if you want to travel around - Indonesia has a lot to offer, but it's spread out.
      Sean

A few more pics - www.arrowpix.com

Comment

• Tim Digger
        Prior Member
        • Feb 2013

Since your life ( currently ) is not only diving. I would say see Bali. There is a lot of diving and surface interest. But one of the nicest resort/dive centres we have been to was Scuba Seraya. Their own web site seems to be under reconstruction but they are a typical PADI outfit with good equipment and a cared for place to stay. The area is fantastic for both Macro, reef and wreck it is only 1.5 km from the Tulumben wreck which you at least must dive at dawn to see the emerging bumpheads. Bali would be a great place to persuade someone that they want to dive, but they may not want to dive anywhere but Indonesia again. If you dive the Tulumben wreck from land there is an organised carry system for gear to waters edge. All the porters are local ladies and quite able to heft a twinset!!! Please use them it is a local income stream.
        Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
        Tim Digger

Comment

• Baron015
          Nav jāuztraucas par manu zirgu
          • Jan 2013

+1 for Scuba Seraya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Memento mori.

Comment

• SouthCoastDiver
            TDF Member
            • Jan 2013

Hey Jake

My two teenage daughters did their OW in Bali with www.aquamarinediving.com

We chose to do it in Tulamben but AquaMarine have other places to choose from as well.

The gear was good, the instructor patient and safe and the communication from Bali while organising the trip was excellent.

AquaMarine, while using Indonesian dive instructors and guides is owned and run by a British ex-pat. Can't recommend them highly enough.

They do dive trips as well if you want to slip away or once your girlfriend is qualified.

Steve

Comment

• Tim Digger
              Prior Member
              • Feb 2013

While we are on Bali (wish I was) I would not advise taking newly qualified GF to Secret Bay, Gilmanuk, unless she is rapidly into Macro muck dives. It is an acquired taste with viz like a British Quarry on a bad Sunday mid summer, we did three dives there when we visited and saw a tremendous amount of stuff. Its 6-7 m deep all over and even the local dive guides use a compass now and again.
              Last edited by Tim Digger; 19-12-2015, 12:23 PM.
              Tim Digger

Comment

• laura0207
                TDF Member
                • Dec 2013

I've dived Indonesia a fair bit and can recommend -

Bali - the first time I travelled north to tulemben diving the Liberty wreck and surrounding muck dives, lovely diving however the town was VERY quiet. Second time I dived with all4diving in Sanur, I chose to do two trips to Nusa Penida to see the manta rays, but they do do day trips to The Liberty wreck and other sites around Bali.

Gili islands - 3 very different islands, I stayed on Gili Trawangan (party) island, but all dive centres on all islands seem to go to all the dive sites plus some in Lombok. I really liked blue marlin dive centre.

Komodo is incredible, I did a liveaboard with Wicked, but loads of scope for day diving

Raja Ampat is a fair commute but stunning diving.. It is really just for diving though

Comment

• lost cuttlefish
                  New TDF Member
                  • Feb 2016

That is all true..
                  if you want to avoid the crowd in Bali, choose a place like Sumbawa, very close to Bali and untouched by tourism. Diving is cheap and it is plenty of accommodation to choose..!
                  Enjoy!

Comment

• Turbanator
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Phate
                    Hi all,

Jake
                    Have you been? How was it?
                    'I saw some purple slug things on the Scylla, so I squished them' - #MiniBodger

Comment

• Tim Digger
                      Prior Member
                      • Feb 2013

I think this is the latest from Phate.

I think still in Oz.
                      Tim Digger

Comment

• Jen - Winged Blob
                        Supergnu
                        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Tim Digger
                        They're at Lumba Lumba now.

Comment

• greatwhite
                          Established TDF Member
                          • May 2013

Originally posted by lost cuttlefish
                          That is all true..
                          if you want to avoid the crowd in Bali, choose a place like Sumbawa, very close to Bali and untouched by tourism. Diving is cheap and it is plenty of accommodation to choose..!
                          Enjoy!
                          What is the diving like in Sumbawa please?

Comment

• laura0207
                            TDF Member
                            • Dec 2013

Blue Corner dive centre on Nusa Lembongan was excellent (HIGHLY recommend Nusa Lembongan - very chilled out vibe, good diving - 2017 last visited)
                            All4Diving - Sanur Bali - friendly diveguides, trips out to see mantas in Nusa Penida (however I'd opt to stay on Nusa Lembongan)
                            Blue Marlin - Gili Air - friendly staff, great dive sites - lots of turtles/sharks
                            Wicked Diving - Komodo - excellent set up, very knowledgable guides, courses can be completed - however I'd avoid the area for OW as imagine it could put people off as it's quite currenty/adrenaline packed! (done 4 liveaboards with them though think they might do day trips too)

Comment

• Eddie Clamp
                              Established TDF Member
                              • Jan 2013

Some stuff here: https://www.thediveforum.com/showthr...nd-the-Pacific
                              Eddie
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGQ61LapY3Q

Comment

Working...